Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Serena Williams fined $17,000 for three code violations during US Open final

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,082 Times in 59,901 Posts

Whine Serena Williams fined $17,000 for three code violations during US Open final

by Pete Blackburn - CBS Sports

Saturday's US Open women's final went to Naomi Osaka, who became the first Japanese player to win a Grand Slam event. However, the result was overshadowed by a controversial dispute between Serena Williams and chair umpire Carlos Ramos during the second set at Arthur Ashe Stadium.

On Sunday, Williams was fined $17,000 for her role in the incident.

During that second set, Williams was given a warning from Ramos after the umpire determined her coach was attempting to instruct her using hand signals, which results in code violation. Williams was upset by the accusation, denying that she received any coaching and claiming that her coach was simply giving her a thumbs up. She demanded an apology from Ramos.

"You owe me an apology. I have never cheated in my life! I have a daughter and I stand for what's right for her," Williams told Ramos on the court. "I don't cheat to win. I'd rather lose."

Williams remained upset and later smashed her racket on the court, which resulted in another violation -- this time resulting in a point penalty. This made the 36-year-old Williams even more upset, leading to her further chastising Ramos -- including calling him a "thief." Eventually, a full game penalty was leveled against Williams.

It was a costly violation for Williams, who dropped the second set -- and the match -- shortly thereafter. Even as she tried to remain gracious in defeat, it was clear that Williams was still bothered by the incident.

It was clear that Williams was extremely bothered by the game penalty. She accused Ramos of sexism, saying she wouldn't have been penalized for verbal abuse if she were a man. She doubled down on that in her post-match remarks.

"I can't sit here and say I wouldn't say he's a thief because I feel like he took the game from me," Williams said at the podium. "I've seen other men call other umpires several things and I'm here fighting for women's rights and women's equality. And for him to take a game? It made me feel like it was a sexist remark. I mean, like he's never taken a game from a man because he's said thief. It blows my mind. But I'm gonna continue to fight for women."

After the match, Williams' coach, Patrick Mouratoglou, admitted that he was trying to coach Williams during the final.

"I'm honest, I was coaching," Mouratoglou ceded. "I don't think she looked at me so that's why she didn't even think I was."

"But I was, like 100 percent of the coaches in 100 percent of the matches so we have to stop this hypocritical thing. Sascha (Bajin, Osaka's coach) was coaching every point, too."

Mouratoglou also said that Ramos should have handled his interaction with Williams differently, finding a way to de-escalate the situation rather than creating additional drama, because you "don't screw a Grand Slam final."

Mouratoglou said that, if he was Ramos, he would have told Serena, "'I've seen your coach do a movement and tell him to stop, otherwise you'll have a warning.' And I don't understand why he didn't do that, where all the other chair umpires do this all year long, including him."

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Serena's an egotistical arsehole that believes she's bigger than the game, fuck her, she should get a ban for what she did. Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and the young first-time finalist had acted like that..... pretty sure there would be widespread condemnation.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-10-2018), RBP (09-10-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (09-11-2018)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    dont cheat

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-10-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Goofy (09-11-2018), lost in melb. (09-10-2018), RBP (09-10-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Serena's a woman? I never realised

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-10-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Update Martina Navratilova criticizes Serena Williams' behavior at US Open final

By Samuel Chamberlain | Fox News

Eighteen-time Grand Slam singles champion Martina Navratilova criticized Serena Williams' conduct during her U.S. Open defeat in the pages of The New York Times Monday, writing that Williams engaged in behavior "that no one should be engaging in on the court."

Williams was cited three times by chair umpire Carlos Ramos during the second set of her 6-2, 6-4 loss to Naomi Osaka in Saturday's singles final. The first penalty, for getting coaching signals, earned her a warning. The second penalty, for breaking her racket, cost her a point. The third penalty, for berating Ramos and calling him a thief, cost her a game.

Williams argued that Ramos would not have penalized her so harshly if she were a man. WTA CEO Steve Simon agreed, saying in a statement that the organization "believes that there should be no difference in the standards of tolerance provided to the emotions expressed by men vs. women ... We do not believe that this was done [Saturday] night."

However, Navratilova wrote that the focus on the sexism controversy "is missing the point."

"[W]e cannot measure ourselves by what we think we should also be able to get away with," she said, adding, "There have been many times when I was playing that I wanted to break my racket into a thousand pieces. Then I thought about the kids watching. And I grudgingly held on to that racket."

"Had I behaved like that on a tennis court, I would have expected to get everything that happened to Serena," Navratilova told Times reporter Juliet Macur in a separate story. "It should've ended ... with the point warning, but Serena just couldn’t let it go."

In her op-ed, Navratilova said that Williams was correct when she claimed that "[t]here is a huge double standard for women when it comes to how bad behavior is punished — and not just in tennis."

However, she added, "I don't believe it's a good idea to apply a standard of 'If men can get away with it, women should be able to, too.' Rather, I think the question we have to ask ourselves is this: What is the right way to behave to honor our sport and to respect our opponents?"

Navratilova's comments were backed by longtime player-turned-broadcaster Mary Carillo.

"At her very best — and she is very often at her very best — I respect and admire Serena beyond measure," Carillo told MSNBC on Monday. "...But at her very worst, as she was on [Saturday] night, she acts like a bully."

"If you follow tennis at all, you know those rules. They are inviolate," Carillo added. "A lot of these people that are weighing in and saying double standard. I'm saying, you know what? This is not the hill you want to die on."

Also Monday, the International Tennis Federation backed Ramos, saying his "decisions were in accordance with the relevant rules" and "reaffirmed by the U.S. Open's decision to fine Serena Williams for the three offenses."

On Sunday, tournament referee Brian Earley docked Williams a total of $17,000: $10,000 for "verbal abuse" of Ramos, $4,000 for being warned for coaching and $3,000 for breaking her racket.

The ITF added that "Ramos undertook his duties as an official according to the relevant rule book and acted at all times with professionalism and integrity."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-11-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    "[W]e cannot measure ourselves by what we think we should also be able to get away with," she said, adding, "There have been many times when I was playing that I wanted to break my racket into a thousand pieces. Then I thought about the kids watching. And I grudgingly held on to that racket."

"Had I behaved like that on a tennis court, I would have expected to get everything that happened to Serena," Navratilova told Times reporter Juliet Macur in a separate story. "It should've ended ... with the point warning, but Serena just couldn’t let it go."

In her op-ed, Navratilova said that Williams was correct when she claimed that "[t]here is a huge double standard for women when it comes to how bad behavior is punished — and not just in tennis."

However, she added, "I don't believe it's a good idea to apply a standard of 'If men can get away with it, women should be able to, too.' Rather, I think the question we have to ask ourselves is this: What is the right way to behave to honor our sport and to respect our opponents?"

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-11-2018), RBP (09-11-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Good on you Martina

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-11-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Can't get the exact tweet, but I think you know what I'm trying to say. Agree with black girl re the first pic. Those two pics don't necessarily equate ( funny though) ..
    Last edited by lost in melb.; 09-11-2018 at 12:36 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-11-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

Goofy (09-11-2018), lost in melb. (09-11-2018), RBP (09-11-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yes. That's the exact cartoon!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-11-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The fluff-heads are coming out of the woodwork

24. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-11-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Lets just all take a minute to be thankful they were not dress code violations..

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-11-2018), PorkChopSandwiches (09-11-2018), RBP (09-11-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    I was reading about this Ump. Apparently he’s a loser, Rafa said he’d never play for him again too and Rafa seems like a real chill dude. I think this Carlos guy is a loser.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-11-2018)