Thread: Shaun White apologizes to Special Olympians over ‘Simple Jack’ Halloween costume

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

SJW Shaun White apologizes to Special Olympians over ‘Simple Jack’ Halloween costume

By Edmund DeMarche | Fox News

Three-time Olympic gold medalist Shaun White apologized on Tuesday to Special Olympians over his decision to post a picture of himself dressed up for Halloween as the character 'Simple Jack’ from the 2008 movie ‘Tropic Thunder.’

'Simple Jack' was a character in the movie who was mentally challenged.

White, 32, faced social media backlash and posted his apology on Twitter. He called the selection a poor choice.

"It was a last minute decision," he posted. "It was the wrong one. The Special Olympics were right to call me out on it. They do great work supporting so many tremendous athletes and I am sorry for being insensitive. Lesson learned."

A spokesman for the Special Olympics told TMZ in a statement that the organization was disappointed that White would choose the outfit that “causes so much pain.”

White has since deleted the Instagram post, but not before The Huffington Post took a screenshot of the picture.

‘Simple Jack’ was a character in the movie ‘Tropic Thunder.’ Ben Stiller played a fading action star ‘Tugg Speedman,’ who made an attempt at a more serious role ‘Simple Jack,’ which was widely mocked in the film.

The Special Olympics, at the time, called for people to avoid the movie over the role, People reported.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Not the best move, Shaun..

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Who fucking cares, its a character in a movie

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    some people clearly do care

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Update Ben Stiller says he apologized for ‘Simple Jack,’ stands by Shaun White

By Stephen Sorace | Fox News

Ben Stiller on Tuesday said that he stands by his apology for portraying Simple Jack, a mentally-challenged character from the 2008 movie "Tropic Thunder," a day after three-time Olympic gold medalist Shaun White apologized for dressing up as the character for Halloween.

Stiller, who directed and starred in the movie, addressed the issue on social media. He said he apologized when the movie was first released and “boycotted” by groups who deemed it offensive.

“Actually Tropic Thunder was boycotted 10 years ago when it came out, and I apologized then,” the 52-year-old actor wrote. “It was always meant to make fun of actors trying to do anything to win awards.”

Disability groups at the time had come out against the movie, calling the Simple Jack character offensive and tasteless, TMZ reported.

“I stand by my apology, the movie, Shaun White, And the great people and work of the @SpecialOlympics,” Stiller wrote.

White, 32, posted an apology on Twitter. He called his selection a poor choice.

"It was a last minute decision," he posted. "It was the wrong one. The Special Olympics were right to call me out on it. They do great work supporting so many tremendous athletes and I am sorry for being insensitive. Lesson learned."

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Oh no, people got offended, whatever shall we do?