Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    If I may add to the thread...

James Taylor has a bunch of stuff on YouTube that really opened my eyes. I've been playing for years and to hear him give what's essentially master classes - even down to the nitty gritty on nails and this one on how he tunes his guitar is wonderful. ( It's a little different than the prescribed way )

If you like this one, go out and watch 'em all...

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noilly Pratt For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (04-23-2015), FBD (04-26-2016)

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt View Post
    If I may add to the thread...

James Taylor has a bunch of stuff on YouTube that really opened my eyes. I've been playing for years and to hear him give what's essentially master classes - even down to the nitty gritty on nails and this one on how he tunes his guitar is wonderful. ( It's a little different than the prescribed way )

If you like this one, go out and watch 'em all...
    That's one reason I was considering changing out the bridge on that old guild my dad gave me when I was in second grade - with a straight bar bridge, you have no way to adjust the intonation on the guitar, you just have to hope its well made. Also a lot of what he's talking about with the stepped detune is resolved by an accurately balanced truss rod. the more bowed the truss is, the sharper your notes will be. Intonation winds up being significant especially as you explore alternate tunings - a straight bar bridge, forget it, detune and the % of your notes that are accurate decreases, more significantly the more away from E std you get.

I've had to set up sooo many instruments over the years...between my best friend and I, 3 acoustics, 2 classical, 8 or 10 electrics, 5 or 6 basses, and being in new england means the wood is moving like a mofo every change of seasons, so for the core group of instruments that I keep in constant setup-tune, I'm doing them often enough that I wound up assuming all instrument tech duties since my process is nailed down. Last string change I did I had it all done truss adjustment included in like 7 minutes, with that little snark tuner clipped to the head. (when people record, they're rechecking tune every song or two, so an abundance of tuners are present also.)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FBD For This Useful Post:

Noilly Pratt (04-24-2015)