vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

News Restaurant says kids younger than 6-years-old no longer welcome

McDain's Owner Says 'Volume Can't Be Controlled' Under Age 6
    WTAE Channel 4 News

MONROEVILLE, Pa. -- Stephanie Kelley, of Trafford, has been a weekly customer of McDain's Restaurant and Golf Center. Not any more.

The eatery on Broadway Boulevard in Monroeville has decided to stop admitting young children, and she's the mother of a toddler.

"I can't believe this. I am offended. This is just an ignorant policy," Kelley told Team 4 investigator Jim Parsons.

In an email sent to loyal McDain's customers, owner Mike Vuick wrote, "Beginning July 16, 2011, McDain's Restaurant will no longer admit children under six years of age. We feel that McDain's is not a place for young children. Their volume can't be controlled and many, many times, they have disturbed other customers."

Vuick explained his reasoning to Team 4 on Friday, saying, "I think it's the height of being impolite and selfish, and therefore, I instituted a policy."

The owner said he won't make exceptions with the new rule.

"Nothing wrong with babies, but the fact is you can't control their volume," Vuick said. "There may be restaurants that prefer to cater to such things. Not here."

Kelley's son, Jameson, is 13 months old. She had planned a July 16 dinner outing at McDain's with a group of 20 visiting family members from North Carolina, but Vuick told her he would not take the reservation if she plans to bring young Jameson.

"We really enjoy eating at McDain's, and Jameson is very well-behaved," Kelley said. "If they're so concerned about noise, what do they plan to do about the loud people at the bar?"

Customers who spoke with Parsons on Friday said children in the restaurant don't bother them, but they support Vuick's right to deny service.

"It's up to him. If he thinks they're a problem under 6, then I think the patrons should abide by that," Suzanne Swigart said.

"Out they go," Paul Swigart said. "if that's his determination, out they go."

Vuick said he's confident that a majority of his customers will support the new policy.

"We've had the place here for 22 years, and the restaurant for nine, and I've noticed in those nine years there are certain parents who can't leave their children at home," Vuick said.

"You know, their child -- maybe as it should be -- is the center of their universe. But they don't realize it's not the center of the universe."

Restaurants cannot ban senior citizens, because they're in a protected class under the law, but there is no law that protects children from being denied service.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    Restaurants cannot ban senior citizens, because they're in a protected class under the law, but there is no law that protects children from being denied service.
    Odd footnote. As if senior citizens create a ruckus.

My opinion, about damn time! I hate kids in public places, and agree with the (politely phrased) sentiments he expressed about some parents and some children. To put it in non-PC terms, some parents let their kids do whatever the fuck they want and don't even try to control them.
    Behold my signature~!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    Fuck you hippy
    Pippa~!!
    The horse does not eat cucumber salad.
    I think everyone in my world, the normal world, knows that Mark Levin and Hannity are relevant only to the angriest, most bitter Americans. (Alec Baldwin)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
    Odd footnote. As if senior citizens create a ruckus.

My opinion, about damn time! I hate kids in public places, and agree with the (politely phrased) sentiments he expressed about some parents and some children. To put it in non-PC terms, some parents let their kids do whatever the fuck they want and don't even try to control them.
    I agree 100%

There will be parents that are mad about this, or mad at people like us with this opinion, but the only people they should be mad about are the parents that can't control their monsters children and ruined it for all the other families.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    I think that's exactly what the restaurant owner was alluding to without outright saying it...the parents are responsible.

"Their volume can't be controlled and many, many times, they have disturbed other customers."

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I agree 100%

There will be parents that are mad about this, or mad at people like us with this opinion, but the only people they should be mad about are the parents that can't control their monsters children and ruined it for all the other families.
    I do actually feel bad about those parents who control their children. Sucks for them. But a business can't spend all day vetting who is and isn't a responsible parent. And of course, if you let one kid in, the asshole parents of those out of control brats will be up in arms about having their kid banned. The only option is to keep them all out.

Also, and mind you I was a kid in the seventies and went to a LOT of bars with my dad, but this is a restaurant/bar combination. Toddlers don't need to be in that environment anyway.

On a side note, tying in with the above statement and just to reflect changing times, but there was a bar my dad frequented where the owner would actually boot out anyone who got loud or started swearing. Because, and I kid you not, he ran a 'family bar'.

I have fond memories of every bar I went to, the barmen were always nice and the patrons friendly. But, those were all old neighborhood style places. Some of the patrons were older and missed their own families, some had a lot of broken dreams. So, they tended to be nice to kids. If you didn't grow up in that era you probably would never understand. These days I think bars are best kid free.
    Behold my signature~!!

Fuck you hippy
    Pippa~!!
    I think everyone in my world, the normal world, knows that Mark Levin and Hannity are relevant only to the angriest, most bitter Americans. (Alec Baldwin)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    FUCK, Mcdains ! Looks like a dump anyway... I hope someone pisses in your IV bag when you get older and need to count on someone to feed you..

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    See, I'm always right

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post
    FUCK, Mcdains ! Looks like a dump anyway... I hope someone pisses in your IV bag when you get older and need to count on someone to feed you..

a proud parent weighs in ^^^

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    See, I'm always right
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    a proud parent weighs in ^^^
    Kids suck ass.
    Behold my signature~!!

Fuck you hippy
    Pippa~!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
    Kids suck ass.

That's what your mom says every time she sees your fat ass laying on her couch in the evening..

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Funny this is here... There was this 9 month old at the sushi restaurant tonight... she was adorable, half the place was smiling at her Good as gold too.

I don't have a strong opinion... but I eat meals out a lot and don't remember the last time kids bothered us

These guido's in their late 20's/early 30's with a little money, (wearing UFC clothing and over-sized watches with fake-tan girlfriends), screaming and being morons like they own the place? Fuck them. Ban those guys.
    Last edited by Godfather; 07-13-2011 at 03:43 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    I couldn't live in an area that apparently has only one eating establishment to patronize.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post
    That's what your mom says every time she sees your fat ass laying on her couch in the evening..
    You know I am fat, and do live with my mother.

I'm going into that thread where I defended you and editing my post to defend the other guy!
    Behold my signature~!!

Fuck you hippy
    Pippa~!!

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    as a dad i can see both sides of this ,i have what i think is a well behaved kid that will sit at a table and wait in a nice way ,yet there are parents who go out and think that the places they go should look after there kids as part of the service and let them run around ,shout and piss off other customers ,there are many other places that would cater for kids in this area i would think so don't fight the ban it's that place that is willing to lose money from families be doing this

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by redred View Post
    as a dad i can see both sides of this ,i have what i think is a well behaved kid that will sit at a table and wait in a nice way ,yet there are parents who go out and think that the places they go should look after there kids as part of the service and let them run around ,shout and piss off other customers ,there are many other places that would cater for kids in this area i would think so don't fight the ban it's that place that is willing to lose money from families be doing this
    Very well said....and that's the problem. People shouldn't be mad at the restaurant, they should be mad at the moron parents that let their monsters precious little angels run wild and ruin everyone else's time at the restaurant. Directing their anger anywhere else is just stupid.

But, but, but what about the rights of the parents and their little angels to be able to go out to eat? Yeah, well what about my right to go out to a restaurant and eat in peace without some little brat screaming and yelling and running all around the restaurant while the parents do absolutely nothing about it?

Take your kids to Chuck E Cheese if you want them to run wild.