Thread: Dwayne Johnson faces backlash after casting himself as John Henry in new Netflix movie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    #DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

SJW Dwayne Johnson faces backlash after casting himself as John Henry in new Netflix movie

By Andrea Park - CBS News

Not everybody is happy that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is set to play folklore legend John Henry. The actor posted a teaser for "John Henry and the Statesmen" on Instagram on Tuesday. Henry is an African-American folk hero who, as a steel driver, raced against a steam machine and won, giving up his life in the process.

Johnson wrote on Instagram that he's excited to play one of his "childhood heroes." In the upcoming Netflix film, he will lead an ensemble of "the most popular folklore figures and legends from different cultures around the world." He continued, "@NETFLIX is the perfect partner & platform to bring these global folklore icons to life. ... The legend of JOHN HENRY'S strength, endurance, dignity and cultural pride was instilled in my DNA at a very young age. My dad would sing 'Big John' to me every time he would put me to bed." He released a brief video teaser along with the announcement.

link="https://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
    View this post on Instagram

WHEN THE MAN COMES AROUND. Inspired to bring to life one of my childhood heroes, John Henry, in JOHN HENRY & THE STATESMEN. In this movie, I’ll lead an ensemble of the most popular folklore figures and legends from different cultures around the world. @NETFLIX is the perfect partner & platform to bring these global folklore icons to life. The NETFLIX brand speaks directly to our @sevenbucksprod ethos of being bold, ambitious and game changing - and most importantly, always thinking “Audience first” in homes all around the world. The legend of JOHN HENRY’S strength, endurance, dignity and cultural pride was instilled in my DNA at a very young age. My dad would sing “Big John” to me every time he would put me to bed. At bedtime most children get loving nursery rhyme songs — I got this/ Every mornin’ at the mine, you could see him arrive. He stood 6 foot 6 and weighed 245. Kind of broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip. And everybody knew you didn’t give no lip to Big John. Big John. Big Bad John. Directing this big ol’ tentpole is the talented and passionate, Jake Kasdan. Jake and I found nice success together in a little movie called, JUMANJI. Gonna be a lot of fun bringing these legends to life. My childhood hero. The steel driving man and his disruptive band of international folklore legends. JOHN HENRY & THE STATESMEN @sevenbucksprod @danygarciaco @hhgarcia41 @flynnpictureco @NETFLIX

A post shared by therock (@therock) on

Jake Kasdan, who worked with Johnson on "Jumanji," directs. Johnson will produce the film, along with Kasdan, and Seven Bucks Productions' Dany Garcia and Hiram Garcia and Beau Flynn of FlynnPictureCo.

Many Twitter users pointed out that Henry is portrayed in folklore as a dark-skinned black man. Johnson is mixed race; his father is black and his mother is Samoan. Johnson has played white, black and Pacific Islander characters in the past.

Some even accused Johnson of playing up his black heritage when it's convenient.

In a GQ profile last year, Johnson said people most frequently guess that he is Greek.

In 2016, Zoe Saldana faced criticism for playing jazz legend Nina Simone, who was proud of her dark skin. Simone's own family told Saldana to "go to hell" on Twitter.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Jesus, leave the guy alone. He's playing the roll because he is a big name star and he's ripped. Maybe they can get some huge charcoal colored black man that no one gives a fuck about to play the role.. And maybe it can air on PBS one night as a documentary.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

Noilly Pratt (10-11-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (10-11-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    So basically, The Rock isn't black enough so he can't play a black role. Right, got it.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (10-11-2018)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    So basically, The Rock isn't black enough so he can't play a black role. Right, got it.
    You have to love the logic of the SJW's....in their mind, this is wrong because, like you said, he's not black enough. But also in their twisted logic, it's okay, for example, to have a black girl cast in the lead role of Annie even though Annie is a red headed white girl and always has been and if you disagree with a black girl playing Annie, than you are a mouth breathing bigot member of the KKK.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (10-11-2018), Muddy (10-11-2018), Noilly Pratt (10-11-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    You have to love the logic of the SJW's....in their mind, this is wrong because, like you said, he's not black enough. But also in their twisted logic, it's okay, for example, to have a black girl cast in the lead role of Annie even though Annie is a red headed white girl and always has been and if you disagree with a black girl playing Annie, than you are a mouth breathing bigot member of the KKK.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Yep.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Hasn't hollywood been changing the race and gender of all kinds of people?

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Hasn't hollywood been changing the race and gender of all kinds of people?
    No Mel Gibson was Scottish in Braveheart, American in the Patriot. Never change nationality