Thread: 'Breaking Bad' Actor Forced To Defend Playing A Severely Disabled Man After Social Justice Warriors Freak Out

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

SJW 'Breaking Bad' Actor Forced To Defend Playing A Severely Disabled Man After Social Justice Warriors Freak Out

By Emily Zanotti - The Daily Wire

Former "Breaking Bad" star Bryan Cranston is being forced to defend his decision to play a severely disabled man in the upcoming film, "The Upside," after social justice warriors criticized both Cranston and the studio for not casting a true quadriplegic for the role.

The BBC reports that Cranston is speaking out, defending not just his "business decision" to star alongside Kevin Hart and Nicole Kidman in the dramatic comedy premiering this month, but also defending his right as an actor to take roles that force him to leave his comfort zone and adopt a new persona.

“We live in the world of criticism, if we’re willing to get up and try something, we have to also be willing to take criticism,” Cranston said. “We’re very aware of the need to expand the opportunities for people with disabilities.”

"As actors we're asked to play other people," Cranston told media. "If I, as a straight, older person, and I'm wealthy, I'm very fortunate, does that mean I can't play a person who is not wealthy, does that mean I can't play a homosexual?"

"I don't know, where does the restriction apply, where is the line for that?" Cranston added, in an interview with the Press Association.

To appease his critics, Cranston did eventually say that he believes there should be more parts available for disabled actors.

The movie, which is a remake of a 2011 French film called "Les Intouchables," stars Cranston as a wealthy man paralyzed from the neck down, and Kevin Hart as an ex-convict hired to care for Cranston's character around the clock, but who eventually teaches Cranston's character to enjoy life, despite his hardships (at least, that's the plot of the original movie).

But the Ruderman Family Foundation, which advocates on behalf of disabled Americans, was quick to point out that Cranston took a role that could have gone to an actor actually suffering from near-complete paralysis. Taking a page from previous campaigns against white actors playing people of color, the Foundation suggested that Cranston's casting was "discrimination."

Others — primarily social justice advocates — compared Cranston's portrayal of a quadriplegic man to "blackface." A critic on social media in a since deleted tweet even compared Cranston's newest acting role to President Donald Trump's alleged mockery of a disabled reporter during the 2016 Presidential campaign — a heavy and stinging critique for the Hollywood left.

All this is happening against a backdrop of a supposed woken culture. Actors like Meryl Streep criticising Donald Trump for impersonating a disabled journalist - I’m force to ask how is what @BryanCranston is doing here any better? 5/x https://t.co/gNI7PlTSkr
    — Adam Pearson (@Adam_Pearson) January 8, 2019

The film's director, Neil Burger, also defended casting Cranston in the role, saying he made every effort to be as sensitive as possible to those who might identify with the film's lead character.

"It is a really interesting question, does an able-bodied actor have the right to play a person with a disability? And there’s arguments on both sides of it," Burger told the Press Association in his own interview. “All I know is that we did an incredible amount of research and went at it with as much respect and honesty that we could – and certainly Bryan Cranston did – and our goal is to shed light and be compassionate and be respectful to those communities.”

It will, of course, never appease social justice warriors.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-09-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Hikari Kisugi (01-11-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    No such thing as reverse racism. It's just racism. But tell me that I'm wrong. Go ahead.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    No such thing as reverse racism. It's just racism. But tell me that I'm wrong. Go ahead.
    You're wrong whitey

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Yes, they should have cast a quadriplegic actor for the role, I'm sure there are PLENTY of options.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    You're wrong whitey

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    They didn't get a real guy from Krypton to play Superman

*throws out all Superman DVD's*

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-09-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Yes, they should have cast a quadriplegic actor for the role, I'm sure there are PLENTY of options.
    Or just flipped it. If Kevin Hart was the quad and Cranston was the ex-con, nobody would bat an eye. "What a great opportunity for a man of color to show his adaptability!"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (01-09-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    I bet severely disabled people all across the country are dying to see Cranston in this role. I'm disabled and I love Cranston as an actor. I bet he nails it to perfection. I bet all of the people bitching about him aren't even close to being disabled. I'd also bet that they all probably park in handicapped parking spots illegally.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Pony (01-10-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (01-09-2019)