15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    get off my lawn

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ron Paul isn't a whack job, he's a constitutionalist. (Spell check is saying that's not right )
    Our paper money was backed by gold until sometime around 1933. Until then, the Feds couldn't "create" money by printing it and the paper dollar had real value. Sadly, it doesn't any more and never will again until there is something of value held in the government coffers that makes it have value. Kind of like your checking account. A check isn't worth anything unless there is money in the bank to back it up. We as a nation don't have money in the bank any more. Just paper that's getting worth less and less as time goes by.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    going back to the gold std is completely untenable. that doesnt mean its not a good idea to end the fed and get the fiscal house in order, though.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Belle View Post
    Ron Paul isn't a whack job, he's a constitutionalist. (Spell check is saying that's not right )
    Our paper money was backed by gold until sometime around 1933. Until then, the Feds couldn't "create" money by printing it and the paper dollar had real value. Sadly, it doesn't any more and never will again until there is something of value held in the government coffers that makes it have value. Kind of like your checking account. A check isn't worth anything unless there is money in the bank to back it up. We as a nation don't have money in the bank any more. Just paper that's getting worth less and less as time goes by.
    Sorry, he's a whack job hun

Now extra seepy . . . Deepsepia's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Belle View Post
    Our paper money was backed by gold until sometime around 1933. Until then, the Feds couldn't "create" money by printing it and the paper dollar had real value.
    But if you read the statement in the OP, he's not advocating a gold standard. He's advocating that the US have no specified legal tender-- a world of what he calls "competing currencies".

That's not a "return to the gold standard" -- its a journey off into the unknown, not serious.

Put another way, if I'm a company and I do business, in what currency do I have to report my earnings and pay my taxes? Reading Paul literally, I could decide to report my earnings in Mexican Pesos, Canadian Dollars, or bales of hay.

That just isn't logical, its a proposal that hasn't been thought through, and its not a gold standard.

To go on the gold standard today would be a disaster, for other reasons . . .