Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Military Coup unfolding in Turkey

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,773 Times in 4,012 Posts

News Military Coup unfolding in Turkey

An army group in Turkey says it has taken control of the country, with bridges closed in Istanbul and aircraft flying low over Ankara.

PM Binali Yildirim earlier denounced an "illegal action" by a military "group", stressing it was not a coup. He said that the government remained in charge.

Traffic has been stopped from crossing both the Bosphorus and Fatih Sultan Mehmet bridges in Istanbul.

There are reports of gunshots in the capital Ankara.

Gunfire was also heard outside Istanbul police HQ and tanks are said to be stationed outside Istanbul airport. All flights are cancelled.

CNN Turk reported that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was "safe" but did not elaborate.

A statement from the military group read out on NTV television said: "The power in the country has been seized in its entirety." Who represents the group remains uncertain.

But Mr Yildirim told NTV by telephone: "We are working on the possibility of an attempt. We will not allow this attempt.

"Those who are in this illegal act will pay the highest price," he added, saying it would not be correct to describe the move as a "coup".

He said: "There was an illegal act by a group within the military that was acting out of the chain of military command. Our people should know that we will not allow any activity that would harm democracy."

There are reports Turkey's top general has been taken hostage at the military HQ.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...TE6PPTHHc0dXCA

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Holy shit this is big news

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    US Military bases there are at Force Protection Condition Delta, which is the highest level.

EDIT: Attack helicopter firing in Ankara

EDIT 2: Fox 10 live feed

EDIT 3: Mayor of Ankara urging residents to take to the streets
    https://twitter.com/dgatopoulos/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

EDIT 4: Explosion heard at Ankara policy headquarters (police said to be very loyal to government, may oppose military)

EDIT 5:
    President Erdoğan speaking via Facetime to local media in Turkey - says the uprising is a minority faction within the military that will be 'given the necessary response'
    https://twitter.com/CeylanWrites/sta...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Edit 6: Seb Gorka: "“The geostrategic importance of the coup in Turkey cannot, literally cannot, be overemphasized”
    https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/7...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Edit 7
    : My own update: Edogan speaking from hotel room/somewhere safe but not looking particularly controlling talking via skype. Appears holed up and not in control. Tried to claim this was a minority Muslim uprising from a faction within the military. Experts saying this is unlikely, looks to be more widespread traditional '20ths century military coup'. This may be a desperation claim by the exiled president. Edogan is urging people to take to streets.

Meanwhile, military has taken down social media and television. Appears military is in control. Dozens of heavily armed soldiers in square of Istanbul, all over capital city as well. Stand-off between soldiers and police underway. Airport has been taken over, incoming UK flights turning around.

Edit 8: "Claims from Turkish sources on air that head of Turkish military has been killed and that the heads of the Turkish Air Force and Land Forces are behind the coup." [Navy suspected loyal to Government.]

Edit 9 People lining up for gas, likely preparing for worst

Edit 10: Sources reporting 2 large explosions in Central Ankara

Vid of tv station being taken over by military
    http://<blockquote class="twitter-vi...f-8"></script>

Edit 11 More footage of attack helicopter firing down in city

Edit 12: Pro-Presidential group has taken control of armored vehicles. Fate of military crew unclear

Edit 13: Fuck. Sounds like soldiers opened fire on civilians on Bosphorus Bridge: https://twitter.com/moezbhar/status/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Edit 14 Civilians under gunfire in the streets

Edit 15: Video of Turkish military running over vehicles with tanks: https://twitter.com/RamiAILoIah/stat...81123630710785

Edit 16 General Intelligence Headquarters building is burning in Anakara

Edit 17: Experts on CBC reminding of the importance of Turkey. One of NATO's largest contributors, currently the largest standing land force by numbers in NATO, key guard of the 'southern flank' of NATO on the Syrian border and a major contributor to fighting ISIS in the region. Instability a major concern to NATO allies.

Edit 18: NTV reports that F16s have taken down a Sikorsky owned by the coup-ing military.

