vBookie Event: Rams v Saints (NFL Playoffs)
This event is over.

Outcome Odds Total Bets Total Staked
Los Angeles Rams 1/1 F (2.00) 4 2250 WIN!
New Orleans Saints (-3.5) 1/1 F (2.00) 1 1000  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NFL Playoffs NFC Championship Game: Los Angeles Rams at New Orleans [SETTLED]

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I was going to say .....did you notice when the announcers were talking about the Ram kicker, the discussion was 'being automatic from 60 yards out' and there really wasn't much of a discussion about missing? Parkey must have been sticking pins into his Rams kicker doll and crying like a baby watching that
    More likely praying for him. We're talking about a guy that points to the sky after a miss.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Mike Triplett - ESPN Staff Writer

NEW ORLEANS -- Saints head coach Sean Payton said the NFL's head of officials told him the officials "blew the call" by not penalizing the Los Angeles Rams for pass interference late in the fourth quarter of Sunday's NFC Championship Game.

And Payton said he and the team will "probably never get over it" after the Rams went on to win 26-23 in overtime.

"For a call like that not to be made, man, it's just hard to swallow. And then to get a phone call ..." Payton said, trailing off. He added: "We spoke initially, then I called to follow up. And the first thing [head of officials Alberto Riveron] said when I got on the phone -- 'We messed it up.'

"Listen, it's a hard job for those guys 'cause it's happening fast. But I don't know if there was ever a more obvious pass interference call that -- here it is, the NFC Championship Game. So, it's a tough one to swallow."

The no-call came with 1:45 remaining on a third-and-10 play from the Rams' 13-yard line, with the score tied 20-20. Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman appeared to run into Saints receiver Tommylee Lewis and make helmet-to-helmet contact before the ball arrived -- sending the raucous Superdome crowd into a chorus of boos when no flag was thrown.

"It was simple. They blew the call. They said it should never have not been a call," Payton said of the explanation he received. "They said not only was it interference, it was helmet-to-helmet. They just -- they couldn't believe it."

Payton later said it was the type of foul you'd call "if we were playing pickup football in the backyard."

Robey-Coleman admitted he briefly thought the flag would come out but that an official on the field told him he suspected the ball was tipped, which replays clearly showed was not the case.

"I thought it was for a split-second; but the ref got up -- when I got up, he said, 'Incomplete,' so I just was like, 'Thank you,'" the cornerback said. "I didn't look back at the ball. I didn't play the ball. If I had played the ball, then it would've been a different story. ... And then the ref said, like, it looked it was a tip. Like, it was, like, tipped. So I was like, 'OK, cool.'"

Asked if he thought it was tipped, Robey-Coleman told ESPN: "Initially I didn't think they tipped the ball because I can't even look at the quarterback at that time. I'm too busy running to my guy, and then I just seen his hands go up -- that's what made me hit him."

Lewis said the referees didn't say anything to him about the play.

"I feel like it was obvious. I mean, there it is. Everybody know it was obvious," he said. "I mean, there is nothing else. ... I don't know what else to say about it."

The Saints settled for a field goal, then the Rams quickly marched downfield for a game-tying field goal late in regulation. Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein later kicked the game-winning, 57-yard field goal in overtime after Drew Brees was pressured into an interception.

"Obviously, it's a disappointing way to lose a game. Frustrating," Payton said to start his postgame news conference. "And, man -- there were a lot of opportunities, though -- but that call puts it first-and-10, we're on a knee three plays, and it's a game-changing call.

"So what do you do? You get back up, and you got to work. This will be a tough one for these players, for the coaches. ... But it happened, though, so we can't dwell on it. And we'll probably never get over it."

Brees said the Saints were initially able to pick themselves up to finish the game, but New Orleans will have a lot of time during the offseason to consider what might have been.

"Plenty of times throughout the season, there's calls that go against you or go for you, or they miss or they didn't," the quarterback said. "But obviously, in a situation like that -- where it seemed like everybody in the world saw it -- it's tough. It's tough."
    For me, I understand questionable pass interference calls. There's so much back and forth now in terms of hands from both the offense and defensive players on pass routes, that the refs fully admit to letting a lot of contact go throughout games.

But c'mon man That was such an important play and it was right down inside the 10 yard line. The world was watching. And that COLLISION was what coaches could use as a pass interference example to 10 years olds just learning the basics of pass coverage Ball wasn't there, guy takes out the other guy with a smack-hit...it was like an assassination.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    It's easy to point at one blown call. But they played an entire game and every play impacts the outcome.

