Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: At least 49 dead in 'terrorist' shootings at 2 New Zealand mosques, 4 nabbed, IEDs found

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    .. The law is even such that when you transport a registered firearm you must go straight to the range and home, can't even leave it in your vehicle unattended to grab a slurpee ...
    dude...Can't even leave my weapon unattended in a baby's crib

Thanks for the info Now did you see my post in the toaster thread? No, you should check it out

*I remember the long gun reform...living in Conservative country like I do.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts

They fucking released that animal?!?!? Are you fucking kidding me?!?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-23-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post

What!? I can't find it online, link?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    From Hal's post on the previous page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Tim_McLean

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks

I think it was six years psych treatment and then yes, halfway house and then he's on his own now

In case any of you are confusing me with a totally sympathetic liberal type who believes in counseling and love for all...not a chance. This person is wired wrong and never will be wired right.

His defenders say that he needed medication when the event happened. Fuck that. Even if that's the case (where medication can temper his urges) what happens next time he's off his meds???

One of the few news stories that made me not proud to be a Canadian. We give first degree killers life up here, our justice system isn't unusually lenient for serious crimes.

I took a good look at that guy's picture because if I'm going to work in the Walmart shipping department I want to know who my coworkers are.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    If he declared insanity down here, if they accepted the plea, his ass would've been in a mental institution until the day the fucker died.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-23-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    From Hal's post on the previous page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Tim_McLean
    Oh sorry I thought you were talking Mosque guy.

Yes... a disturbing end to a disturbing story.

It's an interesting case I guess. Guy was a smart, computer scientist who had a major mental break (clearly). I suppose we're supposed to trust in the years of medical evaluation and tests physicians and health professionals did while in a high risk mental health hospital to conclude that he was mentally well and stable now... but it just doesn't seem right to let someone out in the public ever again who is capable of this. I wish the physicians were forced to make their reports public. I'd like to know how many meds this guy is on still.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-23-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    If he declared insanity down here, if they accepted the plea, his ass would've been in a mental institution until the day the fucker died.
    Yes it wasn't only a stabbing. He dissected the guy and ate/played/pocketed the various body parts. He displayed the severed head to passengers sitting outside while he was trapped on the bus.

Sorry to people like Lost who are in the industry, but no amount of counseling/drugs/jail time will reform people who cross that line.

If you're curious, read any book by John Douglas or Robert Ressler and discover their opinions on how jail time and/or counseling impacts killers of that nature. Spoiler alert, it doesn't.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oh sorry I thought you were talking Mosque guy.

Yes... a disturbing end to a disturbing story.

It's an interesting case I guess. Guy was a smart, computer scientist who had a major mental break (clearly). I suppose we're supposed to trust in the years of medical evaluation and tests physicians and health professionals did while in a high risk mental health hospital to conclude that he was mentally well and stable now... but it just doesn't seem right to let someone out in the public ever again who is capable of this. I wish the physicians were forced to make their reports public. I'd like to know how many meds this guy is on still.
    Sure and I see it as the bookend effect. The guy was smart and a contributing member to society up until a certain point. He has his 'break' and now after some treatment he is deemed well enough to be alone now. Next break is scheduled to appear when?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Perhaps, but it's not always the case even in the US. Insanity is a legitimate legal defense, even if it's rarely used and accepted. I know the girl in that Slender Man case was declared not guilty because of it. She got something like 25 years in a mental institution but it's up to psych evaluation after that. Just looked it up now and she could be out in as few as three years.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Okay here's a topic closer to subject matter.

I read the NZ shooter was working part time as a personal trainer in a small town. And then I read how widely traveled the guy was in the months leading up to the shooting. He visited a few countries worldwide.

May not be important but how does a guy like that finance all of the travel not to mention fancy riot gear, what looked like a new vehicle, bunch of new weapons and his kit materials for his potential bombs he allegedly had onboard. Does anyone think he may have had a sponsor? Like a white nationalist type sponsor?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Sure and I see it as the bookend effect. The guy was smart and a contributing member to society up until a certain point. He has his 'break' and now after some treatment he is deemed well enough to be alone now. Next break is scheduled to appear when?
    Yep, and that's how the public and the poor guy's family is always going to look at it. There's an extremely heavy emotional side and sense of injustice here that we as members of the public can't shake because of how hideous the crime was. That said, I'd love to hear from his doctors. It's safe to say that they had some very smart and educated people working with him. I certainly don't celebrate them for getting him released, I just want to understand better, whether they sleep at night knowing he's out there, or if they really do feel like he's safe in the public. It would be a fascinating book to read if they could write it (though I'm sure there is some red tape to his medical records )

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-23-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yep, and that's how the public and the poor guy's family is always going to look at it. There's an extremely heavy emotional side and sense of injustice here that we as members of the public can't shake because of how hideous the crime was. That said, I'd love to hear from his doctors. It's safe to say that they had some very smart and educated people working with him. I certainly don't celebrate them for getting him released, I just want to understand better, whether they sleep at night knowing he's out there, or if they really do feel like he's safe in the public. It would be a fascinating book to read if they could write it (though I'm sure there is some red tape to his medical records )
    True story real close to home. The sister of the guy who I used to buy weed from was killed by a mental health patient under her care. It happened in Grande Prairie a few years back and I can find the story link with some digging. She was a social worker/mental health counselor and her job involved being part of the process determining patient fitness to leave the facility. In a horrible case of irony, one of the patients who was deemed recovering and not a danger made an appointment with her, closed the door and strangled her His past was filled with violent acts, but I never found out what his original crimes were. This was my friend's older sister who was killed. Their family has never really recovered.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    True story real close to home. The sister of the guy who I used to buy weed from was killed by a mental health patient under her care. It happened in Grande Prairie a few years back and I can find the story link with some digging. She was a social worker/mental health counselor and her job involved being part of the process determining patient fitness to leave the facility. In a horrible case of irony, one of the patients who was deemed recovering and not a danger made an appointment with her, closed the door and strangled her His past was filled with violent acts, but I never found out what his original crimes were. This was my friend's older sister who was killed. Their family has never really recovered.
    That's incredibly sad.

I don't envy anyone working with mental health patients, the system sucks, the treatment doesn't always work, the stigma around the entire profession and the patients is bad. Some of my wife's friends from medical school are in their psychiatric residencies and I worry for them. There's a high suicide and burnout rate. They're now made to have monthly visits to psychiatrists themselves to try and help. It's also physically dangerous, they've all had chairs thrown at them, been spit on, grabbed, and get verbally abused daily. I couldn't do it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's incredibly sad.

I don't envy anyone working with mental health patients, the system sucks, the treatment doesn't always work, the stigma around the entire profession and the patients is bad. Some of my wife's friends from medical school are in their psychiatric residencies and I worry for them. There's a high suicide and burnout rate. They're now made to have monthly visits to psychiatrists themselves to try and help. It's also physically dangerous, they've all had chairs thrown at them, been spit on, grabbed, and get verbally abused daily. I couldn't do it.
    Yeah man when I visit my Mom I immerse myself in a room with 30 other dementia patients. She's on floor seven. Floor eight is for violent patients and unfortunately most dementia patients develop a form of anger or violent physical tendencies. I've watched patients make the progression and get moved in the four years or so I've been going.

And I hate to say it, but I do watch every male patient closely on my Mom's floor. If they do something out of line I'll do whatever I think is necessary to stop it.