Thread: What's a diverging diamond interchange?

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts

What's a diverging diamond interchange?

I've never seen anything like this, I thought it was interesting.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-22-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,244 Times in 4,356 Posts
    We just got one exactly like that a couple miles from my house.. What fucking clusterfuck... So instead of rush hour traffic having to make a left turn to get on the highway and wait forever they divert the road so you can make the "east right". But there's so many cars it's doesn't matter. So now there's a jam making a right. Plus the one we have has the most screwed up light timing, I avoid it whenever possible!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    We got a traffic circle put in at a former normal intersection and I have problems with that **^%@ thing

This is a whole new level of wtf.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    I've run across those several times while traveling cross country.
    Every time I see one I wonder why the fuck I'm crossing through traffic twice on a bridge.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    I can see the benefit of not having to stop entering exiting the highway but I also can see that the traffic lights on the cross traffic would still cause backups during busy hours. During light, moderate times I assume it helps.

I could definitely see people trying to turn right at the light directly into oncoming traffic.
    Last edited by Pony; 03-22-2019 at 09:32 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Yeah, the example he gave of the semi exiting the freeway and turning right at the end of the ramp is not affected in the least but he made it sound like lives were saved.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I've run across those several times while traveling cross country.
    Every time I see one I wonder why the fuck I'm crossing through traffic twice on a bridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I can see the benefit of not having to stop entering exiting the highway but I also can see that the traffic lights on the cross traffic would still cause backups during busy hours. During light, moderate times I assume it helps.

I could definitely see people trying to turn right at the light directly into oncoming traffic.
    My traffic circle is apparently a stock, normal set up. Yet the signs are so vague ( circle with a little arrow saying ___ st north ) Half of it goes up on this raised bridge, then back down again. And it caused this weird merge situation with the cross street, which is a huge artery through our city.

eg the old situation was a simple cross street intersection. 37 street ran north south, intersected with Glenmore Trail which ran west east.

I'm on the top part of the effin thing looking for some sort of exit and the vague sign says - 37 street WEST with a little arrow. Hey wait, that street used to run north south

And it has about six natural merges without a lot of signage explaining who goes where, so you get numpties like me coming close to bumping people getting in or out of it.

Our old system there was a normal intersection that looked like this --> +, with a delayed turning light and it worked fine.