Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spike Lee ‘furious’ when ‘Green Book’ won best picture Oscar, appears to try and storm out of theater: report

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    I understand wanting to make movies that speak to you. But doesn't Spike realize the industry he's so upset with has also given him a fine life and the opportunity to create whatever he wants?

Look I'm mad none of the original Star Wars movies didn't win best picture...I didn't throw a hissy fit over it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I understand wanting to make movies that speak to you. But doesn't Spike realize the industry he's so upset with has also given him a fine life and the opportunity to create whatever he wants?

Look I'm mad none of the original Star Wars movies didn't win best picture...I didn't throw a hissy fit over it.
    And, maybe Spikes movies don't speak so loudly to those outside of his narrow view.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (02-26-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    And, maybe Spikes movies don't speak so loudly to those outside of his narrow view.
    You've touched upon the great truth I think Muddy. If 18-35 yr olds are the target demographic for movies and certain subjects don't do well, there's a reason.

Yes we all want to see women and people of color get jobs within all aspects of life, but no one can be held accountable for subject matter that doesn't make a buck.

If a Steven Spielberg movie about robots in the future makes more money than a movie about black rights in the 50's, that only means more people want to see the robots. It doesn't mean the black rights movie is any less important, just less watched.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Heard someone today defending why Spike was mad at Green Book winning. Apparently the black musician it's based on, Don Shirley, his family wasn't pleased with the film as they weren't consulted, and they felt it was a 'white savior movie.' I haven't seen the film so my knee-jerk was to think that if that's true, perhaps there's some reason Spike could be upset it won....

... but then I found this and I'm back to just thinking people are just being dicks

Shirley family reaction

Shirley's relatives condemned the film, stating that they were not contacted by studio representatives until after development, and that it misrepresented Shirley's relationship with his family. Don's brother Maurice Shirley said, "My brother never considered Tony to be his 'friend'; he was an employee, his chauffeur (who resented wearing a uniform and cap). This is why context and nuance are so important. The fact that a successful, well-to-do Black artist would employ domestics that did NOT look like him, should not be lost in translation."[43]

Mahershala Ali responded with an apology to Shirley’s nephew Edwin Shirley III, saying that "I did the best I could with the material I had" and that he was not aware that there were "close relatives with whom I could have consulted to add some nuance to the character."[44] Writer-director Peter Farrelly said that he was under the impression that there "weren't a lot of family members" still alive, that they did not take major liberties with the story, and that relatives of whom he was aware had been invited to a private screening for friends and family.[44] On January 14, 2019, NBA Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar published a piece in The Hollywood Reporter defending Green Book despite its alleged historical inaccuracies. Abdul-Jabbar argued that discrepancies of some of the depicted events "may irk family members", but "they don't really matter because those plot details are about getting to a greater truth than whatever the mundane facts are."[45]

Nick Vallelonga said in a January 2019 interview with Variety magazine that Dr. Shirley asked him not to speak to anyone else while writing the story. He went on to explain:
    It's unfortunate to me because I don't want to hurt the Shirley family in any way. [Don Shirley and Tony Vallelonga] were together a year and a half and they did remain friends. There's a lot of information [that the Shirley family] doesn't have, and they were hurt that I didn't speak to them. But to be quite honest with you, Don Shirley himself told me not to speak to anyone. And he only wanted certain parts of his life. He only allowed me to tell what happened on the trip. Since [the family] were not on the trip—this is right out of his mouth—he said, "No one else was there but your father and I. We've told you." And he approved what I put in and didn't put in. So obviously, to say I didn't contact them, that was hard for me because I didn't want to betray what I promised him.[46]