#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

News ATF to Require Information on Frequent Gunbuyers in Border States

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- In an effort to stem the illicit flow of weapons into Mexico, the Justice Department announced Monday that all gun shops in four Southwest border states will be required to alert the federal government to frequent buyers of high-powered rifles.

The new policy comes amid criticism of a failed federal probe aimed at dismantling large-scale arms trafficking networks along the Arizona border with Mexico.

In the probe, called Operation Fast and Furious, several agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives say they were inexplicably ordered by superiors to stop tracking some small-time "straw" buyers who purchased large numbers of weapons apparently destined for drug cartels.

Under the new policy, federal firearms licensees in Texas, California, Arizona and New Mexico must report purchases of two or more of some types of rifles by the same person in a five-day span. The requirement applies to purchases of semi-automatic rifles that have detachable magazines and a caliber of greater than .22.

ATF estimates it will generate 18,000 reports a year.

Deputy Attorney General James Cole said the new reporting measure will improve the ATF's ability to disrupt illegal weapons trafficking networks that funnel firearms to criminal organizations.

One of the critics of Operation Fast and Furious called the new policy "the height of hypocrisy."

The Obama administration is restricting the gun rights of border state citizens, "when the administration knowingly and intentionally allowed guns to be trafficked into Mexico," said House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith, R-Texas.

"Limiting the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens is not going to solve the problem," Smith said.

ATF estimates the requirement will cover nearly 8,500 gun store operators in the four states, though less than 30 percent of those operators are expected to have multiple sales to report.

ATF will retain the information and if no investigative leads have been realized after two years, it will be purged.

Holders of federal firearms licenses already report multiple sales of handguns. The results go to the National Tracing Center, and ATF says it has led to successful prosecutions for firearms trafficking.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Doesnt sound like a bad idea to me..

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post
    Doesnt sound like a bad idea to me..
    It doesn't to me either, but my opinion of it is contingent on what exactly BATFE considers to be 'frequent'

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 869 Posts
    So it's ok for the ATF to sell firearms to the drug cartels, but....ya know...that pretty much says it all..

Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I already have your name on my butthole...too bad the tattoo artist couldn't spell
    Looser
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    murder my ass..shove it up my ass....both are beautiful terms of endearment

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    So it's ok for the ATF to sell firearms to the drug cartels, but....ya know...that pretty much says it all..
    That's a different argument

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    It doesn't to me either, but my opinion of it is contingent on what exactly BATFE considers to be 'frequent'
    Quote Originally Posted by The Associated Press
    Under the new policy, federal firearms licensees in Texas, California, Arizona and New Mexico must report purchases of two or more of some types of rifles by the same person in a five-day span.
    I own quite a few guns myself but seriously, what law abiding citizen needs to buy 2 semi-auto fire weapons every 5 days?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I own quite a few guns myself but seriously, what law abiding citizen needs to buy 2 semi-auto fire weapons every 5 days?
    I looked thru the story and I completely missed that

And I would agree, who needs to buy two or more guns every 5 days? More importantly, what kind of average law abiding citizen would have that kinda money?

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,888 Posts
    I have no problem with this, as far as it goes. I've never actually bought a firearm at a gun shop or store. Not for any particular reason, it just worked out that way. I have a friend who is a huge gun collector (last count was over 2000 firearms), but he has bought these here and there, mostly once a month at estate sales etc. He's not an abnormal person, he just collects guns. I could see how this could adversely affect him and those like him.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    Hahaha.. true