Thread: Kevin Hart steps down from Oscar hosting gig amid criticism over past anti-gay tweets

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

SJW Kevin Hart steps down from Oscar hosting gig amid criticism over past anti-gay tweets

By Louis Casiano | Fox News

Comedian Kevin Hart has announced he is stepping down from hosting the 2019 Academy Awards amid criticism over years-old tweets deemed anti-gay.

Hart, 39, posted on Twitter early Friday an apology to the LGBTQ community for his past comments.

“I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year's Oscar's....this is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists. I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past,” Hart tweeted.

In a follow-up tweet, he added that" "I'm sorry that I hurt people.. I am evolving and want to continue to do so. My goal is to bring people together not tear us apart. Much love & appreciation to the Academy. I hope we can meet again."

The announcement came two days after Hart announced on his Instagram account that he’d been selected to host the 91st Academy Awards, which will be broadcast Feb. 24. He was slated to take over the hosting duties from Jimmy Kimmel, who emceed the past two ceremonies.

Shortly after announcing the hosting gig, several now-deleted tweets by Hart using words such as “homo” and “gay,” dating back to 2011, resurfaced.

In a 2010 stand-up special, Hart said "If I can prevent my son from being gay, I will."

GLAAD, a media monitoring group founded by LGBT people in media, said it had contacted the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to discuss Hart’s gig prior to him stepping down.

"We’ve reached out to @ABCNetwork, @TheAcademy and @KevinHart4real’s management to discuss Kevin’s anti-LGBTQ rhetoric and record as well as opportunities for positive LGBTQ inclusion on the Oscars stage," the group tweeted.

Late Thursday, Hart reacted to the backlash in an Instagram video.

[IGM]p/BrEFNFalWgw[/IGM]

"If u want to search my history or past and anger yourselves with what u find that is fine with me, a shirtless Hart said. "I’m almost 40 years old and I’m in love with the man that I am becoming. "If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past then...I'm the wrong guy, man."

Some Twitter users, including celebrities, were not amused.

Chad Griffin, president of Human Rights Campaign, which advocates for LGBTQ equality, also chimed in.

In another Instagram video, Hart said the Academy asked him to apologize for the past tweets or "we're going to have to move on to find another host."

"I chose to pass," Hart said. "The reason I passed because I've addressed this several times. I've said where the rights and wrongs were. I've who I am now versus who I was then."

"We feed into the Internet trolls and we reward them, I'm not going to do it, man. I'm going to be me, and stand my ground," he continued.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Remember boys and girls, in this brave new world, anything you've ever said in your entire life is going to define you forever and be held against you in the court of PC public opinion.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (12-08-2018), Muddy (12-07-2018), RBP (12-08-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Good on him for standing up to the snowflakes

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (12-08-2018), RBP (12-08-2018)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    It's a shit gig anyway

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Remember boys and girls, in this brave new world, anything you've ever said in your entire life is going to define you forever and be held against you in the court of PC public opinion.
    I think it always did, just now every sees and reads it, rather than just those who were there.
    In my adult life, one person has called me a 'cunt' in anger, unlike all my mates who are a bunch of cunts and refer to each other as cunts forever.
    This one person i will always remember, and if a chance presents itself, i will set fire to his body and watch him burn while i stoke his ethereal mess with petrol.

He said it once, he meant it, it will be his to live with forever.
    If someone tweets such a message, then it'll either bounce off or catch.

I do understand that people change, views change etc, but what doesn't change is that anything you post online, can likely be dragged back up, and used to fucking batter you whenever.
    Kevin Hart is a victim of such.
    He didn't do himself any favours trying to get out of it.
    It is court of public opinion, and you only win that in this modern 'offended' world by avoiding it, apologising for it, or grabbing it by the pussy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Kevin's not funny IMO but this is fucked.

I wish an organization or company would just ignore this shit and see what happens. Don't even address the twitter trolls, just continue on with your day because a dumb tweet from 7 years ago has as much relevance as these people do now. What would happen, really? Would there be boo's? Would people picket at the Oscars? Would their sponsors see any dip in sales? Would viewership drop lower than it already is? I really, really doubt it...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (12-08-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    It's a shit gig anyway
    Shut your dick hole, fag.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (12-08-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Kevin's not funny IMO but this is fucked.

I wish an organization or company would just ignore this shit and see what happens. Don't even address the twitter trolls, just continue on with your day because a dumb tweet from 7 years ago has as much relevance as these people do now. What would happen, really? Would there be boo's? Would people picket at the Oscars? Would their sponsors see any dip in sales? Would viewership drop lower than it already is? I really, really doubt it...
    I don't think the ratings can go much lower for these award shows now They've all become political platforms for the Uber elite of Hollywood anymore

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I don't think the ratings can go much lower for these award shows now They've all become political platforms for the Uber elite of Hollywood anymore
    You have to watch it. Every time they mention or reference Trump you take a shot. Anyone left standing at the end of the show wins.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Awesome Nick Cannon STRIKES BACK, Defends Kevin Hart By Posting 'Homophobic' Tweets From Woke Comedians

By Emily Zanotti - The Daily Wire

Comedian Nick Cannon came to the defense of his friend Kevin Hart Saturday, striking back at "woke" comedians who demanded Hart step down from his position hosting the Oscars awards ceremony by revealing their individual histories of making "homophobic" and "problematic" comments on Twitter.

Hart stepped down from hosting the Oscars on Friday, after pro-LGBTQ activists revealed that Hart had written "homophobic" tweets in the past about what he might do if his son turned out to be gay.

Hart initially refused to apologize for his past tweets, claiming that they were immaterial to his current career, but eventually caved to pressure, announcing late last week that he was "sorry" for his behavior and that he would not be hosting the Oscars, so as to "not be a distraction" from the Hollywood awards ceremony.

That's when Cannon stepped in, posting to his own Twitter feed examples of "homophobic" tweets from some of Hollywood's most recognizable "woke" names: Amy Schumer, Sarah Silverman, and, of course, Chelsea Handler.

Warning: the language is pretty strong.

Cannon doesn't want the three women to be forced to apologize, IndieWire reports, "but to question why so much backlash was given to Hart when homophobic jokes have been made for some time by comics both male and female."

Ultimately, Cannon believes that comedians should be free to joke about what they want, and to make mistakes, missteps, and bad jokes along the way, without those mistakes coming back to haunt them when they're nominated to host one of the single largest entertainment events on the calendar.

"You know I’ve been saying f***ed up sh*t since twitter started!” Cannon replied to one fan who asked him what he was doing. “I don’t play that politically correct bulls**t! F*** politics!! Only Truth!”

None of the women Cannon exposed have apologized for their tweets or, really, said anything in response to Cannon's publication. Sarah Silverman, IndieWire says, has occasionally cited her previous work as rough and amateurish.

“All I can do is learn from it, be changed forever by it, and do what I can to make it right going forward," Silverman told The Guardian last year.

Strangely, though, woke Hollywood isn't willing to grant the same grace to Kevin Hart.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    But....

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Of all people, Nick Canon is the voice of reason? There's hope in this world yet boys.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks