Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: At least 49 dead in 'terrorist' shootings at 2 New Zealand mosques, 4 nabbed, IEDs found

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I watched the full video. It was bad, but coldly clinical and removed at the same time. He kept going back to two piles of bodies within the Mosque that he had already shot and putting more bullets into them.

What was somehow more horrifying was him jogging outside and taking random shots at pedestrians on the street. He shot from his car as well when he was driving away from the scene and I think he got at least two people firing through the windows.

Fuck. Horrible.

I'm pretty immune to Gore having been on the internet since the early days, but I'll probably skip this one. I noticed the usual places I'd see it pop up on reddit like /r/watchpeopledie and /r/gore have been permanently banned just after this tragedy. I'm not exactly clear why, those subs had videos of every gruesome thing you can imagine and survived posting through a number of similar shootings. Maybe this one just drew too much heat from main stream media or something and the admins had enough.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Absolutely horrific story The first man shot welcomed the shooter at the door saying 'Hello Brother, welcome.' How can anyone be capable of this...
    [welcome to the answer to your otherwise rhetorical question. I do that some times]

We are all capable of it. Nature of humanity. Did a sociopath get molded into a psychopath? (cue Lost to say they are the same thing - he's a forensics guy). Is that even possible? I'd say yes, a sociopath by nature could devolve into psychopathy, but could be treated. The true psychopath cannot. Given his apparent lack of violent or criminal history, I'm leaning more towards a psychotic break. The intensely planned details , the writings, the markings on the guns, the incoherent rambling manifesto, the purposeful calm in execution, all put in that in a psychopathy category.

I have not gone too deep, but the meme-based clues are troubling. Significant references drawn from popular culture, politics, memes, and the chan boards - he was clearly looking to incite more generally. And if you had any doubt, his final troll was brilliant. There is an arrest photo of him flashing the "okay" symbol. That is a chan-created hoax that worked to convince many MSM outlets and people that the okay symbol was a solidarity show with white supremacists. And what did the press do with that photo? They ran it as "suspect flashes white supremacist sign in arrest photo". He got exactly what he wanted.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Godfather (03-16-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,843 Times in 8,181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Fuck. Horrible.

I'm pretty immune to Gore having been on the internet since the early days, but I'll probably skip this one. I noticed the usual places I'd see it pop up on reddit like /r/watchpeopledie and /r/gore have been permanently banned just after this tragedy. I'm not exactly clear why, those subs had videos of every gruesome thing you can imagine and survived posting through a number of similar shootings. Maybe this one just drew too much heat from main stream media or something and the admins had enough.
    I didn't want to post my source here because I wasn't sure how Lance would feel about it. There were a lot worse videos on that site and I watched three of them before leaving.

The reason I sought it out was to see the chain of events. Each news site varied and I still don't know if this guy did his thing at one Mosque, then drove over to Mosque 2 and continued, then got caught by police? I read where two other people were arrested and saw his car stopped with the one wheel in the air near the curb.

Yeah man I thought I had watched all the gore I needed during my first year on the net. Some news stories compel me to see them, if only to understand my own feelings on the subject and to confirm I guess in some odd way that I'm still sensitive to life and living. Better stop as this is getting deep and I can't afford Lost's rates.

This one was lambs to the slaughter in the strictest sense
    Last edited by Hal-9000; 03-16-2019 at 06:01 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I didn't want to post my source here because I wasn't sure how Lance would feel about it. There were a lot worse videos on that site and I watched three of them before leaving.

The reason I sought it out was to see the chain of events. Each news site varied and I still don't know if this guy did his thing at one Mosque, then drove over to Mosque 2 and continued, then got caught by police? I read where two other people were arrested and saw his car stopped with the one wheel in the air near the curb.

Yeah man I thought I had watched all the gore I needed during my first year on the net. Some news stories compel me to see them, if only to understand my own feelings on the subject and to confirm I guess in some odd way that I'm still sensitive to life and living. Better stop as this is getting deep and I can't afford Lost's rates

This one was lambs to a slaughter in the strictest sense
    I'm sure I could dig it up too, and I don't judge you at all for watching it, I think there must be something in us that causes us to not look away. I'll be the first to admit that once every few months or so this morbid curiosity would draw me back to /r/watchpeopledie. Some videos were too much, a couple I wish I'd never seen, but it is just a reality check on how fragile we are. A lot of those vids are just people getting smoked in intersections or making a mistake on the job. It gives you a situational awareness and appreciation of sorts.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I didn't want to post my source here because I wasn't sure how Lance would feel about it.
    It should not be posted or linked on this site. And get out of that rabbit hole; there is no good that will come of it.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-16-2019), perrhaps (03-17-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    [welcome to the answer to your otherwise rhetorical question. I do that some times]

We are all capable of it. Nature of humanity. Did a sociopath get molded into a psychopath? (cue Lost to say they are the same thing - he's a forensics guy). Is that even possible? I'd say yes, a sociopath by nature could devolve into psychopathy, but could be treated. The true psychopath cannot. Given his apparent lack of violent or criminal history, I'm leaning more towards a psychotic break. The intensely planned details , the writings, the markings on the guns, the incoherent rambling manifesto, the purposeful calm in execution, all put in that in a psychopathy category.

