Results 3,796 to 3,810 of 4112

Thread: The NFL thread

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Wow, Andrew Luck announced his retirement from the NFL last night.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (08-26-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Yeah, he wasn't very lucky.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

U.S. Women’s Soccer Team Star: I Think I Can Be A Kicker In The NFL

By Hank Berrien - The Daily Wire

Earlier this week, after a video of U.S. National Soccer team star Carli Lloyd kicking a 55-yard field goal went viral, her trainer James Galanis told FOX Sports that one NFL team had expressed interest in hiring her. Galanis told Fox reporter Martin Rogers, "Today, she got another call from another NFL team. The one that called today, I don’t want to say who it is, was willing to put her on the roster for their next (game). They were willing to put her on the roster … She was told (she could) play on Thursday, the NFL game, but she is playing Thursday with the national team, so that was the conflict."

Galanis continued, "Knowing Carli, I don’t think she would just hop on and do it. She would need a couple of weeks training just to get comfortable and acclimatized. But things have escalated and it is real. I think Carli is perfectly made out for a job like that. She loves the pressure. She’s got one of the hardest kicks in the world when it comes to women. She is great at long range balls, she displayed that by scoring a goal from just past the halfway line in a World cup final, and she is definitely in tune with the mechanics. She would be an ideal candidate … We are thinking about what it would do to the sport itself, every sport at every level. She would be the first female that’s really playing with males, and what would it do to the whole equality (issue)."

Now Lloyd is saying she is considering the idea. She spoke with Jeff Skversky of ABC6 Philadelphia on Wednesday, and he asked, "This has been coming up a lot. How much do you continue to think about pursuing an NFL job?"

Lloyd answered:

Yeah, it’s been something that’s turned into a casual day out at the Eagles practice just hitting some field goals. I’m competitive by nature, started at 25 yards and just kept moving back. That nailed my 55-yard in one try. The next thing I know, I’ve gotten in the car and it’s gone completely viral and it’s gone completely crazy in these last couple weeks. It’s good news. I think it’s started the conversation. At first I was kind of laughing about it, but after speaking with my husband and close family and friends at home, I think that anything’s possible and I think I’d be foolish to maybe not entertain the idea of potentially doing it.

I know that there’s some challenges and there’s some big men on the line; I get that; I’m not naïve to that, but I’m not trying to be a quarterback or a running back. It’s kicking field goals. I think with the right technique, the right practice, getting that two-step down, I think I can do it and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with me saying that I can do it.

She also told Skversky, “It's honestly gotten me thinking a little bit, you now, I think, from a kicking perspective, that’s what I do for a living. I don’t see why not. Women can kick, I think with the right technique and the right practice … I think that it’s possible. I'm kind of considering, considering the offers and we'll see what happens."

Lloyd may say, “I’m not trying to be a quarterback or a running back,” but kickers in football sometimes have to do more than kick, sometimes they have to make a tackle, and sometimes even when they’re kicking things get pretty rough. Here are a few pieces of evidence she might want to consider before getting out on the field in the NFL:

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Patriarchy Keenan Allen says Carli Lloyd couldn’t hack it in the NFL

By Joshua Rhett Miller - The New York Post

At least one NFL player thinks US women’s soccer star Carli Lloyd should stick to the pitch.

Los Angeles Chargers wideout Keenan Allen threw a big bucket of cold Gatorade on Lloyd’s chances to thrive in the league with a pointed tweet on Tuesday, saying the three-time World Cup champ would be a liability if one of her kicks didn’t get past the line of scrimmage.

“Sound sweet til somebody block the kick and all of a sudden she on defense,” Allen wrote. “Would be like the stampede scene in the lion king movie.”

But Allen, who posted his unsolicited take with a video of Lloyd smashing a 55-yard field goal at a Philadelphia Eagles practice last week, wasn’t entirely negative, adding: “She do got a boot tho!”

The post, which was retweeted more than 3,100 times as of early Wednesday, prompted a wide range of replies, including some that countered Lloyd would actually fit right in with her NFL counterparts if given a shot.

“Legitimate question … how is this different from any other kicker?” one NFL fan asked. “The same thing would happen to 99% of them.”

Another user who appeared to be a Chiefs fan even got personal with Allen, claiming Lloyd is actually “more physical” than the 27-year-old Pro Bowl receiver who caught 97 passes and six touchdowns last year.

Other replies blasted the oft-injured Allen as one of the NFL’s “softest players,” while some warned that critics shouldn’t underestimate Lloyd’s chances to make an impact in a regular-season game.

“That woman got legs and people might be surprised what she could do,” one fan said. “She may not have the upper body strength of NFL players but don’t rule out her planting her feet and shoulder down.”

Lloyd, a native of Delran, New Jersey, currently plays midfield for Sky Blue FC in the National Women’s Soccer League. She turned heads on Aug. 20 by splitting the uprights from 55 yards out during a joint practice between the Philadelphia Eagles and Baltimore Ravens.

Lloyd was in Philadelphia on Tuesday to throw the first pitch before the Phillies took on the Pirates. She’s set to rejoin the World Cup champion US women’s team on Thursday to take on Portugal at Lincoln Financial Field as part of a five-game victory tour.

But fans – as well as detractors like Allen — shouldn’t expect Lloyd to kick her way onto an NFL roster this year, as she’s eyeing the 2020 season if she decides to take the plunge, according to her trainer, James Galanis.

“If she’s going to do this, she’ll do it – she’ll train in the offseason, she’ll get herself ready so that she just doesn’t do it for the sake of doing it,” Galanis told ESPN. “If she’s going to do it, she’s going to do it so that she can be a success.”

