Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: At least 49 dead in 'terrorist' shootings at 2 New Zealand mosques, 4 nabbed, IEDs found

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    You don't have to register all guns?

Ok, that's where the unusually high stat of unregistered weapons comes from that I read. It was in the 90's %-wise and I thought it had to be wrong.
    No, there is no gun registration in the USA. At least not on the federal level. I think California, NY, or NJ might be doing it on the state level, but then again, I really don't know, as I don't live in any of those Commie nanny states and it doesn't concern me a whole lot.

They may have just been contrasting the US with other countries that do require registration, which fuck that, it's our birth right and blah blah blah, stuff I posted thousands of times before, government has no right, yadda yadda yadda...

Yeah.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-22-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    No, there is no gun registration in the USA. At least not on the federal level. I think California, NY, or NJ might be doing it on the state level, but then again, I really don't know, as I don't live in any of those Commie nanny states and it doesn't concern me a whole lot.

They may have just been contrasting the US with other countries that do require registration, which fuck that, it's our birth right and blah blah blah, stuff I posted thousands of times before, government has no right, yadda yadda yadda...

Yeah.
    Mind blown, thanks I didn't know that.

No the site was being neutral in it's presentation of stats, not trying to put the US on a pedestal over and above the rest of the countries or making it the one example to compare all others against. In some cases other countries got the 'bad' stat so to speak and I found the writer was even handed in the tone of the article. It was more a - Here's a world view on gun ownership and how different countries sit based on their individual rules.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,888 Posts
    Nope actually, none of mine are registered. Not really by intent or anything. Just the way it worked out. I've inherited a couple, and been gifted others. They are all oldish. Only semi auto I currently have is a .40cal pistol. Everything else is bolt or pump action and one single shot .410

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinD For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-22-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    Nope actually, none of mine are registered. Not really by intent or anything. Just the way it worked out. I've inherited a couple, and been gifted others. They are all oldish. Only semi auto I currently have is a .40cal pistol. Everything else is bokt, or pump action and one single shot .410
    So how does the government know what you own? For example you want to buy a new handgun. Go to the store, pick one and then you have a background check done based on your picture ID I would suppose, wait whatever waiting time the state demands, then you go back a second time to pick it up? Is that close to actual?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

KevinD (03-22-2019)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,103 Times in 59,908 Posts
    So how does the government know what you own? For example you want to buy a new handgun. Go to the store, pick one and then you have a background check done based on your picture ID I would suppose, wait whatever waiting time the state demands, then you go back a second time to pick it up? Is that close to actual?
    Most states do an instant background check, takes 10 minutes give or take. You can take the gun home with you that day unless the state you live in, like California for example, has a waiting period. I believe California is either a 10 or 14 day waiting period.

The federal government does not track who owns what.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (03-22-2019), Hal-9000 (03-22-2019), KevinD (03-22-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,923 Times in 6,613 Posts

Honestly this isn't 100% accurate but its actually pretty close.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Most states do an instant background check, takes 10 minutes give or take. You can take the gun home with you that day unless the state you live in, like California for example, has a waiting period. I believe California is either a 10 or 14 day waiting period.

The federal government does not track who owns what.
    Isn't that a kid in the candy store scenario? Wait, belay that question!

Don't want this to go south. (go south? I'm on fire today)

Thanks for the info. I thought the process was a little more controlled in terms of serial numbers/registering weapons. It does explain a lot and I don't mean that in a pissy way. Once you pass the initial background check the user has the freedom to do whatever they want without the specter of the government knowing that 9mm was registered to Lance Smith. I suppose the serial number for it would be on the bill of sale? Just in case the weapon was connected to a crime?

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. I thought the process was a little more controlled in terms of serial numbers/registering weapons. It does explain a lot and I don't mean that in a pissy way. Once you pass the initial background check the user has the freedom to whatever they want without the specter of the government knowing that 9mm was registered to Lance Smith. I suppose the serial number for it would be on the bill of sale? Just in case the weapon was connected to a crime?
    If you live in a state like mine (Texas) where you can get a license to carry in public you forgo all the waiting periods and backgrounds checks.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. I thought the process was a little more controlled in terms of serial numbers/registering weapons. It does explain a lot and I don't mean that in a pissy way. Once you pass the initial background check the user has the freedom to do whatever they want without the specter of the government knowing that 9mm was registered to Lance Smith. I suppose the serial number for it would be on the bill of sale? Just in case the weapon was connected to a crime?
    Usually you pick out the gun before the background check, then you fill out the required paperwork, and then the clerk calls in for the background check, which usually is maintained by the FBI I believe. And I believe that the store owner is required to keep a list of each weapon sold and the serial number of the weapon, but it isn't listed as to who purchased it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-22-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fricnjay View Post
    If you live in a state like mine (Texas) where you can get a license to carry in public you forgo all the waiting periods and backgrounds checks.

Every single state requires an NICS background check when buying a gun from a licensed dealer. There is no way around that, it's federal law.

EDIT: unless you have a license in Texas where you have to keep renewing it to see if you are now prohibited from buying a gun, because that status is always subject to change if you break certain laws.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Usually you pick out the gun before the background check, then you fill out the required paperwork, and then the clerk calls in for the background check, which usually is maintained by the FBI I believe. And I believe that the store owner is required to keep a list of each weapon sold and the serial number of the weapon, but it isn't listed as to who purchased it.
    So there's no database connection between you and the new weapon.

Remembering the mob movies where guys do hits in broad daylight and then drop the guns at the site. I used to think watching - Well someone has gotta own that gun at one point! Trace it!

Didn't realize the process was like that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks

Every single state requires an NICS background check when buying a gun from a licensed dealer. There is no way around that, it's federal law.
    Giffords Law Center

"Federal law does not require dealers to conduct a background check if a firearm purchaser presents a state permit to purchase or possess firearms that meets certain conditions. As a result, handgun license holders in Texas are exempt from the federal background check requirement when purchasing a handgun."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to fricnjay For This Useful Post:

KevinD (03-22-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So there's no database connection between you and the new weapon.

Remembering the mob movies where guys do hits in broad daylight and then drop the guns at the site. I used to think watching - Well someone has gotta own that gun at one point! Trace it!

Didn't realize the process was like that.
    That is correct, unless you live in a city or state where it's required to have that particular firearm registered to you. There si zero federal law requiring registration.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-22-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That is correct, unless you live in a city or state where it's required to have that particular firearm registered to you. There si zero federal law requiring registration.
    Do you think if they attached more of an ownership piece to the process, as in - Lance Smith bought this 9mm today, paid 500 dollars, serial number blah blah, that could restrict the desire to use the gun being fired during muggings, parking lot disputes etc, because the owner could be more easily traced if someone was shot with that weapon?

I know you guys are responsible owners but it seems like a loose process.