Thread: California Dem Ted Lieu say he would 'love to regulate' speech, bemoans US Constitution that prohibits him

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Censored California Dem Ted Lieu say he would 'love to regulate' speech, bemoans US Constitution that prohibits him

By Lukas Mikelionis | Fox News

California Democrat Ted Lieu bemoaned on Wednesday that though he would “love to be able to regulate the content of speech,” including that on Fox News, he can’t do it because of the U.S. Constitution.

Lieu made the comments during an interview about the testimony of Google CEO Sundar Pichai at a House Judiciary Committee hearing, where he dismissed the allegations that the tech giant amplifies negative stories about Republican lawmakers, saying “if you want positive search results, do positive things."

CNN host Brianna Keilar praised Lieu for his performance but asked whether other Democrats should have used the committee to press Google on conspiracy theories that spread on their platforms.

“It's a very good point you make. I would love if I could have more than five minutes to question witnesses. Unfortunately, I don't get that opportunity,” Lieu said of the committee hearings.

“However, I would love to be able to regulate the content of speech. The First Amendment prevents me from doing so, and that's simply a function of the First Amendment, but I think over the long run, it's better the government does not regulate the content of speech,” he continued.

Lieu added that private companies should self-regulate their platforms and said the government shouldn’t interfere.

After his remarks aired, Lieu came under fire on social media, prompting him to go on a Twitter spree to clarify his views, including that he would like to regulate Fox News.

One Twitter user had accused him of being “a poster child for the tyranny.”

Lieu insisted that he’s actually defending the First Amendment rather than showing his desire to regulate speech.

“My whole point is that government officials always want to regulate speech, see e.g. the Republican Judiciary hearing alleging Google is biased against Republicans,” he wrote in another tweet. “But thank goodness the First Amendment prevents me, @POTUS and Republicans from doing so.”

“I agree there are serious issues, but the speech issues are protected by the First Amendment,” the Democrat added. “Would I like to regulate Fox News? Yes, but I can't because the First Amendment stops me. And that's ultimately a good thing in the long run.”

Lieu has become somewhat a foe of President Trump following his election, often taking to social media to throw jabs at the president.

He’s among the Democrats who’s been flirting with the idea of impeaching Trump over the perceived collusion between Russia and the campaign. He also tried to kick-start earlier this year the impeachment process of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

Lieu also raised eyebrows in summer after playing on House floor an audio recording of the crying migrant children separated from their families as part of the Trump administration’s “zero-tolerance policy.”

Last year, Lieu was slammed for walking out of a moment of silence for victims of a mass shooting at a Texas church.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (12-13-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (12-13-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I think we're gonna need to ban that way of thinking citizen

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (12-13-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Pretty ballsy of an elected official to actually come out and say he wants to regulate speech.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Pretty ballsy of an elected official to actually come out and say he wants to regulate speech.
    I prefer that to actively controverting the 1st amendment by labeling everything they disagree with as hate speech and banning it anyway.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (12-13-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I like how in that one Tweet he's trying to say he's actually defending the 1st Amendment

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (12-13-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I just looked him up, he was born in Taiwan. You would think that someone born in a country living under the threat of China and their draconian laws would be the LAST kind of person that would want to regulate speech.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (12-13-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    It's coming, fellas... Just a matter of time.. I've noticed here lately.. Hammer the general pop. enough with an idea whether its bad or not and they start to believe the shit..

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Thank God we still have common sense down here in the South. And lots of guns.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    He will still get reelected too, that's the sad part

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

RBP (12-13-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    He will still get reelected too, that's the sad part
    You're the one that lives in that fucked up state