Two teams have expressed serious interest in Lloyd, including one that offered her a chance to play Thursday in a final preseason matchup, Galanis said. He did not identify the teams.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

NFL Game Hot Mic Picks Up A Very NSFW Confession

Last edited by Teh One Who Knocks; 09-06-2019 at 02:39 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-06-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I'd laugh, but that was the most interesting thing about the Bears game last night.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    I'd laugh, but that was the most interesting thing about the Bears game last night.

At least your FG kicker made the FG and it didn't hit the upright

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post

At least your FG kicker made the FG and it didn't hit the upright

Well there's that. That was the biggest (only?) cheer of the night. Boo Birds in Chicago on day 1 of the season is not good. This isn't Philly....
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    From what I read, Trubisky stunk it up. I didn't watch the game.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Eagles win! 32-27 over the Redskins.

Carson Wentz didn't go down with an injury.

Oddly enough, Nick Foles left the Jags game with an injury.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oakland cuts Antonio Brown and the Patriots immediately swooped in and signed him hours after the cut.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Oakland cuts Antonio Brown and the Patriots immediately swooped in and signed him hours after the cut.
    Yeah, that almost seems fixed.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (09-09-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Update 'Nola No-call' lawsuit is no more; fan drops his fight

The Associated Press

An attorney and New Orleans Saints fan said Monday he will go no further with his court fight against the NFL over game officials' failure to call an obvious penalty at a crucial point in a January playoff game.

The no-call helped the Los Angeles Rams beat the Saints and advance to the Super Bowl.

Lawyer Antonio LeMon and three others sued, alleging fraud by the NFL. The case was dismissed Friday by Louisiana's Supreme Court. A state judge and an appellate court had allowed the suit to proceed over NFL objections. And, for a time, it looked as though Commissioner Roger Goodell and three playoff game officials might have to submit to questions under oath.

"The Louisiana Supreme Court has now spoken," LeMon said in a prepared statement Monday morning. "Consequently we, the plaintiffs in this lawsuit, are ready to move on and respect the ruling of our State's highest court.

LeMon nevertheless called Friday's ruling disappointing.

"By this Supreme Court ruling, the only right given to the purchaser of an NFL ticket, at least in Louisiana, is to get a seat in the stadium," his statement said. "Once in that seat, the NFL has a license to do whatever it wants to us little ticket-holders, even to commit fraud and deceptive consumer trade practices against us without any civil recourse."

The NFL declined comment Monday.

Three other lawsuits over the no-call had already died in federal court. At the center of each of them: The lack of a pass interference or roughness penalty after a Rams player's helmet-to-helmet hit on a Saints receiver with a pass on the way.

Among allegations in LeMon's lawsuit are claims that fraud and "implicit or unconscious bias" on the part of game officials from the Los Angeles area led to the decision not to flag the penalty.

LeMon did succeed in getting some responses from the NFL to written queries before the state Supreme Court halted action in the case while it was pending. The league acknowledged that video shows that pass interference and unnecessary roughness penalties should have been called. But it also said officials who were in proper position at the time of the play saw it "in real-time at full speed" and did not see the penalties.

"It is for each of us who have viewed the "No Call" play to decide if the NFL and Commissioner Goodell are being truthful and whether these sworn responses are disturbing," LeMon's Monday statement said.

In April, NFL owners voted to next season allow pass interference calls and non-calls to be challenged by coaches and reviewed on replay by officials.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    And who's idea was it to start the Broncos game at 8:20 PM local time? Some people have to actually get up for work the next day. I guess it did me the favor of not having to watch them lose to the fucking Raiders at least.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Conspiracy Jerry Rice: Antonio Brown 'played' everyone, wanted to go to New England Patriots all along

By Ryan Gaydos | Fox News

NFL legend Jerry Rice said Monday there was something fishy going on with Antonio Brown’s departure from the Oakland Raiders and his almost immediate signing with the New England Patriots.

Rice, in a radio interview with 95.7 The Game in San Francisco, said he believes that Brown wanted to end up with the Patriots all along — even before he was traded to Oakland.

“We all got played, man. We did,” he said. “I'm gonna be honest with you, because, this guy, he contacted me and he told me that he wanted to play ball here in the Bay Area. He wanted to be part of the San Francisco 49ers. So, I bought into it because I can only take a man at his word and stuff like that. But I think this, it was pretty much already planned. He had to take a different direction.”

Brown signed the Patriots hours after he was released by the Raiders. The Brown drama began almost as soon as minicamp opened up for NFL teams.

Brown was on the mend after suffering a foot injury during a cryotherapy session and he reportedly threatened to retire because he couldn’t wear his outdated helmet. He then had it out with general manager Mike Mayock and allegedly threatened to punch him in the face before turning around and apologizing to his team and putting the thought in everyone’s mind he would play for the Raiders.

However, Brown released a private conversation with coach Jon Gruden in a heavily produced YouTube video and, when he learned he was going to be fined for conduct detrimental to the team and lose his guaranteed money, he asked for his release in an Instagram post.

Rice said he believes Brown forced the organization’s hand in the decision to release the wide receiver.

“I think when he asked to be released from the Steelers, he wanted to go to the Patriots,” he said. “He wanted them to trade him to the Patriots. And there was no way that the Steelers would trade him to a rival. So he had to go a different route. And he decided to come through the Bay Area. And I feel sorry for the fans over in Oakland. He was a Denzel Washington and he won the Oscar. He won an Oscar, guys. I’m gonna be honest with you.”

Brown is expected to play in the Patriots’ second game of the season against the Miami Dolphins.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (09-10-2019)