#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

News China: U.S. Spends Too Much on Military

Associated Press

BEIJING – The United States is spending too much on its military in light of its recent economic troubles, China's top general said Monday while playing down his country's own military capabilities.

The chief of the General Staff of the People's Liberation Army, Chen Bingde, told reporters that he thought the U.S. should cut back on defense spending for the sake of its taxpayers. He was speaking during a joint news conference in which he traded barbs with visiting U.S. counterpart Adm. Mike Mullen.

"I know the U.S. is still recovering from the financial crisis," Chen said. "Under such circumstances, it is still spending a lot of money on its military and isn't that placing too much pressure on the taxpayers?"

"If the U.S. could reduce its military spending a bit and spend more on improving the livelihood of the American people ... wouldn't that be a better scenario?" he said.

The visit by Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, is the first of its kind in four years. Mullen and Chen are trying to upgrade military-to-military ties after setbacks over U.S. arms sales to Taiwan, cyberattacks traced to China and concern about Beijing's military plans.

Chen made a similar trip to the U.S. in May as part of efforts to improve often frosty relations between the two militaries, especially as the economies of the countries become more codependent.

The world's two biggest economies frequently clash over financial issues, such as Beijing's resistance to exchange rate reforms and the ballooning U.S. trade deficit with China. Such issues are not usually at the forefront of military to military talks, though both sides chide each other for their defense spending.

China's military budget of $95 billion this year is the world's second-highest after Washington's planned $650 billion in defense spending.

Chen said China remains more than two decades behind the U.S. in terms of military technology and Beijing still needs to upgrade by adding new hardware such as aircraft carriers.

"China is a big country and we have quite a number of ships but these are only small ships and this is not commensurate with the status of a country like China," he said. "Of course I hope that in future we will have aircraft carriers."

Chen said U.S. military exercises with the Philippines and Vietnam in the disputed South China Sea were inappropriate because of heightened tensions in the region, while Mullen defended the operations as routine.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    I wonder if the Chinese carriers will be US knockoffs like everything else they produce.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    "If the U.S. could reduce its military spending a bit and spend more on improving the livelihood of the American people ... wouldn't that be a better scenario?" he said.
    Because the Chinese standard of living is so much better than it is here in the US

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    we could cut out all military spending and the entitlements would still take over completely if left untouched.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Aren't there like 44 million Americans on food stamps now? And only 18,000 jobs created last month with unemployment at over 9%. Spending $700 billions a year is pretty outrageous, all things considered.

It is ridiculous coming from China though: the home of famine and oppression
    Last edited by Godfather; 07-11-2011 at 05:13 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Aren't there like 44 million Americans on food stamps now? Spending around $700 billions a year is pretty outrageous, all things considered.

It is ridiculous coming from China though: the home of famine and oppression
    That's my point on the whole thing...who the hell do the Chinese think they are criticizing how other countries are run?

And at least with the US military budget, it's (fairly) transparent and you can believe that figure that was released for the Pentagon's budget. But if anyone believes that China only spent $95 billion on defense, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that's for sale.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I get that for sure. Everyone takes cracks at the US all the time. I understand being pissed at China for having a big mouth and its hypocrisy

But aren't you also pissed at your own country for the problems that are more relevant to you and your friends/family? I mean... it's still a valid point it seems. That's real money.

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I lovvvve a good hot and sour soup...

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    But if anyone believes that China only spent $95 billion on defense, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that's for sale.

I already sold that last week. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post
    I lovvvve a good hot and sour soup...
    With the cream of Sum Yung Guy?

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    You post belongs in reds bad joke thread, dgx...

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    I know. I suck at jokes.

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    That's my point on the whole thing...who the hell do the Chinese think they are criticizing how other countries are run?

And at least with the US military budget, it's (fairly) transparent and you can believe that figure that was released for the Pentagon's budget. But if anyone believes that China only spent $95 billion on defense, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that's for sale.
    with their labour rates, it probably is only a $95billion they spend

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    we should spend less on our military so we can buy more lead-laced products from China

I am fixed

"Somedays I wake up and feel like nobody loves me. Other days I wake up and feel like I love nobody. Sometimes I wake up and feel tired, and worn out. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I cannot face the day. But someday I'll wake up and realize that waking up is pretty stupid because it just makes you feel like crap."