Unreal footage of close fighting between Couping military and other side of Turkish armed forces:
    https://twitter.com/Nayn_Co/status/754086295186661376

Edit 19: Canadian is on the phone with CBC in Ankara right downtown with a top-floor balcony. Had dinner early in the evening and heard of the coup after he'd gotten home. Reports attack helicopters, fighter jets circling low, and explosions and gunfire over the last 4 hours.

Fox News also reporting 3 very large explosions Turkish Grand National Assembly building

Edit 20 Hearing reports that President Erdogan is landing at Istanbul airport.

Edit 21: Explosion at the national assembly
    Last edited by Godfather; 07-16-2016 at 12:40 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Reserved

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Disinformation abounds....
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Disinformation abounds....
    Tell me about it... so hard to track whatsup. The government says the coup is over and they've controlled the 'small disturbance.' Meanwhile shit still seems to be going down, shots fired

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-16-2016)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Tell me about it... so hard to track whatsup. The government says the coup is over and they've controlled the 'small disturbance.' Meanwhile shit still seems to be going down, shots fired
    Plus I have literally heard positive and negative impact arguments for each side of the coup. geesh.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Plus I have literally heard positive and negative impact arguments for each side of the coup. geesh.
    Ya for sure. The news is talking about Erdogan losing power potentially being very bad, destabilizing the region, very important NATO ally, our leaders will back the government, etc.

The other side of the coin is that Turkey has long been a secular country, despite a majority Muslim population. Erdogan has been consolidating power by using extreme Islamic ideas to gain power, quietly supporting ISIS, etc. Turkey is a democracy and the prime minister is supposed to have power (like the UK), but Erdogan wants all the power as President (like Russia...). The military is pro-democracy (bit ironic they'd start a Coup but nevermind that ) and wants to shut Erdogan down. Hard not to sympathize with that cause too.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Godfather; 07-16-2016 at 04:40 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-16-2016)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I am betting he uses this as an excuse to consolidate power and move to a more Islamist state. But yes, we shall see.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,895 Times in 11,970 Posts
    Erdogan's been moving towards making Turkey an Islamic state ever since he obtained office. This coup failing is a complete disaster for the secularism of the country.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Erdogan's been moving towards making Turkey an Islamic state ever since he obtained office. This coup failing is a complete disaster for the secularism of the country.
    There was some discussion today about it possibly being staged as a power grab tool.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

FBD (07-17-2016), Godfather (07-17-2016)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I honestly consider myself anti-conspiracy because I generally just believe humans are too stupid to keep secrets... BUT.... I'm really getting a false-flag sense from all this bullshit. It all just went down too easy. And what really triggered it for me was that first thing Saturday morning, not only had 2500-300 military personal been arrested, but also 2600 judges were arrested. Why? How could they have even done anything to implicate themselves overnight on a Friday?

It absolutely wreaks of something funky.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

FBD (07-17-2016)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I honestly consider myself anti-conspiracy because I generally just believe humans are too stupid to keep secrets... BUT.... I'm really getting a false-flag sense from all this bullshit. It all just went down too easy. And what really triggered it for me was that first thing Saturday morning, not only had 2500-300 military personal been arrested, but also 2600 judges were arrested. Why? How could they have even done anything to implicate themselves overnight on a Friday?

It absolutely wreaks of something funky.
    For me it was when I burst out laughing that he blamed some exile in the US.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ya man the 'Gulen Movement'... whatever.

Turkey is fucked. I wonder if the 1950's CIA would just shoot this guy and instate their own puppet All the crap they did during the old days isn't looking so bad compared to what the Arab Spring has sprung.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ya man the 'Gulen Movement'... whatever.

Turkey is fucked. I wonder if the 1950's CIA would just shoot this guy and instate their own puppet All the crap they did during the old days isn't looking so bad compared to what the Arab Spring has sprung.
    You mean the Arab Spring hailed by the President of the US...clearly the awakening spawned by his Nobel Peace Prize winning approach? That Arab Spring?