Thread: Beto O'Rourke says he 'absolutely' supports destroying existing walls on southern border

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Good News Beto O'Rourke says he 'absolutely' supports destroying existing walls on southern border

By Gregg Re | Fox News

Former Texas Democratic Rep. Beto O'Rourke said Thursday that he would "absolutely" support tearing down existing barriers along the southern border with Mexico, in a full-throated embrace of open-borders rhetoric that has left conservatives wondering where other potential 2020 Democratic White House hopefuls stand on the issue.

O'Rourke's comments came as the House and Senate passed a compromise spending bill that would partially fund President Trump's proposed border wall, to the tune of $1.4 billion. Trump, who had been pressing for billions more, has vowed to declare a national state of emergency to fund the remainder of the project.

Amid the congressional debate, Texas GOP Rep. Dan Crenshaw wrote on Twitter earlier Thursday that he wanted O'Rourke to answer a simple question: "If you could snap your fingers and make El Paso’s border wall disappear, would you?" He cited Department of Homeland Security (DHS) figures suggesting that illegal border crossings dropped sharply in El Paso following the construction of a wall there.

MSNBC host Chris Hayes posed a version of that question to O'Rourke on-air: "Would you, if you could, would you take the wall down here -- knock it down?"

"Yes, absolutely," answered O'Rourke, who is widely thought to be a potential candidate in 2020 but has not formally announced his intention to run. "I'd take the wall down."

Asked whether El Paso residents would support that move in a referendum, O'Rourke replied, "I do."

He continued: "Here's what we know. After the Secure Fence Act [of 2006], we have built 600 miles of wall and fencing on a 2,000-mile border. What that has done is not in any demonstrable way made us safer. It's cost us tens of billions of dollars to build and maintain. And it's pushed migrants and asylum seekers and refugees to the most inhospitable, the most hostile stretches of the U.S.-Mexico border, ensuring their suffering and death."

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and other Democrats, including then-Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, supported the Secure Fence Act of 2006, which authorized the construction of some 700 miles of fencing at the border. As of 2015, virtually all of that fencing had been completed, according to government figures.

"More than 4,000 human beings, little kids, women and children, have died," O'Rourke continued. "They're not in cages, they're not locked up, they're not separated -- they're dead, over the last 10 years, as we have walled off their opportunity to legally petition for asylum, to cross in urban centers like El Paso, to be with family, to work jobs, to do what any human being should have a right to be able to do, what we would do if faced with the same circumstances they were."

In response, Trump's 2020 campaign manager, Brad Parscale, asked on Twitter whether other possible or declared Democratic White House hopefuls agreed.

Earlier this month, Trump challenged House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who has called the White House's proposed southern border wall "an immorality," to explain why she is not insisting on the removal of existing physical barriers, or opposing ongoing construction of new wall projects near San Diego.

"If Nancy Pelosi thinks that Walls are 'immoral,' why isn’t she requesting that we take down all of the existing Walls between the U.S. and Mexico, even the new ones just built in San Diego at their very strong urging," Trump tweeted. "Let millions of unchecked 'strangers' just flow into the U.S."

Some progressives in Congress, including Democratic Texas Rep. Veronica Escobar, insisted this month that "we know walls don't work." Escobar, signaling she may support removing some barriers, called walls "ugly" and "monuments to division."

The San Diego Union-Tribune has reported that physical barriers, including walling and fencing, encompass some 46 miles of the city's 60-mile border with Mexico. In February, construction is slated to begin on 14 miles of additional secondary walling, with work to begin on 15 miles of replacement wall this summer.

Earlier this month, in an interview with CNN, Democratic California Rep. Juan Vargas acknowledged that those physical defenses were effective and enhanced security for local residents.

"I mean, you go to the border and you see long lines of people waiting to come in. ... So we do have a problem of having huge wait lines to come in,” Vargas told anchor Don Lemon. “You know, there is fencing already there, to be honest with you. There are places where we already have fencing where it made sense for some security.”

