Thread: Jordan Peele: ‘I Don’t See Myself Casting A White Dude As The Lead’ In My Films

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,091 Times in 59,905 Posts

Not Racist Jordan Peele: ‘I Don’t See Myself Casting A White Dude As The Lead’ In My Films

By Paul Bois - The Daily Wire

This just in: a top Hollywood director said that he does not see himself casting an actor of a certain race as the lead in one of his films.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, fresh off the box-office success of the horror movie "Us," director Jordan Peele said he does not see himself casting a "white dude" as the lead in one of his future films.

"I don’t see myself casting a white dude as the lead in my movie," Peele said during an appearance at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre in Hollywood. "Not that I don't like white dudes. But I've seen that movie."

THR reports that Peele's comments "drew loud applause and shouts of agreement."

The "Get Out" director characterized his stance as a sort of renaissance for representation in Hollywood.

"It really is one of the best greatest pieces of this story is feeling like we are in this time — a renaissance has happened and proven the myths about representation in the industry are false," he said.

Not everything Peele said focused on racial politics or social justice. In fact, much of it focused on his transition into filmmaking and how an artist must silence their ego or risk their own peril.

"Directing for me is about hiring the right people, listening to them and helping them do the best job possible," he said, adding that he learned to shelve his ego.

"You have to shelve it," he said. "You have to check it constantly. It’s so easy for it to come out and rear its ugly head. "The ego is deceptive and it will screw you up."

Peele's "Us" took in a whopping total of $88 million at the box-office over the weekend, the second largest opening for an original live-action film. His previous film, "Get Out," broke records by pulling $250 million on a budget of just $5 million. Speaking at Upright Citizens Brigade, Peele said he initially doubted "Get Out" would be a success but relished in the challenge of making it a success.

"Every two weeks I'd go, 'What the f**k am I doing? I'm writing a movie where a black man is victimized and all the white people are evil and I'm trying to get the audience to have fun,'" he recalled. "But if you could make that fun...that's what brought me back."

"Us" tells the story of an affluent black American family facing off against violent doppelgangers of themselves while visiting their vacation home. Unlike "Get Out," Peele has said in interviews that the film was not an exploration of race but rather that human beings are their own worst enemies.

"Very important for me was to have a black family at the center of a horror film," Peele said at a screening back in December. "But it's also important to note, unlike Get Out, Us is not about race. It is instead about something that I feel has become an undeniable truth. And that is the simple fact that we are our own worst enemies."

"I dedicated a lot of myself to create a new horror mythology and a new monster," Peele said. "I think that monsters and stories about monsters are one of our best ways of getting at deeper truths and facing our fears as a society."

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    I don't see myself watching your works. Movies or TV. Have a nice day.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-27-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I had great hopes for this guy.. bat alas, another asshole with a racist hangup..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-27-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    I don't see myself watching your works. Movies or TV. Have a nice day.
    Damn, and he's the one doing the new Twilight Zone series on CBS All Access.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Damn, and he's the one doing the new Twilight Zone series on CBS All Access.
    Don't expect to see any white protagonists in it.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    If a white director made the equal statement about blacks his entire career would be destroyed.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    That's his prerogative. He's grown up watching white people saturate all aspects of TV and movies and he wants to see something closer to home, and now is in the position to do it.

He wants to Spike Lee it up, fill your boots man.

But like rap, if the movies don't speak to a certain demographic he's going to have limited viewership.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I was very excited to see his horror movie and thought it was cool that it focused around black people.. Not now. I see it for what it really is.. A movie produced by a racist for black people that has been promoted in the 'all inclusive' mainstream media..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (03-27-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So I'm a little torn on this after reading Jordans quote in its entirety versus the cherry picked portion put forth in the headline..

"I don’t see myself casting a white dude as the lead in my movie,not that I don't like white dudes. But I've seen that movie."

I don't think this is unreasonable.. I too have "seen that movie"... Many times over..

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    White music producer: "I don’t see myself signing a black dude as a rap or R&B artist, not that I don't like black dudes. But I've heard that song."

So that's okay then?

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    White music producer: "I don’t see myself signing a black dude as a rap or R&B artist, not that I don't like black dudes. But I've heard that song."

So that's okay then?
    No.. There's definitely a double standard when it comes to opening your mouth.. I think he would have been just fine if he had not verbalized his thoughts.. I dont think they were malicious.. I dont think Martin Scorsese ever casted a black guy for his leads.. But he was also never asked the question about it.. probably? Am I making any sense here?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    No.. There's definitely a double standard when it comes to opening your mouth.. I think he would have been just fine if he had not verbalized his thoughts.. I dont think they were malicious.. I dont think Martin Scorsese ever casted a black guy for his leads.. But he was also never asked the question about it.. probably? Am I making any sense here?
    You don't think he's got underlying racism about him?

"Very important for me was to have a black family at the center of a horror film," Peele said at a screening back in December.

Why was that very important to him? Oh, that's right, it's because he's black. So that kind of takes a bit away from another statement he made:

"Directing for me is about hiring the right people, listening to them and helping them do the best job possible," he said, adding that he learned to shelve his ego.

Hiring the right people (unless they're white) is basically what he meant to say. If a white person came even close to hinting at what this guy said, they'd run him out of Hollywood.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You don't think he's got underlying racism about him?

"Very important for me was to have a black family at the center of a horror film," Peele said at a screening back in December.

Why was that very important to him? Oh, that's right, it's because he's black. So that kind of takes a bit away from another statement he made:

Hiring the right people (unless they're white) is basically what he meant to say. If a white person came even close to hinting at what this guy said, they'd run him out of Hollywood.
    I know.. I'm just trying to spin it in a positive way and empathize..

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    I know.. I'm just trying to spin it in a positive way and empathize..

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I do have a line you know.. My generosity does have limits