Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mueller report discussion thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I think they are foolish to continue this, but they will. And to their detriment in 2020, let alone all of our detriment.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (03-25-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    I think they are foolish to continue this, but they will. And to their detriment in 2020, let alone all of our detriment.
    Yea, they are gonna push for full transparency and it will come out that a ton of people on the left conspired to unseat an elected president. If they want names a bunch will come out and burn down the entire house. Be careful what you wish for.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-25-2019)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,098 Times in 59,908 Posts
    The left still isn't going to drop it though. They're going apeshit that there's no indictment against Trump. Rep. Degette from here in Colorado released a statement yesterday saying that the entire report needs to be released so the pubblic can 'make up their own minds' on it.

And all the far left media outlets are like this....

Bill Barr’s Weasel Words
    All the ways the attorney general is spinning the Mueller report to protect Trump.

That's from Slate

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

WATCH: Rachel Maddow Nearly Breaks Down In Tears Over Mueller Report

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    The left still isn't going to drop it though. They're going apeshit that there's no indictment against Trump. Rep. Degette from here in Colorado released a statement yesterday saying that the entire report needs to be released so the pubblic can 'make up their own minds' on it.

Bill Barr’s Weasel Words
    All the ways the attorney general is spinning the Mueller report to protect Trump.

That's from Slate
    But they haven't read the report. And all the demands for it's release tells me they didn't even read Barr's summary, given that he specifically stated he would release the full report.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Conspiracy WATCH: MSNBC Hosts Suspect Mueller Has Been Compromised, Report Shows 'Seeds Of A Cover Up'

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    The left still isn't going to drop it though. They're going apeshit that there's no indictment against Trump. Sen. Degette from here in Colorado released a statement yesterday saying that the entire report needs to be released so the pubblic can 'make up their own minds' on it.

Bill Barr’s Weasel Words

That's from Slate
    From the last paragraph:"Mueller says his report “does not exonerate” Trump.... And it doesn’t show that Trump is innocent of collusion or obstruction. It shows that collusion and obstruction were defined to exclude what he did."

I think you're either guilt of betraying your country or not. You're either a patriot or not. It should be very clear. I thought he might be guilty was when he fired Comney and in the aftermath with all the tweeting - but then I realised that's just Trump.

I try and read the fine print of accounts that he might still be 'guilty' of 'something', but they are nearly impossible to understand - which makes me think it's 'waffle'. What baffles me the most is since when did not finding evidence of non-guilt mean guilt. Our legal system(s) don't work like that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    From the last paragraph:"Mueller says his report “does not exonerate” Trump.... And it doesn’t show that Trump is innocent of collusion or obstruction. It shows that collusion and obstruction were defined to exclude what he did."

I think you're either guilt of betraying your country or not. You're either a patriot or not. It should be very clear. I thought he might be guilty was when he fired Comney and in the aftermath with all the tweeting - but then I realised that's just Trump.

I try and read the fine print of accounts that he might still be 'guilty' of 'something', but they are nearly impossible to understand - which makes me think it's 'waffle'. What baffles me the most is since when did not finding evidence of non-guilt mean guilt. Our legal system(s) don't work like that.
    My attempt to simplify.

The report concluded their was no collusion with Russia to interfere with the 2016 election, which was the point of the inquiry.

Mueller decided that there is evidence of obstruction but not sufficient for him to prosecute. That sends the issue to the Attorney General, who, after consultation, also decided there was insufficient evidence for prosecution. This was partially based on the fact that there was no underlying crime to obstruct, which is a prerequisite to a conviction.

Edit: Not to mention that the trial would never happen because it is constitutionally questionable if a sitting President could be prosecuted at all. The ONLY reason they want the indictment is to use it to force impeachment proceedings. The Speaker of the House has made it clear that impeachment will not happen unless there is something so egregious it cannot be ignored. There is not.
    Last edited by RBP; 03-25-2019 at 12:14 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Pony (03-25-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    This is deeply frustrating and a waste of our nation's focus.
    It is time to move on to pressing issues facing the country.

