Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Media Claim Two MAGA Fans Attacked Actor. Here Is The Full Story.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts

Drama 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett's lawyer refuses Chicago's demand of $130K, says actor 'will not be intimidated'

A defiant letter by Jussie Smollett's lawyers warned the city against suing him for police overtime costs in investigating his allegedly staged attack, saying the "Empire" actor “will not be intimidated into paying the demanded sum.”

The letter from celebrity attorney Mark Geragos — obtained by the Tribune — went on to caution that Smollett’s legal team would insist on questioning Mayor Rahm Emanuel, police Superintendent Eddie Johnson and other key players in the whirlwind legal saga if the city pursues a lawsuit.

“In light of their apparent vested interest in the matter, we are confident that Mayor Emanuel and Superintendent Johnson will not object to providing their testimony under oath,” Geragos wrote in the letter dated Thursday. “Mr. Smollett’s preference remains, however, that this matter be closed and that he be allowed to move on with his life.”

Smollett, who is African-American and openly gay, found himself at the center of an international media firestorm earlier this year after he reported he was the victim of an attack by two people shouting racist and homophobic slurs.

But after Chicago police investigated, Smollett was charged with 16 felony counts of disorderly conduct for allegedly staging the attack. But in a surprise hearing last week, Cook County prosecutors abruptly dropped all charges against him, sparking furious public backlash from Johnson and Emanuel.

Two days later, the city notified Smollett’s attorneys by letter of its demand that he pay $130,106 — the cost of the police overtime hours expended in the investigation into his allegations. The letter warned that the city might sue if Smollett did not pay by Thursday.

In response, Geragos wrote that Smollett “vehemently denies making any false statements,” echoing the actor’s public assertions of innocence after charges were dropped March 26.

“Your claim that Smollett filed a false police report and orchestrated his own attack is false and defamatory,” the letter said.

If the city files suit, Geragos warned, Smollett’s legal team would demand to view all the evidence from the criminal case, including material that was never handed over to the defense before the charges were dropped.

In addition to Emanuel and Johnson, Smollett’s attorneys would want to take sworn testimony from the two brothers who told authorities they helped Smollett stage the attack, as well as their attorney and her husband, according to the letter.

After Smollett’s attorney didn’t pay up before the city’s self-imposed deadline Thursday, the Emanuel administration confirmed that a lawsuit was being drafted for filing in Cook County Circuit Court.

“Once it is filed, the Law Department will send a courtesy copy of the complaint to Mr. Smollett’s Los Angeles-based legal team,” Law Department spokesman Bill McCaffrey said in a statement Thursday.

City attorneys plan to pursue “the full measure of damages” allowed by city law, according to the statement.

The sudden about-face by Foxx’s office to dismiss all charges against Smollett caught Chicago police brass by surprise and brought swift condemnation from Emanuel, who called it a “whitewash of justice.”

Prosecutors at first insisted the case against the actor was solid but then backpedaled. In a Tribune op-ed, Foxx said unspecified aspects of the evidence would have made a conviction “uncertain.”

Smollett has said he was walking from a Subway sandwich shop to his apartment in the 300 block of East North Water Street about 2 a.m. Jan. 29 when the two men yelled racial and homophobic slurs, hit him and wrapped a noose around his neck. Smollett said they also poured a bleachlike substance on him and yelled, “This is MAGA country!” in reference to President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign slogan, “Make America Great Again.”

Chicago police initially began a hate crime investigation but eventually said their investigation found Smollett, 36, staged the attack.

The actual letter: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...htmlstory.html
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (04-06-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (04-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    "... and brought swift condemnation from Emanuel, who called it a “whitewash of justice.”

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-06-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (04-08-2019)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

The Race Card Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx Defends Smollett Decision, Accuses Critics Of Colluding With 'White Supremacists'

By Emily Zanotti - The Daily Wire

Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx defended her office's decision to drop 17 charges against "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett and, alongside familiar Chicago community activists like Jesse Jackson, Jr. and Rep. Bobby Rush (D-IL), lashed out at her critics, at one point even suggesting her critics were "racist" and colluding with "white supremacists."

The Fraternal Order of Police, Chicago's largest police union, held a protest Friday, attracting dozens of Foxx's detractors who demanded Foxx resign from office after a series of prosecutorial errors and bad decisions, culminating with the decision to allow Smollett to walk free despite what police say is ample evidence that Smollett organized a "hate crime" hoax against himself.

