Thread: School helps students ‘nurture feminist masculinities’ during ‘Masculinities Month’

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Toxic School helps students ‘nurture feminist masculinities’ during ‘Masculinities Month’

Aryssa Damron, Yale University - The College Fix

The Emily Taylor Center for Women & Gender Equity at the University of Kansas has devoted the month of February to developing “feminist masculinities” and questioning “the collective socialization of men” through a slate of activities they’ve dubbed “Masculinities Month.”

Eight events are scheduled for the month, ranging from DIY craft nights to a keynote address by a prominent anti-patriarchy writer.

“Through these [events], the Emily Taylor Center encourages you to learn about and question the ‘collective socialization of men,’ the ‘traditional masculine script,’ and the concept of ‘the man box’; consider the relationship between intersectionality and masculinities; explore the differences between patriarchy and feminism as well as between patriarchal masculinity and feminist masculinity,” the center’s website states.

“We also share strategies for those seeking to practice and/or nurture feminist masculinities in their everyday lives.”

The center did not respond to The College Fix’s request for comment on event attendance so far, as well as where the funding for the month’s programs comes from.

Two of the month’s events are “zine” nights, where participants can gather to make “zines” or tiny homemade magazines. One event is geared toward zines where participants can “create your own counternarrative.” The zines will be collected, copied, and disseminated on-campus by the center. Organizers of the zine events did not respond to requests for comment on the expected turnout for the activities.

Masculinities Month kicked off with a roundtable discussion on “The Rise of ‘Toxic Masculinity’ and ‘Woke Capitalism,'” a panel hosted by five university affiliates. The event’s Facebook page states it was attended by 14 individuals.

A lunch forum was also hosted on “incels,” a community of “involuntarily celibate” men that, according to the event’s Facebook page, “promotes violence against women.” The lunch featured a presentation on “incels” hosted by a transgender YouTube personality. The Facebook event indicates that six people attended it.

The keynote speaker for the month was Donna Zuckerberg, author of the book “Not All Dead White Men: Classics and Misogyny in the Digital Age.” Zuckerberg’s book focused on “a virulent strain of antifeminism” and dived into the “virtual communities of the far right.”

According to the event’s Facebook page, it was co-sponsored by “Sexual Assault Prevention and Education Center, the Department of American Studies, the Department of Classics, and the Department of Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas,” and 23 people attended.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-20-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    It's actually a very productive strategy. Keep up the male hate to prevent backlash while taking over academia and corporate america.

I feel bad for the boys. They are fucked. And we are doing NOTHING.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I wouldn't recommend college to anyone at this point, boy or girl, unless what they really wanted out of life required a college diploma. But to go to college to just 'go to college'? No fucking way.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I wouldn't recommend college to anyone at this point, boy or girl, unless what they really wanted out of life required a college diploma. But to go to college to just 'go to college'? No fucking way.
    Part of the issue with men falling further behind is that work that didn't used to have a college requirement now does, and for no apparent reason. Far more women are going to college and finishing college.

I asked several people in healthcare why all nurses had to have a BSN now. Not a single person knew the answer.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Part of the issue with men falling further behind is that work that didn't used to have a college requirement now does, and for no apparent reason. Far more women are going to college and finishing college.

I asked several people in healthcare why all nurses had to have a BSN now. Not a single person knew the answer.
    Oh I know, it's retarded that so many positions 'require' a college degree. But like you said, for what purpose? FFS there are machine shops that are looking for people and they want them to have a degree. You don't need a college degree to work in a fucking machine shop. I know, I've been doing it for more than 30 years now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-20-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    I find it interesting the article brought up incels...

I wonder how much of this toxic femininity helped create that new niche of disturbed male individuals?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-21-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Oh I know, it's retarded that so many positions 'require' a college degree. But like you said, for what purpose? FFS there are machine shops that are looking for people and they want them to have a degree. You don't need a college degree to work in a fucking machine shop. I know, I've been doing it for more than 30 years now.
    We have an Express Scripts in town. They employ "Patient Care Advocates" and it requires a bachelor's degree to get the job. You know what they do? Answer phones. That's it. They answer phones.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 02-20-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-21-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    We have an Express Scripts in town. They employ "Patient Care Advocates" and it requires a bachelor's degree to get the job. You know what they do? Answer phones. That's it. They answer phones.
    Yeah, that's exactly the kind of BS I mean. WTF do they need a college degree for when they are answering phones?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-21-2019)