#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Dumb Clock ticking for winner to claim $1.5 billion Mega Millions prize

By Louis Casiano | Fox News

The clock is ticking for the winner of an unclaimed $1.5 billion lottery jackpot in South Carolina to come forward.

The winning ticket for the Oct. 23 Mega Millions drawing was sold at a KC Mart convenience store in Simpsonville, a suburb of Greenville. The winner has 180 days to come forward. The deadline runs out in 64 days on April 19, South Carolina Lottery spokeswoman Holli Armstrong said.

The $1.5 billion would be paid over 30 years or in an $878 million lump sum. If no one claims the prize, the state will lose out on an estimated $61 million in state income taxes the winner would be required to pay.

The 44 states that participate in the Mega Millions would each get the money they sold in tickets for the prize back. That means South Carolina would only receive $11 million.

While smaller prizes sometimes go unclaimed, it’s rare for prizes in the millions to go unaware. In 2002, a $63 million Mega Millions jackpot from New York went unclaimed.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    "I don't want to pay those taxes, so I just won't claim it! Screw South Carolina!"

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,841 Times in 8,179 Posts
    Damn that would crush you soul if you had the ticket and didn't claim

I had a ticket I checked for fun after a year and won nothing. I still was nervous doing it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You know what would be funny? They are trying to be dramatic and wait until the last day possible to claim the prize. Then on the way to the lottery office, they get stuck in traffic and arrive 5 minutes after they close for the day.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    You know what would be funny? They are trying to be dramatic and wait until the last day possible to claim the prize. Then on the way to the lottery office, they get stuck in traffic and arrive 5 minutes after they close for the day.
    people would die after

I read a story years ago about a young woman who won a substantial amount, decided to keep her old junker of a car and continued to work at the same job. She had a long, crappy commute and claimed she had worked too hard at her corporate job to give it up and had achieved a certain pay level within her company (I think 40 or 50k per year).

Less than a year later she was t-boned in a car accident, paralyzed and almost killed. I can't recall the type of car she had but one official said if she was driving a more modern vehicle with better safety features she could of walked away from the accident. They also said the accident occurred on her commute to work.

That story has stuck with me for years. I always told whatever boss I had, if I win the next day they get a faxed or scanned copy of the ticket and one of these

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,888 Posts
    So, aprox 120 days have gone by. Perhaps whoever won it is still working with tax attorneys to try and minimize what the feds and state gets?

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts
    They're scared shitless - always a way tho...

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    These people that win, and are smart, are getting financial advisors and companies setup to accept the money

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    These people that win, and are smart, are getting financial advisors and companies setup to accept the money
    Yeah, but they've already burned thru 4 months, even being meticulous it shouldn't take that long to get things set up.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, but they've already burned thru 4 months, even being meticulous it shouldn't take that long to get things set up.
    Guy here called his bank, his boss, bought a fireproof safe and booked a plane ticket the day he checked it at a gas station (we have to travel to eastern Canada to claim large prizes).