#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Gotcha! Drinking Water Tax Proposed In California

CBS 13 Sacramento

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Gov. Gavin Newsom wants to charge California water customers up to $10 per month to help clean up contaminated water in low-income and rural areas, but he will face resistance from some legislative Democrats hesitant to impose new taxes.

The Democratic governor says up to 1 million California residents have some type of contaminated or unclean water coming through their taps that can cause health issues. He has called it “a moral disgrace and a medical emergency.”

“The fact that in California, in the fifth-largest economy, we have people who cannot drink their water, people who can’t even bathe in their water, there’s something absolutely wrong,” Democratic Assemblywoman Eloise Reyes said Wednesday during a hearing on Newsom’s plan.

The fee on water customers would affect households and businesses — an idea that lawmakers killed last session. Newsom wants to combine it with fees on animal farmers, dairies and fertilizer sellers to raise about $140 million per year.

A competing proposal by Democratic Sen. Anna Caballero would use money from the state’s multibillion-dollar surplus to create a trust fund to pay for water improvements.

Newsom’s plan could be difficult to pass because tax and fee increases require support from two-thirds of lawmakers.

Democrats hold 75 percent of the legislative seats, but some who represent moderate or agricultural districts may balk at the proposal, particularly after voters recalled a Democratic senator last year after he voted to raise the gas tax. Caballero, for example, represents an agricultural district previously held by a Republican.

There was broad agreement at Wednesday’s hearing that the lack of access to clean water for so many is a stain on the state, but lawmakers acknowledged a political solution has been elusive.

“I would be foolish, based on the history of this issue, to make promises about where we’re going to end up at the end of this cycle,” said Assemblyman Richard Bloom, chairman of the budget subcommittee. “But I will commit to doing my damnedest to bring this to a conclusion.”

Newsom’s plan starting next year would charge water customers from 95 cents to $10 a month, based on the size of their water meter, with exceptions for people in poverty.

Animal farmers, dairies and fertilizer producers and handlers also would pay a fee because their operations contribute to nitrate in groundwater.

The money raised would help public water systems, including those that serve schools, treat contaminated water, improve long-term maintenance and test the water quality of domestic wells.

Dozens of residents from the Central Valley testified in support of the fee, saying it would be a small price to pay to ensure access to water that wouldn’t make them sick.

“We are the poorest families, and we are willing to pay the tax because we spend a lot more money than the tax buying water bottles for our families,” said Lucy Hernandez, a resident of Tulare County in the Central Valley.

Water districts broadly oppose the user tax, instead calling on lawmakers to pass Caballero’s plan. The nonpartisan Legislative Analyst’s Office said most people who would pay the fee would not directly benefit from it.

“We don’t think it makes sense to tax a resource that is essential to living,” said Cindy Tuck of the Association of California Water Agencies.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    You down with OPP. Yeah, you know me. - Gavin Newsom
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Man, they really don't want people to live there, do they?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Man, they really don't want people to live there, do they?
    100% of people who drink water will die, DGX.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So here's a question....what are the water utilities doing with all the money they are already taking in from the customers? Shouldn't they be using that to fix things? You know, since people are already paying them?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    100% of the people who don't drink water will die. You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    So here's a question....what are the water utilities doing with all the money they are already taking in from the customers? Shouldn't they be using that to fix things? You know, since people are already paying them?

This is no time for logic.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Is it even their water to begin with? Don't they steal it from Colorado?

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Is it even their water to begin with? Don't they steal it from Colorado?
    I actually just watched a documentary, it featured a couple of former lake resort towns in Cali that are now toxic mud pits because SF drained them dry to support their unsustainable population. Majority rules.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-21-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'd be all for gathering all the rain water that falls during hurricane season and sending it out west, especially during wildfires, but they have to pay for the transportation, and they have to filter and clean it their own damn selves.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    We jest but if someone could figure a way to collect and shunt all of the snow from across the country and send it south to Cali...

I'm envisioning large fiberglass tubing systems like at waterparks

regards,
    AOC-9000

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    There is already talks of Gavin getting recalled. This water tax is not supported by the majority. He has put a ban on death penalty, surprisingly that is also not supported by the majority. There was a couple other big issues and only San Fran (where he was mayor) does he sit favorably in the polls. All over the rest of CA people arent happy on both sides of the fence. And a big surprise is he has fallen out of favor with the Latino and black voters

Hopefully this is a wake up call and people start voting out all the people supporting him in their districts.....but who am I kidding, they dont like whats happening so they will vote for someone even worse

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    I'd be all for gathering all the rain water that falls during hurricane season and sending it out west, especially during wildfires, but they have to pay for the transportation, and they have to filter and clean it their own damn selves.
    Also its illegal to collect your own rainwater out here

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    It used to be the same way here in Colorado up until a couple of years ago.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    What? We have about a million ranchers and farmers up here who would pull rifles if someone tried to tell them that