Thread: Entertainment Media Now on a Full-Court Press to Boost Captain Marvel

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post

And that was less than half the song

Watch out Bonnie, they's a comin for you!
    That was back when men were allowed to be men, and women knew how to make a sandwich.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Why would she sabotage her own film? That has to be an echo-chamber blind spot.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Why would she sabotage her own film? That has to be an echo-chamber blind spot.
    Maybe she was asked to do it by the powers that be at Marvel Studios. Maybe they knew they had a subpar film on their hands, one that they knew their normal base wouldn't think very much of. If they ask her to go out and do the SJW thing before the film's released, they can blame any and all bad reviews by men as the Patriarchy trying to hold strong women down, in an effort to deflect from the fact that the movie sucks.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 03-08-2019 at 04:56 AM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-08-2019)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,091 Times in 59,905 Posts

Oops Feminists Say Only Males Critics Blasting ‘Captain Marvel’: Here Are Female Critics Panning It

James Barrett - The Daily Wire

"All the negative reviews for #CaptainMarvel are from men," feminist website The Mary Sue declared Tuesday as the early reviews began streaming in for Marvel's — as star Brie Larson describes it — "big feminist movie." The declaration was accompanied by a series of tweets by self-styled "film journalist" Alyssa Klein telling male critics to "sit this one out," with the suggestion that a "feminist" movie can only be properly reviewed by women.

"I'm so excited to finally see Marvel's first woman superhero movie," Klein tweeted Tuesday. "I'm less excited about the fact that many of the biggest publications are having men write their #CaptainMarvel reviews." After highlighting/shaming a bunch of reviews by men, Klein offered some advice to male critics: "[I]f you're a male critic reading this thread and you're asked to write a review of #CaptainMarvel for a major publication, consider saying 'You know, I think I should sit this one out and make room for women's voices.'"

While there certainly are more reviews of "Captain Marvel" by men than women — because there are simply far more male reviewers than female reviewers — the suggestion that male reviewers would be biased against the "big feminist" film reveals more about the feminists making the claim than the reviewers. The reality is a good critic should be able to assess a film on its own merits and put aside, at least to some degree, their biases, including any supposed innate gender biases. As evidence that Mary Sue's claim is false and its underlying premise flawed, below are some excerpts from negative reviews of "Captain Marvel" by female critics.

Reeling Reviews' Laura Clifford gives the film a C- and describes Larson's performance as particularly problematic: "...I found the whole film to be a muddle of special effects, disjointed writing and lack of humor. The humor, especially, is built in to the other Marvel films and I wonder why there is nearly none in 'Captain Marvel.' The answer, I think is in the film's star, Brie Larson, as hot-shot fighter pilot and kick ass warrior Carol Danvers. She is OK in the action sequences, which are many, but is too serious an actor for the character. That is a real problem for a hero in a franchise that is known for its mirth. ... It is telling that there are eight credited writers, making this a kitchen sink of clichés."

World's Megan Basham was really turned off by all the "girl-power pandering": "There’s a moment in Captain Marvel where the girl-power pandering is so over the top it makes the rest of the movie pointless. Carol Danvers, aka 'Vers,' finally discovers the full range of her superpowers and, to the never-so-subtle strains of Gwen Stefani’s 'Just a Girl,' proceeds to pummel a battalion of alien bad guys single-handedly. Her abilities prove so dominant that she can seemingly do anything, be it fly to farthest reaches of space without protective gear or destroy intergalactic warheads with a single blow. Thus does the cause of female empowerment lay waste to old-fashioned storytelling notions like tension and surprise, otherwise known as ... reasons for the audience to stay interested in what’s happening on the screen."

Time's Stephanie Zacharek also found all the "girl power" a bit overpowering: "Is anyone else getting tired of role models? I don’t mean real-life people who are doing estimable work every day, like Ruth Bader Ginsburg (although even her recent commodification, through no fault of her own, threatens to flatten some of her dimensions), but virtuous fictional women who are put up before us as a jaunty reminder that 'Girls can do anything!' Girls can do anything and, like all children, young girls can have moments of self-doubt, times when they need reassurance. And there’s no reason we shouldn’t be seeing women superheroes on-screen; Lord knows there are enough guys. But the delivery system matters, too. And while we know that little girls (or boys, for that matter) might not rush out to see an earnest biopic of, say, Harriet Tubman, Eleanor Roosevelt or Margaret Sanger, does our sense of the power and capability of women always have to be filtered through a highly fictionalized superhero universe—as if that were the only way we could possibly bring ourselves to register the value of what women can bring to the table? Words like badass and kick-ass, used to describe women, have been trotted out so often that they’ve come to mean nothing. They tell us little about whether a woman has any sense of judgment or style or true intelligence. The idea is that it’s best just to bash your way through everything, just as so many guys do. That way, no one will ever think of you as weak."

Culteress's Kristen Lopez thought Larson was "marvelous" but her "big feminist" message, not so much: "Strong moments of character development are immediately dashed away for extended fight scenes leaving characters to feel more like archetypes and not actual people. An extended sequence in Louisiana seems drawn from another movie entirely and should have been developed further. This underdevelopment leaves the third act feeling confusing and unearned. It’s hard to fear what we don’t understand. And yet that mantra permeates Captain Marvel in a way that rings truer than the feminist message it wants to be about."

