Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OPINION: Competing currencies: a defense against profligate spending

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts

Discussion OPINION: Competing currencies: a defense against profligate spending

By Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) - 07/11/11 01:56 PM ET

The end of June marked what is hopefully the end of the Federal Reserve's policy of quantitative easing. For months the Fed has purchased hundreds of billions of dollars of Treasury debt, enabling the government to fund its profligate deficit spending, push the national debt to its limit, and further devalue the dollar. Confidence in the dollar is plummeting, confidence in the euro has been shattered by the European bond crisis, and beleaguered consumers and investors are slowly but surely awakening to the fact that government-issued currencies do not hold their value.

Currency is sound only when it is recognized and accepted as such by individuals, through the actions of the market, without coercion. Throughout history, gold and silver have been the two commodities that have most fully satisfied the requirements of sound money. This is why people around the world are flocking once again to gold and silver as a store of value to replace their rapidly depreciating paper currencies. Even central banks have come to their senses and have begun to stock up on gold once again.

But in our country today, attempting to use gold and silver as money is severely punished, regardless of the fact that it is the only constitutionally-allowed legal tender! In one recent instance, entrepreneurs who attempted to create their own gold and silver currency were convicted by the federal government of "counterfeiting".
    Also, consider another case of an individual who was convicted of tax evasion for paying his employees with silver and gold coins rather than fiat paper dollars. The federal government acknowledges that such coins are legal tender at their face value, as they were issued by the U.S. government. But when it comes to income taxes owed by the employees who received them, the IRS suddenly deems the coins to be worth their full market value as precious metals.

These cases highlight the fact that a government monopoly on the issuance of money is purely a method of central control over the economy. If you can be forced to accept the government's increasingly devalued dollar, there is no limit to how far the government will go to debauch the currency. Anyone who attempts to create a market based currency-- meaning a currency with real value as determined by markets-- threatens to embarrass the federal government and expose the folly of our fiat monetary system. So the government destroys competition through its usual tools of arrest, confiscation, and incarceration.

This is why I have taken steps to restore the constitutional monetary system envisioned and practiced by our Founding Fathers. I recently introduced HR 1098, the Free Competition in Currency Act. This bill eliminates three of the major obstacles to the circulation of sound money: federal legal tender laws that force acceptance of Federal Reserve Notes; "counterfeiting" laws that serve no purpose other than to ban the creation of private commodity currencies; and tax laws that penalize the use of gold and silver coins as money. During this Congress I hope to hold hearings on this bill in order to highlight the importance of returning to a sound monetary system.

Allowing market participants to choose a sound currency will ensure that individuals' needs are met, rather than the needs of the government. Restoring sound money will restrict the ability of the government to reduce the citizenry's purchasing power and burden future generations with debt. Unlike the current system which benefits the Fed and its banking cartel, all Americans are better off with a sound currency.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I read the first word of each paragraph... I'm Healed!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    so is the economy

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Where's FBD? I haven't used ignore all day...

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks

Now extra seepy . . . Deepsepia's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    But in our country today, attempting to use gold and silver as money is severely punished, regardless of the fact that it is the only constitutionally-allowed legal tender! In one recent instance, entrepreneurs who attempted to create their own gold and silver currency were convicted by the federal government of "counterfeiting".
    Simply not true.

You can settle your debts in whatever form the two contracting parties might choose. I can write a contract with you to pay rent in dollars, ounces of gold, Japanese Yen, lanwmowing services.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Also, consider another case of an individual who was convicted of tax evasion for paying his employees with silver and gold coins rather than fiat paper dollars.
    No specifics are provided here, but the only way it would be tax evasion is if he didn't declare the dollar value of his payroll and pay withholding tax. You are liable for taxes on salary, in dollars, no matter what method of payment you choose. If you and your employee choose that the the salary is one ounce of gold a week, and and ounce of gold is $1330, you owe withholding tax on that amount, payable in dollars.

Choosing to pay a debt in some other instrument doesn't absolve you of paying your taxes (and very often when you look at barter or cash transactions, what's really happening is tax evasion).

Paul's statement either represents a profound misunderstanding of what "legal tender" means, or its intentionally deceptive, I don't know which. The certainty is that what he's saying is very wrong.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    That's one fancy ass prism you've got there

Now extra seepy . . . Deepsepia's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    That's one fancy ass prism you've got there
    Not sure what that's supposed to mean.

I've worked on modeling various commodities futures, so I have the experience of contracts which can settle in a physical commodity. Millions of dollars of contracts trade every day, which can settle in the delivery of some physical commodity: gold, silver, cotton, pork bellies, natural gas, you name it.

I've also seen contracts in which someone is paid in equity for various services -- eg, folks contributing their intellectual property to a joint venture in exchange for an equity stake.

So, every day, there are all sorts of contracts being created and enforced in the US which don't involve $US.

What Paul doesn't make clear is what "legal tender" actually means -- its means the medium which the US government will itself accept in payment of debts to it. That is, you have to pay your taxes in $US . . . they don't want your pork bellies, the equity in your timeshare, your collection of Spanish doubloons . . . nor should they.

You can conduct your business in whatever currency or commodity you and your counter-party choose.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    When my wife and I conduct business, her currency is in 'pussy'. It works really well... She gets a lot of bang for her buck..

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's over Porky.. Hang it up.

Ron Paul announces retirement from Congress

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/r...162110444.html

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    "I felt it was better that I concentrate on one election," Paul, 75, told The Facts. "It's about that time when I should change tactics."
    He is still running for President

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    He's too old.. Go home old man..

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks