Thread: A Tampa man reported an income of $18,497. The IRS sent him a refund check for $980,000.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts

WTF A Tampa man reported an income of $18,497. The IRS sent him a refund check for $980,000.

By Susan Taylor Martin - The Tampa Bay Times

TAMPA — At a time when millions of Americans are bemoaning their smaller-than-expected tax refunds, consider this:

Ramon Christopher Blanchett of Tampa once got a refund of $980,000. On a reported income of $18,497.

As with most things involving the IRS, this story does not end happily, at least for Blanchett, 29. But it does display a degree of ingenuity, as outlined in a federal forfeiture complaint recently filed in U.S. District Court in Tampa:

In February 2017, Blanchett electronically submitted a self-prepared income tax return listing his occupation as "free-lancer. '' He had W-2 forms from a Tampa nursing home and a Sizzling Platter restaurant in Murray, Utah.

One W-2 showed $17,098 in wages and $1 million of federal income tax withholding. In reality, the complaint says, Blanchett was paid just $2,098 and no tax was withheld.

The other W-2, which was accurate, showed $1,399 in income and no withholding.

"Based on Blanchett's submission of the (tax return), falsely representing that $1 million in taxes had been withheld, the U.S. Treasury issued checked number 4038088544305, made payable to Blanchett, for $980,000,'' the complaint says.

Blanchett deposited the money into two accounts at SunTrust. After freezing the funds for suspected fraud, SunTrust closed the accounts last May and sent Blanchett a cashier's check for $980,000. He used that to open a money market account with Grow Financial Credit Union, "falsely representing that the funds were from the estate of his deceased father,'' the complaint says.

Blanchett then transferred various amounts among various Grow Financial accounts, ultimately withdrawing $49,117 in the form of a cashier's check. On Aug. 9, he bought a 2016 silver Lexus RC350.

By this time, the IRS had realized it had a problem. Pursuant to a federal seizure warrant, an IRS special agent took custody of the Lexus and the remaining $919,251 balance in Blanchett's accounts. The IRS is trying to get back another $809, the amount Progressive Insurance refunded to Blanchett after he cancelled his policy because he no longer had the car.

Last month, the U.S. Attorney's office in Tampa filed the forfeiture complaint for the Lexus and the $919,251. A magistrate judge found that there is probable cause to believe that the $809 insurance refund is "the proceeds of (Blanchett's) wire fraud'' and is also subject to forfeiture. No date has been set for a hearing on the complaint.

Blanchett, who could not be reached for comment, has not been charged with a federal crime. He was arrested in Hillsborough County in 2016 for possession of drug paraphernalia and resisting arrest without violence. He was ordered to pay $274 after pleading guilty to resisting and a lesser offense on the paraphernalia charge. He also had a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge in 2014 but adjudication was withheld.

Neither the IRS nor the financial institutions involved would comment,, citing privacy concerns. According to IRS records, in the year that Blanchett got his $980,000 check the average tax refund was about $3,000.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-14-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Blanchett, who could not be reached for comment, has not been charged with a federal crime.
    Really? Or did they just forget the "yet"?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    We used my Dad's accountant to do my Mom's taxes last year. Her situation is a little complex. Accountant calls me last month saying they made an error and now the government wants us to pay 1300 bucks back because of it. Keep in mind we paid him for this service.

He's being a tool and keeps saying the same thing about the government sending me something, not to worry and just pay it.

So I speak real loud and say - "Let me get this straight. We have to pay the government over a thousand dollars because of a data input error YOU made, and you charged us for the service?? That doesn't sound very good."

Guess he wasn't happy with me and called my sister. Sister says he'll be doing Mom's taxes for free this year

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    We used my Dad's accountant to do my Mom's taxes last year. Her situation is a little complex. Accountant calls me last month saying they made an error and now the government wants us to pay 1300 bucks back because of it. Keep in mind we paid him for this service.

He's being a tool and keeps saying the same thing about the government sending me something, not to worry and just pay it.

So I speak real loud and say - "Let me get this straight. We have to pay the government over a thousand dollars because of a data input error YOU made, and you charged us for the service?? That doesn't sound very good."

Guess he wasn't happy with me and called my sister. Sister says he'll be doing Mom's taxes for free this year
    Rabble rouser

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    I know his type. Arrogant, won't apologize for an obvious mistake and keeps saying a different piece of information over and over to disguise what really happened.

He said Revenue Canada would be sending me a statement at least three times and I kept trying to speak to clarify and ask a question about how it happened. Finally, I got loud and just steamrolled my observation into the river of bullshit he was spewing, and he became quiet and listened.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Pony (02-14-2019)