O'Rourke's comments to MSNBC on Thursday, however, were the most stark anti-wall comments yet by a prominent Democrat -- and set up another potential confrontation between Trump and the progressive star. On Monday night, Trump held a campaign-style rally in El Paso — just as O'Rourke led a border wall protest roughly a half-mile away.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    And it's pushed migrants and asylum seekers and refugees to the most inhospitable, the most hostile stretches of the U.S.-Mexico border
    But I thought walls don't work?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (02-18-2019), RBP (02-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    "More than 4,000 human beings, little kids, women and children, have died," O'Rourke continued. "They're not in cages, they're not locked up, they're not separated -- they're dead, over the last 10 years, as we have walled off their opportunity to legally petition for asylum, to cross in urban centers like El Paso, to be with family, to work jobs, to do what any human being should have a right to be able to do, what we would do if faced with the same circumstances they were."
    This is my favorite part of all the BS....they claim all these people died coming here, but they leave off the "ILLEGALLY" part. I'm pretty sure that El Paso isn't walled off completely from Mexico. Pretty sure they have ports of entry and if these people really wanted to "...legally petition for asylum, to cross in urban centers like El Paso, to be with family, to work jobs..." then they could do it LEGALLY at the port of entry. I have ZERO sympathy for them dying out in the middle of the desert if they are trying to illegally cross the border.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    How dare you blame the victims for their actions when it was obviously our fault for not making it easier for them to break into our country.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (02-15-2019), RBP (02-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    How dare you blame the victims for their actions when it was obviously our fault for not making it easier for them to break into our country.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Huh...I thought we made it impossible to come to this country. Why are there three different ports of entry in El Paso then? Is Mr. Beto trying to over dramatize the situation?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    This^
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    This is my favorite part of all the BS....they claim all these people died coming here, but they leave off the "ILLEGALLY" part. I'm pretty sure that El Paso isn't walled off completely from Mexico. Pretty sure they have ports of entry and if these people really wanted to "...legally petition for asylum, to cross in urban centers like El Paso, to be with family, to work jobs..." then they could do it LEGALLY at the port of entry. I have ZERO sympathy for them dying out in the middle of the desert if they are trying to illegally cross the border.
    "It's cost us tens of billions of dollars to build and maintain. And it's pushed migrants and asylum seekers and refugees to the most inhospitable, the most hostile stretches of the U.S.-Mexico border, ensuring their suffering and death."

1. 10's of billions to build and maintain a 600 mile fence? We know farmers who do it cheaper

2. As you mention, their suffering and deaths are a result of an attempted illegal act. Did someone actually 'push' them into that decision?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    "It's cost us tens of billions of dollars to build and maintain. And it's pushed migrants and asylum seekers and refugees to the most inhospitable, the most hostile stretches of the U.S.-Mexico border, ensuring their suffering and death."

1. 10's of billions to build and maintain a 600 mile fence? We know farmers who do it cheaper

2. As you mention, their suffering and deaths are a result of an attempted illegal act. Did someone actually 'push' them into that decision?
    Yeah, I'm thinking the "10's of billions" is probably an exaggeration. And nope, nobody pushed them that way, they decided they wanted to come in, laws and regulations be damned. So whatever happens to them out in the desert, that's 100% on them.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking the "10's of billions" is probably an exaggeration. And nope, nobody pushed them that way, they decided they wanted to come in, laws and regulations be damned. So whatever happens to them out in the desert, that's 100% on them.
    They can't die in the desert if they can't cross the border.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (02-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Of course walls work. The Great Wall of China was started over 2000 years ago and they've never been invaded by Mexicans.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (02-15-2019), Hal-9000 (02-16-2019), RBP (02-15-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (02-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Of course walls work. The Great Wall of China was started over 2000 years ago and they've never been invaded by Mexicans.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Classic, Griff.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    This is how stupid these people are, they tell you it isn't working, then turn around and tell you how it's working (by accident)