-MoveOn.org founders, 1998

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts

"Does not exonerate" does not imply that it implicates Trump. Muellers' words indicate that he could not determine definitively either way whether or not Trump engaged in obstruction to the point where it would constitute a federal crime. That means that it's a waste of time to charge him with a federal crime because there would likely be no way that they can prove the accusation beyond the shadow of a reasonable doubt. That implies "not guilty". "Not guilty" is not the same as "innocent", but "not guilty" is the legal standard the US law prescribes to be exonerated of a charge. Similarly for collusion. It cannot be proven. That's the basis for criminal cases in the US, whether or not guilt of a charge can be proven beyond the shadow of a reasonable doubt. Even if there's a smidgen of reasonable doubt, he would be acquitted of any and all charges brought against him. It would a waste of time and taxpayers' dollars. The evidence is not there to justify proceeding with a criminal case. That's how a prosecutor thinks.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 03-25-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-25-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    My attempt to simplify.

The report concluded their was no collusion with Russia to interfere with the 2016 election, which was the point of the inquiry.

Mueller decided that there is evidence of obstruction but not sufficient for him to prosecute. That sends the issue to the Attorney General, who, after consultation, also decided there was insufficient evidence for prosecution. This was partially based on the fact that there was no underlying crime to obstruct, which is a prerequisite to a conviction.

Edit: Not to mention that the trial would never happen because it is constitutionally questionable if a sitting President could be prosecuted at all. The ONLY reason they want the indictment is to use it to force impeachment proceedings. The Speaker of the House has made it clear that impeachment will not happen unless there is something so egregious it cannot be ignored. There is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    "Does not exonerate" does not imply that it implicates Trump. Muellers' words indicate that he could not determine definitively either way whether or not Trump engaged in obstruction to the point where it would constitute a federal crime. That means that it's a waste of time to charge him with a federal crime because there would likely be no way that they can prove the accusation beyond the shadow of a reasonable doubt. That implies "not guilty". "Not guilty" is not the same as "innocent", but "not guilty" is the legal standard the US law prescribes to be exonerated of a charge. Similarly for collusion. It cannot be proven. That's the basis for criminal cases in the US, whether or not guilt of a charge can be proven beyond the shadow of a reasonable doubt. Even if there's a smidgen of reasonable doubt, he would be acquitted of any and all charges brought against him. It would a waste of time and taxpayers' dollars. The evidence is not there to justify proceeding with a criminal case. That's how a prosecutor thinks.
    Thanks. Funny how a couple of dudes on the internet can explain this better

Ok, that kind of makes more sense. I think what alarms me and makes me the most uncomfortable about Trump is, quite frankly, abuse of his position and nepotism. I think what waters down this aspect is that he throws his weight about across the board, not in particular with the Russia investigation( he's kinda neurotic and can't keep his mouth shut)

Re. the sacking of Comney, who knows...I think Comney was against Trump not just personally but politically. Not enough room for the both of them and it would have ripped the nation apart. Does the President have to justify it? Yes/No/Maybe. As long as he has other reasons obstruction can never be proven imo.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Pony (03-25-2019), RBP (03-25-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Or put another way it's as difficult/easy to prove that Comney was after Trump as much as Trump was after Comney. No one side can have their cake and eat it too

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    This is deeply frustrating and a waste of our nation's focus.
    It is time to move on to pressing issues facing the country.

-MoveOn.org founders, 1998

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's what they said about the investigation of Bill Clinton.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Or put another way it's as difficult/easy to prove that Comney was after Trump as much as Trump was after Comney. No one side can have their cake and eat it too
    He had plenty of reasons to fire Comey that had nothing to do with obstruction. His botched handling of the Clinton investigation, Obvious bias, Constant leaks to the media, Lying.
    The whole thing is a can of worms.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (03-25-2019), RBP (03-25-2019)