#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Oops iPhone XS and XS Max Don't Survive Drops

By Matthew Humphries - PC Mag

If you've paid a small fortune to have an iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max in your pocket, the answer to the question "should it put it in a protective case?" is a resounding yes! These very expensive new iPhones may boast IP68 water resistance and more durable glass, but dropping them will most likely be a complete disaster for both your phone and your bank balance.

As MacRumors reports, a range of tests have been carried out by SquareTrade, which offers warranties to protect your gadgets in case the worst happens. With that in mind, you can see the barrage of tests carried out and the damage caused in the video below. I warn you it's not pretty if you find the iPhone to be a thing of beauty.

Apple claims the glass used in these new iPhone is its most durable ever. Both XS models are fitted with dual-ion exchange-strengthened glass, but that doesn't seem to matter during drop tests. Dropping the XS or XS Max from six feet results in hairline fractures, shattered and raised pieces of glass, as well as loose glass that could just fall out. It doesn't seem to matter which way around you drop the phones, either, as cracked glass will be the result.

The 60 second tumble test also resulted in a broken phone, with the glass showing hairline fractures, scratches, and loose pieces. The bend test resulted in a broken screen at the 250lbs of pressure mark. The good news is, both smartphones will survive being submerged in liquid thanks to the IP68 rating, just don't drop them on to a hard floor.

SquareTrade concludes that the iPhone XS$999.00 at Apple Store has a high risk of breaking, where as the iPhone XS Max$1,099.00 at Apple Store has a medium risk. Both handsets are stronger than last year's iPhone X, so there's that. But your take away from this should be not to risk drop damage by purchasing a good case to put your iPhone inside. Otherwise, you'll be faced with paying a repair bill of several hundred dollars if it drops out of your pockets or slides out of your hand.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-24-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Neither does Galaxy S6x edge..

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Do people really not get cases and screen protector glass?
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post

Seems like I've met two types of people don't take care of expensive things like phones: poor people who (inexplicably) don't give a shit, and rich people who don't give a shit

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-25-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (09-26-2018)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Seems like I've met two types of people don't take care of expensive things like phones: poor people who (inexplicably) don't give a shit, and rich people who don't give a shit
    I do buy a decent case for my phones when I get them brand new, but I always refuse the insurance and on the occasions when I've bought the new phones for either myself or the wife, the clerk always looks at me like I'm crazy and tries and give me the hard sell on the insurance. What a scam that is

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Im still running the S6 and it's still in mint condition as i bought a shockproof/waterproof case when i got it Battery aint lasting as long as it used to but upgrading to the latest Samsung would cost me around £45 per month for a similar contract to the one im on which is £12 pm.