Thread: Body modification enthusiast has part of ear removed in controversial procedure

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Attention Whore Body modification enthusiast has part of ear removed in controversial procedure

FOX News Staff

“Unfortunately, that is ear-reversable.”

This man’s ears must be burning after photos of his controversial conch removal surgery went viral.

Charles Bentley, a body modification enthusiast, reportedly traveled from Australia to Stockholm, Sweden, to have his inner ear surgically removed.

The removal, performed by piercer and modification practitioner Sonchai Maiber at Calm Body Modification studios, involves cutting out the client’s inner ear – or conch – and then stitching it up to reveal a large hole in the middle of the ear.

Maiber, who performs other extreme modifications like this for his clients, posted pictures of the removal immediately after surgery.

“To get some facts straight note that this procedure doesn’t make you deaf,” Maiber wrote on Facebook, next to photos of the freshly stitched up ears. “It might impair your ability to hear the direction of sound for the first week or two until your mind has adjusted to your new ears. Hearing from behind will in fact improve. Our ears don’t ‘catch’ sound as it did eons of years ago when our ears were bigger hence why we have to create a bigger ‘ear’ by cupping our hand around our ear to hear better.”

However, after posting the photos across his different social media accounts, Maiber was almost immediately challenged on his hearing “facts.”

“Just as a concerned audiologist……..literally every comment of yours regarding his hearing is WRONG. All of it. Completely incorrect,” one wrote on the Facebook photo.

“Audiologist here. You may hear better from behind but you will have far more difficulty knowing whether a sound is in fact behind or in front of you. Plus a bunch of other stuff you said is wrong but that’s a big one…” another person wrote.

“I'm not an audiologist but I perform hearing screens on babies and we can't even do our screens if part of the outer ear (concha, pinna, literally any of it) is even slightly deformed. Like....those parts are important!!” another commented.

Toronto audiologist Maryam Ghaderi said to CTVNews.ca of the viral pictures, “If you have that part missing, I would guess a bit of your hearing would be affected—probably your sense of localizing sound. To say how much in terms of a percentage of hearing loss is hard to say.”

The photos gathered over 37K comments and 16K shares on Facebook alone as of Wednesday afternoon – with the majority slamming the procedure as needless and dangerous, as well as making jokes at Bentley’s expense.

“Ah, I see you’ve ordered the attention seeking package, how may I guide your unemployment experience today?” one wrote.

“For real, as a deaf person, can I just say f--- you?” another commented.

“You want to catch your ear on a branch? This is how you catch your ear on a branch,” another quipped.

“Unfortunately, that is ear-reversable,” one person joked.

“He hasnt deleted any of the negative comments because he cant hear us. Maybe we should tell them from behind,” another wrote.

It is not clear how many conch removals Maiber has performed.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Eejit

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    You can hang him up by his ear now.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    I would be flinging, shooting, blow darting things at him all day long.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    what?

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    I hope Red doesn't think this looks cool

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I hope Red doesn't think this looks cool
    Red's not eligible for the procedure

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Red's not eligible for the procedure
    Maybe they can use the pieces they cut out to help Red?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-21-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Maybe they can use the pieces they cut out to help Red?
    You are a true humanitarian

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    “Audiologist here. You may hear better from behind but you will have far more difficulty knowing whether a sound is in fact behind or in front of you. Plus a bunch of other stuff you said is wrong but that’s a big one…” another person wrote.
    I watched a video online a few months back (tried to dig it up but couldn't find it), where a guy and his kid did an experiment on this. They put just a small amount silly putty in the kid's ear folds and then blindfolded him and walked around calling out to him to see if he could point to where the voice was coming from. With the folds in your ears impaired, you completely lose your sense of directional sound. He could no longer correctly identify which direction sound was coming from, which he could do easily before putting putty in the ear folds.

Obviously this is incredibly dumb, but this guy is actually going to have a real hearing impairment now.