Thread: Vox mocked for seeking constitutional overhaul so Ocasio-Cortez can run for president

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Obvious Vox mocked for seeking constitutional overhaul so Ocasio-Cortez can run for president

By Brian Flood | Fox News

Liberal political website Vox is getting accused of jumping the shark after publishing an appeal to “fix the Constitution ASAP” so that 29-year-old incoming Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez can run for president – claiming “there’s no time like the present to start working to abolish arbitrary qualifications.”

Wednesday's lengthy piece, “It’s ridiculous that it’s unconstitutional for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to run for president,” declared that everyone from immigrants to recent college grads should be eligible.

Vox co-founder and senior correspondent Matthew Yglesias wrote that “phenomenon” Ocasio-Cortez “is the biggest star in the Democratic Party,” and therefore it is “completely ridiculous” that the Constitution makes anyone under the age of 35 ineligible to run for president of the United States.

“There’s nothing wrong with old people per se, but essentially everyone has lost a step or two both mentally and physically by their mid-70s,” Yglesias wrote. “The really awful thing about being old is that you just keep getting older over time.”

Even Ocasio-Cortez pushed back on the premise:

“How about... no,” she wrote. “Sometimes political media is too fixated on personalities instead of policies. The whole country JUST went through an exhausting midterm election. We need a break.”

“This is truly Vox’s jump the shark moment. Not exactly sure how you can claim to be anything other than pure parody when you are publishing pieces like this. I guess they believe - wrongly - that all publicity - even negative publicity- is good,” conservative strategist Chris Barron told Fox News.

NewsBusters managing editor Curtis Houck told Fox News that Vox is “supposed to be knowledgeable and explain things to the masses” but “always finds a way to baffle people by showing that they're the ones who struggle with basic facts and trying to explain things.”

“Vox is quickly becoming a parody of itself and this fantasy of wanting her to be president even though she hasn't been sworn in yet is ludicrous,” Houck said. “At least Barack Obama had served in the state Senate and then the U.S. Senate for a few years and could have claimed to have had some experience in office.”

Yglesias argued that “young is better than old” and suggested America would be better off with Ocasio-Cortez than an older candidate such as Bernie Sanders, 77, or the 76-year-old Joe Biden.

“We’re sitting here in the winter of 2018 talking about filling a presidential term that won’t start until 2021 — with an inevitable reelection campaign in 2024 for a term that wouldn’t end until early 2029,” Yglesias wrote.

Yglesias noted that people even younger are often “trusted with life-and-death situations in a huge array of contexts” such as having children and serving in the military.

“The constitutional prohibition on people under the age of 35 serving as president is just one of these weird lacuna that was handed down to us from the 18th century but that nobody would seriously propose creating today if not for status quo bias,” he wrote.

Yglesias even argued that her "AOC" nickname works in her favor.

“Is having a nickname a sign that you would exercise good judgment in the Oval Office? Absolutely not. But it’s proof positive that she’s an honest-to-goodness political superstar, and it’s clear that’s what many Democrats are looking for in 2020,” he wrote.

Yglesias tweeted that “AOC should run for president and dare the Supreme Court to stop her.” His message was met with an onslaught of criticism online.

“It’s amazing someone gives you a paycheck,” one user wrote while another added, “I get that you don’t like old people, but you’re going to be one someday, so maybe lay off the hatred for now.”

The argument for changing the presidential requirements is among a host of ideas being floated on the left for major constitutional overhauls in response to President Trump's administration and, most recently, the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh. Critics have floated packing the Supreme Court, overhauling the Electoral College and considering term limits on the high court in response.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (12-14-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    She's their star. The best they have. Let that sink in.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (12-14-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, just dare the Supreme Court to stop her....because it's definitely a grey area of the Constitution.

And this is rich too:

Yglesias noted that people even younger are often “trusted with life-and-death situations in a huge array of contexts” such as having children and serving in the military.
    Yeah, having a kid or joining the military is JUST LIKE running an entire country of 340 million people.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Yeah, just dare the Supreme Court to stop her....because it's definitely a grey area of the Constitution.

And this is rich too:

Yeah, having a kid or joining the military is JUST LIKE running an entire country of 340 million people.
    Shut your pie hole, oldie!

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (12-14-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I think the millennial version would be "AOC 4 @POTUS #oldiessuck"

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Pony (12-15-2018), RBP (12-14-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Bravo!

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,132 Times in 1,887 Posts
    Am I the only one that opened this thread wondering wtf Vox amplifiers did?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinD For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (12-15-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    Am I the only one that opened this thread wondering wtf Vox amplifiers did?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    There is a musical instrument company in the UK named Vox that makes guitar and bass amplifiers, as well as guitars, effects, and a bunch of other stuff. They've been around for a while. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Queen, etc... were known to use their amplifiers. The Vox AC30 is considered an iconic amplifier in guitarists' circles.

https://www.voxamps.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vox_(musical_equipment)
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 12-15-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

KevinD (12-16-2018)