Cody Parkey didn't lose the game for the Bears by hitting the upright. The Bears should have never been in the position that it mattered.
    The problem is, it's easy to overcome a blown holding call in the 1st quarter of a game. This call happened in the last 2 minutes and this play helped decide the outcome of the game. As Hal already said, this call gets correctly made, the Saints can milk the clock and try for a chip shot field goal to end the game. Now, there's nothing saying that the Saints would have gone on to make this alleged game winning/ending field goal, but this play took that opportunity away from them. The Saints controlled their own destiny in this game and the zebras took that away from them. While yes, every call and every play during a game has an outcome on the final score, there's a big difference between that/play/bad call when it comes with 6:08 left in the 1st quarter or when it happens with less than 2 minutes to go in the 4th quarter.

This was the NFC Championship game and the officiating fucked it up. The correct call would have been for the league office for officiating, the same one that reviews all scoring plays, would call down to the field and overrule this blatantly missed call. Why even bother with reviews and instant replays really if they can't get the game right with something like this? FFS in Week 2 of the season the officiating crew will take 10 minutes to review a play that covered 3 inches as to whether it was a 1st down or not, but a non-call this horrendous in the Championship game didn't deserve to be overturned?

/rant

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (01-21-2019), RBP (01-21-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    And yes, I realize that penalties (on non-calls) are not subject to review, but this was asinine.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (01-21-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    The problem is, it's easy to overcome a blown holding call in the 1st quarter of a game. This call happened in the last 2 minutes and this play helped decide the outcome of the game. As Hal already said, this call gets correctly made, the Saints can milk the clock and try for a chip shot field goal to end the game. Now, there's nothing saying that the Saints would have gone on to make this alleged game winning/ending field goal, but this play took that opportunity away from them. The Saints controlled their own destiny in this game and the zebras took that away from them. While yes, every call and every play during a game has an outcome on the final score, there's a big difference between that/play/bad call when it comes with 6:08 left in the 1st quarter or when it happens with less than 2 minutes to go in the 4th quarter.

This was the NFC Championship game and the officiating fucked it up. The correct call would have been for the league office for officiating, the same one that reviews all scoring plays, would call down to the field and overrule this blatantly missed call. Why even bother with reviews and instant replays really if they can't get the game right with something like this? FFS in Week 2 of the season the officiating crew will take 10 minutes to review a play that covered 3 inches as to whether it was a 1st down or not, but a non-call this horrendous in the Championship game didn't deserve to be overturned?

/rant
    There was something a coach said and it was like an equation. If this, then that in football terms. He explained this situation better than we can. It touched on what both of us have posted here. Something like (and I'm going to butcher his words) - How many steps was the call away from winning the game? (he talked about how many doors would have to be opened in order to win).

As you've rightly said - Who knows if the Saints would be able to still control the ball and make the automatic field goal. We'll never know how that alternative outcome unfolds.

But FFS in both games where possession was questioned multiple times on pass catches (some great rulings there I thought) and they blow a call Stevie Wonder could have made?

It's too big a mistake for any time of year, much less a divisional title.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (01-21-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Saints fans call for rematch after controversial game sends Rams to Super Bowl

By Bradford Betz | Fox News

New Orleans Saints fans are calling for a redo of Sunday’s NFC championship game after a non-pass interference enabled the Los Angeles Rams to steal the game with a 26-23 victory and advance to the Super Bowl.

Nearly 524,000 New Orleans fans as of Monday have signed an online petition to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who they say has the authority to allow a rematch if “extraordinarily unfair acts” have an effect on the outcome of a game.

“Due to refs’ inability to properly officiate at the game, we the undersigned want a re-match against L.A. on Sunday, Jan. 27,” reads the petition. “It’s the only fair solution to this travesty of epic proportions.”

The controversial non-call came in the fourth quarter with the teams tied at 20 and less than 2 minutes remaining. Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman clashed with Saints receiver Tommylee Lewis before a pass from Drew Brees arrived inside the 5-yard line, forcing the Saints to settle for Wil Lutz’s 31-yard field goal and a 3-point lead. A pass interference would have given the Saints a first down and enabled them to run the clock down before potentially kicking a game-winning field goal.

Rams placekicker Greg Zuerlein later sent the game into overtime with a 57-yard field goal. New Orleans got the ball first in the overtime period, but quarterback Drew Brees had a pass intercepted by L.A.'s John Johnson III. The Rams were able to gain only 15 yards, but that was just enough room for Zuerlein to kick another field goal, sending his team to Super Bowl 53.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (01-22-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (01-22-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    A rematch would be historic.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    good one hal, that's like saying it will be light if the sun comes up

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    good one hal, that's like saying it will be light if the sun comes up
    leave him alone, he has the right to be excited!

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    leave him alone, he has the right to be excited!
    you fuck off and stay out of this...dude made a goofy comment and deserves the shade

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    you fuck off and stay out of this...dude made a goofy comment and deserves the shade
    so he's Scottish now? wtf is yo problem homes...leave these white boys to it

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    so he's Scottish now? wtf is yo problem homes...leave these white boys to it
    white boyz talkin bout football? Next thing we see gingers break dancin n shit

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    white boyz talkin bout football? Next thing we see gingers break dancin n shit

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts