Thread: STAR TREK DISCOVERY Discussion Thread *Beware Spoilers*

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    How about Ash Tyler and his man-bun?
    His voice is so 90's California I can't even describe it properly.

He has this one pivotal line, I think when he was arguing with that Klingon dude and puts his hand on his face.

I can't recall it exactly but it was so cringy, I physically cringed

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I've noticed that on a lot of recap sites. Either these people have never watched a minute of TOS and/or TNG or they are just too ignorant to realize that this show is NOTHING like Star Trek ever was.
    Yeah they started with those retro comments earlier in the season and I thought - Yeah sure it's retro. With black alerts, a ship that runs on mushroom spores or a fantastical space creature depending on the season, a gay engineer, ensigns and convicted mass murderers that run the ship...sure. Oh yeah, and crew mates that go to raves and wear tshirts that say 'disco' on them for a little in-joke.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Here's my Ash Tyler complaint after doing some research.

He started out as full Klingon.

They changed his physiology using a painful process of physically breaking and reshaping his bones, removing and altering his internal organs.

Then they transplanted the psych of a real human, so now both personalities clash with each other and fight for dominance.

Couldn't they cut out about 100 steps and just transplant the memory/soul of the Klingon into a real human?

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,110 Times in 59,910 Posts
    In a series full of asinine story lines, this has to be right up there near the top. I have no idea what the point of this whole arc is and I really don't think I wanna know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    You know it's going to develop into something even MORE asinine.
    I just read multiple people theorize that the fungus they pulled out of Till is really going to turn out to be Culber, the dead gay doctor.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    His voice is so 90's California I can't even describe it properly.

He has this one pivotal line, I think when he was arguing with that Klingon dude and puts his hand on his face.

I can't recall it exactly but it was so cringy, I physically cringed
    Yeah, it's beyond bad He definitely doesn't fit the part.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah they started with those retro comments earlier in the season and I thought - Yeah sure it's retro. With black alerts, a ship that runs on mushroom spores or a fantastical space creature depending on the season, a gay engineer, ensigns and convicted mass murderers that run the ship...sure. Oh yeah, and crew mates that go to raves and wear tshirts that say 'disco' on them for a little in-joke.

Exactly, there's just SO MUCH hokey stuff that really is so far beyond anything in any other Trek series that people calling this 'retro' and feeling like old Trek are delusional. Even in the second episode this season, Pike called for a Black Alert when they illegally used the spore drive like it was commonplace. To the best of my knowledge, there has never ever been a Black Alert in Star Trek until now.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Here's my Ash Tyler complaint after doing some research.

He started out as full Klingon.

They changed his physiology using a painful process of physically breaking and reshaping his bones, removing and altering his internal organs.

Then they transplanted the psych of a real human, so now both personalities clash with each other and fight for dominance.

Couldn't they cut out about 100 steps and just transplant the memory/soul of the Klingon into a real human?
    That's crazy talk

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Exactly, there's just SO MUCH hokey stuff that really is so far beyond anything in any other Trek series that people calling this 'retro' and feeling like old Trek are delusional. Even in the second episode this season, Pike called for a Black Alert when they illegally used the spore drive like it was commonplace. To the best of my knowledge, there has never ever been a Black Alert in Star Trek until now.
    I was looking at the set design of the bridge last episode. Closest thing I could come up with is a mid-nineties successful coke dealer's house with adjoining indoor pool.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

We've discussed it before, you can 'update' the look but still make things look retro. That pic above is from that new Star Trek Experience (or something to that effect) that just opened in New York somewhere. Just look at that set, it looks more modern than the same set that was back in the 60's but it holds the feel of what the old TOS bridge looked like. This is what they needed to do if they were planning on doing a prequel that pre-dates TOS by only 10 years. They could have even done a little more if they wanted, but this whole hi-tech look of absolutely everything is ridiculous.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (02-05-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

More pix of the same modernized set

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (02-05-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Part of me still wants to see a clutch and a stickshift in between those helmsman seats

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I had a good book calling The Making of Star Trek. Talked about everything from racial issues to the budget and their subsequent cancellation.

It made me watch the old episodes with a certain eye, because in the book they described a lot of the background issues that went into creating it. William Ware Theiss was the costume designer and there was a lot of contest about him describing how he would go to yard sales and places that sold discontinued items because their budget was constantly getting reduced and he had to find things on the cheap. Sometimes hours before they shot the scene.

He took Jello molds and turned them upside down, cut lawn ornaments in half to become alien architecture and the chairs at the helm and in the briefing room were just converted plastic kitchen chairs people stopped buying because they didn't have coasters on the bottom The guy could stretch a buck.

About his costumes, he infamously said - "The sexiness of an outfit is directly proportional to the perceived possibility that a vital piece of it might fall off."

He died of AIDS in the 90's, wasn't aware of that

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (02-05-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, ikt's actually pretty amazing what they were able to do on that show with the budget they had to work with. It's almost like CBS didn't want the show to succeed right out of the gate. In addition to the stuff you mentioned (which I didn't know), I've also read that they used the same sets lots of times and re-purposed stuff from past episodes.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Here's another thing that irked me in the last episode

Remember when Pike contacted the Starbase to check on Spock? Whoever it was he was talking to said something to the effect that Pike was behind the times because he preferred to use the view screen over the hologram? Ummmmm....how many times did you ever see anyone use a hologram to converse on the Enterprise on TOS?

Just more rewriting of the canon.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, ikt's actually pretty amazing what they were able to do on that show with the budget they had to work with. It's almost like CBS didn't want the show to succeed right out of the gate. In addition to the stuff you mentioned (which I didn't know), I've also read that they used the same sets lots of times and re-purposed stuff from past episodes.
    I looked for that book and may have lost it I also had a great hardcover book about Starfleet Academy that contained detailed blueprints of ships, academy outdoors areas, weapons, the universal translator...all done like it was an actual technical manual for cadets. That one is gone too and it was beautiful.

The Making of Star Trek book revealed lots of the behind the scenes problems with the network, some of the actors *cough Shatner cough* and every battle they faced from censorship to writing about political issues of the time. Uhura meeting Martin Luther King is a true story when he convinced her to stay with the show. The network slotting them to Friday night at 10 pm in an effort to kill the show. (10 is too late for younger children, too early for older teens because they would be out at that time). The "10 letter" write in campaign to save the show after the first season. Studio received thousands of letters per week because Roddenberry and two other people enlisted people to write in and ask 10 other people to do the same. One of the first chain mail letters. Also after the show went into syndication how the episode prices increased, rather than decreased (as is normal with syndicated shows) because of the fan support.

One thing that may have saved the show was the writers involved. And also strangely enough Lucille Ball was the head of Desilu before the show was moved to Paramount studios, and someone convinced her to green light the show when it was at Desilu. They were going to cancel it after the first pilot The Cage was made and no one survived that pilot other than Spock and Majel Barrett.

Some other good stories like Spock was 10 times more popular than Kirk, so they believed that's what inspired Shatner to start his over the top acting and delivery, and his later attitude on the set
    Last edited by Hal-9000; 02-05-2019 at 07:20 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (02-05-2019)