vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

SJW If "Guys" Is Problematic, "Ya'll" Is Problematic Too

by Katie Herzog - The Stranger

Broke: Folks. Woke: Folx

I got an interesting email from a professor at the University of Washington this week about something that happened during a job search in his department. “A woman who I would like to see hired to help me teach Intro might not be hired because she said ‘you guys’ in a room that had both men and women,” his email read. “The preferred terms are either ‘ya’ll’ or ‘folks.’”

What’s so problematic about “guys”? Apparently, it's sexist. As Vox noted in a 2015 piece about the term, Alice Walker has said it represents a "fear of being feminine." On this, I disagree. “Guys” may have started out referring to a group of males, but today, the plural of "guy" doesn’t mean "men," it means, “more than one human." If you are in need of a gender-neutral term, “guys” is a pretty decent one. The dictionary even defines it as “people of either sex.”

In the UW department where the professor who emailed me teaches, internal guidelines provided to faculty and staff advise employees to “try replacing ‘you guys’ with ‘folks,’ ‘everyone,’ or ‘ya’ll.’" It also advises personnel to "try saying ‘all genders’ instead of ‘men and women.’” This nod to inclusively is, I am sure, welcome to many, especially nonbinary people who don’t identify as either women or men. But I do find it rather ironic that the righteous people in, say, Seattle, think replacing the word “guys” with the word “ya'll” is somehow less problematic. If “guys” is verboten, how is co-opting the language and culture of the South any better?

Now, I’m not generally one to get mad about cultural appropriation. Culture, like DNA, is designed to spread, and I tend to think that multiculturalism benefits everyone. That said, I do understand why it's annoying when those unconnected to a culture adopt parts of it and turn a profit, often without any sort of credit for the very people who originated the thing being appropriated. According to some, this tends to happen with things where the originators were penalized for doing it in the first place. The black musician and writer Gabriella Evangeline, for example, wrote about going to get her hair braided and discovering that the braider was a white women who had box braids herself: "Not only was I livid about wasting my money on terrible braids, I was also deeply hurt that she could take this hairstyle and wear it so shamelessly even though black women were punished for it regularly if they did the same thing." And the word "y'all" is one that, historically, people have been penalized with using. Even in the South, it's often not considered "proper English." I'm from North Carolina, and kids in my school who said "y'all" were constantly being corrected, even though it was as common in daily speech as chewing tobacco—and back then everyone dipped.

Although historians still don’t know if the word "y'all" originated in the South or was imported from slaves and/or Scots-Irish immigrants, it first appeared in text, according to the The English Dialect Heritage of the Southern United States, in 1824. Over the decades, it's spread outward, and while I think there's very little wrong with the migration of language, if you need more evidence that academics in the Pacific Northwest using this word is, indeed, an example of cultural appropriation, take this: The good people at UW can't even spell the word correctly. The word is “y’all,” as in “you all,” and the apostrophe always goes after the y. If you ask me, putting it anywhere else should negate one’s right to use it.

Language evolves. This is hardly a secret. I grew up saying “cool” and “radical” and “awesome”; today’s teens call everything “gucci" for some reason. But does encouraging, or, in some cases, forcing, the use of more “inclusive” language really do much of anything? Personally, I doubt it. We could, for instance, replace the word “women” with the thoroughly unpronounceable term “womxn” (and plenty of people are trying) but will this really make life better for women or, for that matter, for womxn? And while policing other peoples’ language might be a long and storied tradition, if, as the UW professor said, a qualified female job candidate won’t get a job because she used the wrong word, how is that inclusive for anyone? Regardless, if UW faculty are going to push the adoption of "y'all," the least they could do is learn how to spell it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    I guess I'm problematic too, because I say both words all the time.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    She should have said "alright ya cunts"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    we say yous down under - and smack down anyone who disagrees

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Oh, you guys... y'all crack me up.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    “A woman who I would like to see hired to help me teach Intro might not be hired because she said ‘you guys’ in a room that had both men and women,” his email read.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Y'all is a bunch of guys!

*tucks penis*

No we isn't!

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    My Mom used to hate the term guys. Most women I know are fine with it and use it themselves.