I have not gone too deep, but the meme-based clues are troubling. Significant references drawn from popular culture, politics, memes, and the chan boards - he was clearly looking to incite more generally. And if you had any doubt, his final troll was brilliant. There is an arrest photo of him flashing the "okay" symbol. That is a chan-created hoax that worked to convince many MSM outlets and people that the okay symbol was a solidarity show with white supremacists. And what did the press do with that photo? They ran it as "suspect flashes white supremacist sign in arrest photo". He got exactly what he wanted.
    I agree with everything you said.

Regarding your last point on the memes, I had a look at the 4chan /pol/ board last night. What a mess. He riled them up exactly as intended. A few of them are saying 'jesus this was all just satire I didn't want anyone hurt,' some are still making jokes (albeit distasteful but jokes none the less), some seem to be genuinely pleased, and of course there's always the group that thinks it's a hoax/conspiracy and are diving deep into what they believe is evidence. The internet is going to internet I guess....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-16-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks

My small amount of knowledge on the subject says that modern head shrinkers and FBI analysts feel that psychopaths and sociopaths are the considered the same thing. The psychotic break comment is interesting because I understood that to mean it was an event that was the catalyst for the activity, rather than a more drawn out preplanning phase. The formative portion of this guy's plan seems to go back years so it doesn't appear there was any one event that pushed him into action. eg A killer will fantasize about killing someone and up to that point only hurt animals, perhaps rape and release a woman. Then he loses his job, gets rejected/divorced by a partner, is publicly humiliated and that event moves him to act on his thoughts.

The motives and timing are nitpicking without knowing and probably not important to the discussion. He videoed the event which to me is the message. From his statement about subscribing to the gamer pewdiedie to his knowing the world would likely seek out the video, as you said he was doing the ultimate trolling job. I'm still amazed he lived through it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-16-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It should not be posted or linked on this site. And get out of that rabbit hole; there is no good that will come of it.
    Righto...I had to expunge the bad stuff

Let's go look at some titties now (not Muddy's)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-16-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Last three books I've read in order:

Columbine - Dave Cullen

Whoever Fights Monsters - Robert Ressler

Green River, Running Red - Ann Rule

I think I may be ready for Treasure Island now...

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    We have a yellow vest movement in our province and some are affiliated with pipeline and job issues, some are affiliated with white supremacy and racial issues.

I read some of the comments regarding this attack from some of the yellow vesters and they make me ashamed to share the same color skin.

They really do feel that every Muslim worshiper in the world is an extremist and the NZ shooting is a way of evening things up.

Aren't they intelligent enough to realize that in the same way that most Christians are not Westboro Baptists, most Muslims are peace loving pacifists?

Actually belay that post...this is a mental health issue, not a belief issue.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-17-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    This Afghan refugee was at the second Mosque and allegedly stopped the gunman. He yelled at the shooter then picked up and threw a credit card machine at him. Weaving through cars while being shot at, he then picked up a rifle that was discarded and threw it at the car the shooter had retreated to. Rifle smashed the window and the shooter drove away to be captured by the police minutes later.

I say give this guy the Balls of Steel Award.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/mosque...r-saving-lives

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (03-17-2019), RBP (03-17-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts

Still hurting too much to comment or think about him. New Zealand is like our little brother.

I'm sure there'll be an analysis of the shooter in the future. There's no opportunity for rehab.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    I just read something and I hesitate to post it, because if it's false, it's absolute despicable libel. I'm just going to ask: Has anyone else seen articles online claiming that one of the mosques that was shot up had ties to extreme Islamic terrorists?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    I just read something and I hesitate to post it, because if it's false, it's absolute despicable libel. I'm just going to ask: Has anyone else seen articles online claiming that one of the mosques that was shot up had ties to extreme Islamic terrorists?
    I haven't read anything like that but did see an article talking about how the guy allegedly made his choice of targets. Smaller town (maybe Lost can fill us in on the locale) and he picked the two with the largest turnouts for prayer at that time. Friday mid day I believe. Check that, now there are reports he may have been planning to hit three Mosques.

Every Mosque in our city opened their doors for people to visit regardless of belief or non belief. It was such a classy move and I regret not stopping by one to offer respect. I actually felt weird about being a larger, blonde haired Christian doing that sort of thing.

I'm happy the fuckstick is getting minimal press.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (03-21-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts
    Haven't read anything. It wouldn't make it through to the mainstream media anyhow. The cognitive dissonance would make the internet explode.

18-Year-Old Arrested In New Zealand For Sharing Terrorist's Facebook Video