Thread: Introducing 'Monopoly For Millennials.' It’s Too Real To Be Funny (But It's Still Funny).

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

LOL Introducing 'Monopoly For Millennials.' It’s Too Real To Be Funny (But It's Still Funny).

By Paul Bois - The Daily Wire

The iconic board game Monopoly has a whole bunch of iterations and themes, but Hasbro has outdone itself this time by releasing what can only be described as the first-ever Monopoly tailored to a specific generation: Monopoly for Millennials.

"Forget real estate. You can't afford it anyway," reads the tagline to the board game that strikes a nerve every bit as much as it strikes the jugular, a game too real to be funny, which is exactly why it's so funny. "Adulting is hard. You deserve a break from the rat race," reads the box's back alongside a graphic of Uncle Pennybags taking a selfie.

As the caption suggests, players of this Monopoly are too flat broke to buy any actual real estate. Instead, they are invited to buy "experiences." According to Mashable, those experiences include going to the Vegan Bistro, crashing on a Friend's Couch, or embarking on a Week-Long Meditation Retreat. The game also encourages players with the most debt to roll the dice first.

Players who collect the most experience points win the game, according to Hasbro's directions.

"Collect Experience points by visiting the hottest Destinations," reads the description on Amazon. "IT'S ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE: In this version of the Monopoly game, the player who collects the most Experience -- not the most money -- wins the game."

In a play of marketing genius, Hasbro will be selling the game for $19.82, a reference to the year that millennials were born. A.V. Club, however, maintains Hasbro missed it by a year, since the Pew Research Center data suggests the generation started in 1981.

Needless to say, "Monopoly for Millennials" has not exactly gone over well with its target audience, who have been blasting it on Twitter as a cruel joke of the Baby Boomer generation.

"Hasbro, can you provide the URL for the Hasbro-official website featuring "Monopoly for Millennials," where you trash on my age demographic because baby boomers caused an economic catastrophe that rendered us financially impotent for a decade? Thanks!" said one angered Twitter user.

Another Twitter user said: "I'm not sure who @hasbro made Monopoly for Millennials for? As if we don't get sh*t on enough lol... A game about millennial life should absolutely include paying rent. A lot of it. The vast majority of us can't afford to spend money on 'experiences.' Anyway, disappointed."

"I think [Monopoly for Millennials] is pretty offensive and uses stereotypes to make fun of millennials, but I am a millennial so I'm probably too close to the issue," said another user.

Another said: "Next, Monopoly for Baby Boomers: where you buy property for below value price, only people of color go to jail, and when you pass “Go” you get to complain about Millennials!!!"

One offended millennial immediately took to Amazon to trash the game with a one-star review.

"I would give no stars if I could. I saw this product in Walmart and it just made me sad," reads the review. "I live in a place where housing is very expensive and this game would be depressing. Spots on the game board are - Go live with your parents, Go live on your friend's couch. I think Milton Brady made a misstep on this one. Sad commentary on society. And $44 on Amazon - please."

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    If you say "adulting" Then you are a fucking child

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

Godfather (11-16-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (11-15-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Everybody "triggered" these days... The Booms , The X's the Millenialls, the Libs, the gays, the woman, the blacks

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    I like this one:

Can you provide the URL for the Hasbro-official website featuring "Monopoly for Millennials," where you trash on my age demographic because baby boomers caused an economic catastrophe that rendered us financially impotent for a decade? Thanks!
    What about all of us people with jobs and homes and families? How are we doing it but the millenials can't? Magic?

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    This is so goofy. Anyone offended is a joke, whoever wrote that tagline is too.

Real talk though. Monopoly is a terrible game. Anyone played Catan? That's a great strategy board game.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    play it all the time with my 13 and 15 year old

9. The Following User Says Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

Godfather (11-16-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's so good, few of my friends have the expansions too which add a lot to the game.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    yep

i play about once a month with a board game group (i know, super dorky, but ) of mostly biostatisticians there are a ton of awesome board games out there, one of my favorites is betrayal at house on the hill.

no one will play dominion with me anymore

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ohh I've heard Betrayal is sweet.

My buddies are kind of nerdy too, we get together and play board games once a month or so as well. Sometimes just poker but we mix it up. Codenames is fun for groups, as is Coup and The Resistance. It seems like there's a huge resurgence of good board games right now, so many good ones.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    played all those you mentioned, all great