Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [SD] Passive income strategies

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    That's a good point. I guess the podcasts I'm listening to right now are all past the patreon phase but you're right I've heard many smaller ones asking for patreon donations much like smaller youtube channels.
    Site that I'm active on about the show Survivor is hosted by a guy who competed on the show in the early 2000's. He started podcasting about it with his wife in 2010. He now has a podcasting empire with two websites, multiple reality and normal TV show podcasts and interns who help him daily. He's one of the best podcasters in the business and his content output is amazing. He makes 8-10 podcasts a week during the off-seasons of reality shows.

He talks about the journey from 2010 until now (he's moved to LA, in a house, with two kids and the wife, converted the upper floor to a studio) and his patrons are what made the difference. He didn't derive income until 2013 I think. Now, he has ads on his websites, audio sponsors and his patrons. He's also created an audio book about every Survivor season from seasons 1-30 and sells each chapter for around 2.99. To give you an idea about his Survivor audio books, the one about season 20 Heroes vs Villains (highly watched and regarded season) is over 18 hours long Just him and another dude going thought the 14 episodes of the season explaining how it played out.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Damn, super fan eh. Who is that? I used to watch Survivor but haven't in a few seasons.

My wife was telling me it's the same for a lot of other reality shows. Everyone who was on 3 episodes of The Bachelor is trying to start a podcast now too. Such a saturated market.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Damn, super fan eh. Who is that? I used to watch Survivor but haven't in a few seasons.

My wife was telling me it's the same for a lot of other reality shows. Everyone who was on 3 episodes of The Bachelor is trying to start a podcast now too. Such a saturated market.

I have an...overwhelming presence on his site. Oh yeah, he sets up comment sections for each podcast and encourages people to comment, while at times commenting himself. It's brilliant. He liked one of my posts and responds to me at times, and it's like a movie personality engaging me.

His name is Rob Cesternino and he played on season six The Amazon in 2003, then returned a year later for season eight All Stars. He used to work in an insurance underwriter's office 9-5 and then in 2010 decided to just start talking about Survivor with his wife using the laptop. Got increasing feedback until one point he realized his listenership was large enough to go at it full time and ask for money. He also had some web creation background and understood a fair amount about marketing.

He does podcasts on Big Brother, The Challenge, Survivor and about 10 scripted TV shows like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead.

In one week while Survivor is airing he creates:

Survivor Know it Alls recap with Stephen Fishbach (airs right after episode finishes in TV)
    Exit interview with latest player voted out (next morning after episode airs)
    The Wiggle Room (recap and jokes, fan made songs with Josh Wigler)
    Why__Lost Survivor with David Bloomberg (set of rules and why current boot left the game)
    Long form recap of episode with past Survivor players
    Long form feedback show featuring voice mails, emails, Tweets, comments from fans (with Survivor personality guest)
    Survivor B&B (recaps, jokes, guests, games)

Cesternino does this cycle every week for Survivor alone, in addition to his 10-15 podcasts talking about the other various shows.
    Last edited by Hal-9000; 01-26-2019 at 08:11 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Gentlemen, I would like to remind you guys that this is a serious discussion thread, meaning that it is required to stay on topic while posting in this thread, and tangential conversation and generic whoring is not welcome in it.

The topic is Passive Income Strategies. Please, stay on topic.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Godfather (01-27-2019), RBP (01-27-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Getting back to RBP's question and comments about content, it does seem like the bottom is going to drop out on podcasting. There's just so much of it now.

I think the idea itself is brilliant. People's attention spans are getting shorter, with video scenes and news sound bites becoming more brief because of it.

Someone said - Hey, let's cut the video portion out of audio/video communications and release it on platforms both PC's and phones can access.

It's the most simplistic way to interact with media. You don't have to watch so you can cook, clean, commute, exercise, lay down, run ...while absorbing podcasts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-27-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Gentlemen, I would like to remind you guys that this is a serious discussion thread, meaning that it is required to stay on topic while posting in this thread, and tangential conversation and generic whoring is not welcome in it.

The topic is Passive Income Strategies. Please, stay on topic.
    Podcasts aren't passive? Create an average of one hour of speaking content per week and let people donate monthly?

You're right. Podcasts are just less work than 9-5 jobs.

Okay, subject abandoned.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Your idea of podcasts was perfectly fine, but talking about the dynamics and interactions you have on the Survivor forum was kinda veering off into left field.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I was describing his marketing and site strategies to show how he became one of the largest podcasters in the biz. Never failing to put out content and his growing weekly output. These are tips he gives other people getting into podcasting.

Interacting with commenters is part of his strategy and the dynamic that grows the business, I think it does apply in this case. Not every podcaster will engage the fans directly.

Going to disagree here, but won't argue it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    We'll let RBP decide.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    We'll let RBP decide.
    I appreciate the mod reminder. You were both correct. Hal was giving examples of podcasts, and you noted the potential to veer too far off and gave a reminder.

That is how SD is supposed to work.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Touching on the podcast content idea, I bet RBP could get a following if he hosted a no holds barred discussion about relationships between genders. Set up an email addy and a voice mail line encouraging people to weigh in with their comments. People love to have their comments heard. The only downside would be figuring out what to offer to potential patrons as extra content for paying 5 bucks per month.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-27-2019)