Saturday, Jackson's Rainbow PUSH colition held a rally in support of Foxx. Speaking to a small crowd, Foxx defended her Smollett decision and implied that there were more sinister forces at work behind the collection of critics now questioning her fitness for office, according to Fox News.

"I have been asking myself for the last two weeks what is this really about," Foxx told the rally. "As someone who has lived in this city [Chicago], who came up in the projects of this city to serve as the first African American woman in this role, it is disheartening to me ... that when we get in these positions somehow the goalposts change."

"I'm committed to serving my term and should the people have me continuing forward," she added. "I stand with our partners in law enforcement every day. I have never, will never speak ill of our partners in this work."

She, in fact, did not. But other speakers at her rally were less guarded.

Longtime Congressman Bobby Rush, who represents chunks of Chicago's south side told the gathered crowd that “[t]he FOP is the sworn enemy of black people,” and that attacks on Foxx are racist, despite the police department being led by a black man, Superintendent Eddie Johnson, who has been among the most vocal Foxx critics.

Rush also claimed that the Cook County State's Attorney's office is itself a "historically racist" institution, and that Chicagoans cannot abide the post being held by a woman of color, even though the previous state's attorney was a hispanic woman.

Another speaker "community activist" Ja'Mal Green went even deeper with his criticism, calling a collection of suburban Cook County police chiefs who, Friday, sent an open letter to Foxx expressing "no confidence" in her leadership of the state's attorney's office that serves their jurisdictions, the "blue Klux Klan."

A Chicago Sun-Times reporter captured the exchange.

Fox News reporter Matt Finn followed up on the comment, asking Foxx directly if she agreed with Green's assessment that local police chiefs are, in fact, a group of abject racists. Foxx said nothing.

She did, however, add that the "racial issue" was injected by "white supremacists" who appeared at the Friday rally.

Pictures taken at the rally supposedly depict a handful of "Proud Boys" and members of the "American Guard," according to Finn and Fox News, but only an amateur photographer -- self-described member of Antifa -- reported the presence of both groups on Twitter. The activist also claims to have noticed a "known white supremacist" in the crowd.

The "Proud Boys" say they do not allow white nationalists or white supremacists membership in their group.

The rally, also, had dozens of attendees, and the Fraternal Order of Police, when asked about the presence of possible white nationalists at the rally, by public radio station WBEZ, was reportedly confused and said they did not know who the referenced groups were.

It's not clear — and unlikely — that any white supremacists took an active role in organizing the rally.

Despite Foxx's claims, her critics have come from both sides of the political aisle and are not limited to the Fraternal Order of Police or suburban police chiefs. Last week, Retired Illinois Appellate Justice Sheila O'Brien penned an editorial for the Chicago Tribune calling on the courts to appoint a special investigator to delve into Foxx's handling not only of Smollett's case, but of several cases which Foxx's office allowed violent offenders to skate off with lenient sentences.

Over the weekend, left-leaning Tribune columnist Eric Zorn also called on Foxx to admit her errors, signaling that even reliable Democrats within Chicago may be tiring of Foxx's excuses. Incoming Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot, herself a black woman, echoed outgoing mayor Rahm Emanuel's criticism of Foxx, and suggested that the city should get to the bottom of the Smollett decision and that Foxx should be willing to answer questions.

Last week, Foxx said that she would submit to an independent investigation. It's not immediately clear if her opinion on the matter has changed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    "You're only saying that because I'm black"

That train's never late.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (04-08-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (04-08-2019)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    "You're only saying that because I'm black"

That train's never late.
    Might as well go all in at this point.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    If the noose don't fit, you must acquit!

What the hell about all of the evidence against Jussie pointing to him staging the crime?

Surely one prosecutor sees this as a miscarriage of justice and wants to work with the police and mayor?

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Thats one unattractive woman right there..

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Thats one unattractive woman right there..
    DGX calls her the female James Brown.

I'm going with Steve Harvey.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Muddy (04-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Can someone shop a mustache on her?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Can someone shop a mustache on her?
    Sure

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Griffin (04-08-2019), PorkChopSandwiches (04-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Good show, guvnah..!!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (04-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I feel good!

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I got to dance like I got ants in my pants..!!!!!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Papa's got a brand new bag!

(of heroin)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Muddy (04-08-2019)