Thread: Restaurant slammed for 'revolting' Valentine's Day sign: 'That's so many levels of wrong'

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Toxic Restaurant slammed for 'revolting' Valentine's Day sign: 'That's so many levels of wrong'

By Michelle Gant | Fox News

A café in Auckland, New Zealand has sparked outrage for the “disgusting” Valentine’s Day sign it has on display.

Eiffel en Eden set up a chalkboard sign on the sidewalk in front of its entrance with a colorful message written in chalk that read: “On Valentine’s Day open the car door for her. After Valentine’s Day open the car boot [trunk] for her.”

A photo of the sign was shared on Twitter, calling the café out for making light of domestic violence.

“After so much effort to raise awareness of New Zealand's terrible violence against women a slow clap and a jaw drop for the most tone-deaf, unfunny sign in Auckland outside Eiffel en Eden on Dominion Road,” Ana Samways wrote.

Many commenters with equally outraged by the message, sharing their own distaste for the sign.

“That is disgusting!!”

“Revolting.”

“How was it still standing? Would’ve kicked it down lol.”

“That’s unbelievably awful.”

“It's like they *want* to alienate more than 50% of their customers. Not really playing with a full deck, is he?”

“That's so many levels of wrong.”

The café reportedly explained that the joke was meant to reference opening the trunk so a woman can load or unload groceries.

Others wrote that they spoke with the owner and explained how the message was coming across as offensive but he supposedly just argued that he has freedom of speech and told them to leave his shop. Someone else wrote that an employee hung up on them when they called to discuss it.

People also commented that they don’t understand why he’d want to keep the sign up since it’s alienating so many customers.

“The appropriate response would’ve been ‘oh crap, I didn’t know it could be taken that way, thank you for letting me know, I’ll change it.’ Seriously, how hard is it to be mindful of others?”

“I'm a big fan of freedom of speech, but where is his upside in this? What is the point?”

Not everyone, however, took the message as offensive and think it’s being blown out of proportion.

“What's wrong with the boot? Don't know about you guys - but that's where I put my groceries. As a busy working mum, to have a spare set of hands for that - is great!”

“A vague and ambiguous sign you've chosen to interpret in the worst way possible...”

Apparently this isn’t the first time this café has posted a questionable message on its signboard. One Twitter user shared a photo of the sign from March 2018 with another joke that comes off as misogynistic.

Eiffel en Eden couldn’t be reached for comment because the business removed its Facebook page.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    That sent me down a rabbit hole.

Dumb joke, yes. Otherwise, overblown.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Muddy (02-16-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (02-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,843 Times in 8,181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    That sent me down a rabbit hole.

Dumb joke, yes. Otherwise, overblown.
    Yeah, the humor wasn't really there and didn't make much sense.

I did like the software agreement one

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (02-15-2019), RBP (02-15-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (02-15-2019)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts
    Yeah, it wasn't all that funny, but of course the PC Police don't care, they need to point it out and have the internet posse attack!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-15-2019)