What She Said's Ann Brody wasn't thrilled by the "dark and empty" film: "The problem is the relentless jolts-per-second universe of special effects and endless fights, tech overload and turgid robotic friend/enemy roleplay. The characters display recognisable humanity which is the film’s balance but not often enough or convincingly. There’s something dark and empty in all the fanfare and fuss, and it seems aimed solely at an audience that grew up in video arcades."

Us Weekly's Mara Weinstein gave the not "epic" film a disappointing 2.5 out of 4 stars: "Sometimes when you have sky-high expectations for a film, there’s nowhere to go but down. Even when the focus is a superhero — scratch that, superheroine — that flies. Enter Captain Marvel, the first female to get above-the-title treatment in the Marvel Comic Universe. That is no small deal. Her film, alas, is no epic."

That's certainly not all of the negative reviews; in fact, even the generally positive reviews by female critics emphasized many of the same shortcomings as the critics above, but most gave the film a net positive rating because of its high-octane action, its often spectacular sequences, and Larson's solid (enough) performance.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (03-08-2019), RBP (03-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    May not be an accurate comparison but I found it strange so many people were talking about Black Panther getting best film (except the academy..).

I haven't seen it and read some joke about not seeing many white faces throughout the film

No offense but it's a super hero film and one about a little known/recognized character in the genre.

The world can't put a film like that against other dramas and serious contenders in different genres for best picture, unless it's absolutely spectacular.

Female Captain Marvel just doesn't rev my engine in any way due to the material and the actress they chose to play her

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Black Panther wasn't half the movie that The Winter Soldier was. Hell, it wasn't even as good as the first Iron Man. Sure, it wasn't bad, per se, but it certainly didn't deserve all of the fawning accolades that the media heaped on it.

The article hammers a point home that echoes my problem with Rey in the new Star Wars trilogy: characters with unlimited power for no fucking reason aside from "look, she's a girl". Ok, she's a girl, and you took that girl and turned her into the single most uninteresting, uncompelling character on the screen. These 'girls' aren't heroes/heroines. Heroes fall, they get back up in the face of insurmountable odds. They have faults. They're not so incredibly powerful that they kick the living shit out of everything in their path. They have to overcome setbacks, they have to learn, they have to grow and change... that's what makes them heroic. That's the archetype. These "girl power" movies are shitting all over the archetype that would endear them to future generations to come.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I wonder if Captain marvels pussy gets naturally wet or does she require lube.. ?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Black Panther wasn't half the movie that The Winter Soldier was. Hell, it wasn't even as good as the first Iron Man. Sure, it wasn't bad, per se, but it certainly didn't deserve all of the fawning accolades that the media heaped on it.

The article hammers a point home that echoes my problem with Rey in the new Star Wars trilogy: characters with unlimited power for no fucking reason aside from "look, she's a girl". Ok, she's a girl, and you took that girl and turned her into the single most uninteresting, uncompelling character on the screen. These 'girls' aren't heroes/heroines. Heroes fall, they get back up in the face of insurmountable odds. They have faults. They're not so incredibly powerful that they kick the living shit out of everything in their path. They have to overcome setbacks, they have to learn, they have to grow and change... that's what makes them heroic. That's the archetype. These "girl power" movies are shitting all over the archetype that would endear them to future generations to come.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post

On a related note if they keep switching out characters just because they want a woman or POC in the role instead, we're going to see this steady dilution and then finally obsolescence of what made the character great in the first place. There's a reason Spider Man is a guy. Because the character was created that way.

Maybe instead of crapping all over every male-written character in history, why not create some new female ones? In life I'm rarely a bigot but I don't need to see a black Superman same way I don't need to see a remake of the Roots mini-series featuring an all-Norweigan cast.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (03-11-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    On a related note if they keep switching out characters just because they want a woman or POC in the role instead, we're going to see this steady dilution and then finally obsolescence of what made the character great in the first place. There's a reason Spider Man is a guy. Because the character was created that way.

Maybe instead of crapping all over every male-written character in history, why not create some new female ones? In life I'm rarely a bigot but I don't need to see a black Superman same way I don't need to see a remake of the Roots mini-series featuring an all-Norweigan cast.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,923 Times in 6,613 Posts
    Its gender and racial appropriation and it sucks. The think that made Marvel great was how well they treated the original source material and now they want to fuck it all up for snowflakes.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fricnjay For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Spider-man should be a queer black trangender woman

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I haven't watched the new Spiderman cartoon despite rave reviews. One - cartoon, two - he turned black?

It's the actual change that bothers me rather than seeing a black or female actor in the role if that makes sense. It's jarring and takes me out of the moment. Are we supposed to just forget about a 50 year back history because the new-world figures ____ should not be a white male now?

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,923 Times in 6,613 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Tell that to Stan Lee and and Steve Ditko.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fricnjay View Post
    Its gender and racial appropriation and it sucks. The think that made Marvel great was how well they treated the original source material and now they want to fuck it all up for snowflakes.
    That's how I feel. If you want superheroes or characters in general to be POC and/or female, create some new ones. They keep going back to the well changing established characters and there's no need for it. Superman was a white guy. Get over it, accept it and move on.