Thread: North Carolina voters ban gay marriage, civil unions

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,110 Times in 59,910 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    The relationship itself, no facet of that affects me. The neverending progressive war on language, individual freedoms, etc, why yes, sooner or later the endless creep of "we know best how to tell every single last one of you to live your life" will reach you. Sorry for placing this in a larger context, but this is a small bit of the puzzle.
    Did you even read what you wrote?

Banning gay marriage is a war on individual freedoms. It's banning a freedom that only people of a certain sexual orientation can't partake of. And a war on words? FFS, name me one word in recorded history (that's still in use and not a scientific term...better make that point or else you will no doubt try and be flippant about it) where the definition hasn't changed at least slightly.

You are using a straw man and are failing. You have not demonstrated one single shred of evidence as to how gay people getting married affects anyone else on this whole planet.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Why is the "word" so important to you to be protected?
    It's not to me but several billion people will tell you otherwise.

Can those billions of people logically defend their stance? Not really, but most people can't backup the shit they say.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    How so? This character has the right to be a moral crusader for the sanctity of marriage? It's a bunch of hypocritical bs. He has no more claim to the union of marriage than two men or two women who want to give it a shot - that's the point.
    It's not hypocritical. There has always been this backwards argument that because so many marriages end in divorce, then of course there's no sanctity so why not open it up. It's a fallacious argument. The goal shouldn't be to use poor marriage performance as the guide for when it's ok to say there is no sanctity, the goal should be to improve marriage performance.

I am no defender of Rush, but arguing that the President is making an assault on traditional marriage is perfectly fine with me. He is, no matter if you agree with him or disagree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Again how so?! Telling a gay couple they can't be married is less offensive than it was to an interracial one? If that's true, I need far more elaboration because IMO it couldn't be more relevant. And if we had a crystal ball, I'd bet good money that future generations will look back in agreement and be embarrassed.
    Yes, it's apples and oranges to me. Marriage isn't a civil right. If it were there would be no restrictions at all, which of course there are and still will be if gay marriage becomes legal nation wide. It's just not about civil rights. That argument is using the anger and guilt of the civil rights era to try and make people flinch. I haven't flinched.

It's simply about societal standards. If you want a successful, functioning society, there has to be limits drawn. It's a fall of the roman empire thing to me; we slowly erode societal standards until there's nothing left. Now don't come back with some "chicken little" argument. I am not saying gay marriage is the end of our society - I am saying that we need standards and the only way they ever seem to move is to the left of center. Eventually the needle gets too far left for my liking.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,110 Times in 59,910 Posts
    Here FBD, let me put it this way....you think drugs should be legalized, correct?

So how is that any different than gay marriage? You sure have a rather loud opinion whenever someone comes up on the side of keeping drugs illegal.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    The goal shouldn't be to use poor marriage performance as the guide for when it's ok to say there is no sanctity, the goal should be to improve marriage performance.

What makes you think this isnt whats happening

It's simply about societal standards. If you want a successful, functioning society, there has to be limits drawn. It's a fall of the roman empire thing to me; we slowly erode societal standards until there's nothing left. Now don't come back with some "chicken little" argument. I am not saying gay marriage is the end of our society - I am saying that we need standards and the only way they ever seem to move is to the left of center. Eventually the needle gets too far left for my liking.
    But you are in fact saying its the fall of society, otherwise this argument is invalid.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tehlancinator View Post
    Here FBD, let me put it this way....you think drugs should be legalized, correct?

So how is that any different than gay marriage? You sure have a rather loud opinion whenever someone comes up on the side of keeping drugs illegal.
    Sorry to answer a direct question to FBD, but it's not different. It's a further erosion of societal standards just like gay marriage. Good point Lance.

Now having said that I have also changed my opinion on this board regarding marijuana in the interest of full disclosure - no need to find the quotes, I admitted it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Sorry to answer a direct question to FBD, but it's not different. It's a further erosion of societal standards just like gay marriage. Good point Lance.

Now having said that I have also changed my opinion on this board regarding marijuana in the interest of full disclosure - no need to find the quotes, I admitted it.
    Hahahahaha what? So you are on board with weed eroding society but not gay marriage ?

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What makes you think this isnt whats happening

But you are in fact saying its the fall of society, otherwise this argument is invalid.
    I don't understand the first response, sorry.

for the second: Nudists should be allowed to roam the streets. It's their civil right.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Hahahahaha what? So you are on board with weed eroding society but not gay marriage ?
    To an extent, yes.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I don't understand the first response, sorry..
    Im saying maybe same sex marriage will make marriage more successful (statistically)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    I'll make one last comment on this thread. It's a good one

Society has ALWAYS avoided using words that cause people anguish. N*gger is an affront to black people so we avoid it. W*etback is an affront to Hispanics so we avoid it. Ch*nk is an affront to Asians so we avoid it.

The word "marriage" when describing the union of two gay people causes anguish to almost every religion in the world. So because it's religions that are offended it's somehow different than races of people?

Hello double standard!

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Im saying maybe same sex marriage will make marriage more successful (statistically)
    Oh so now the argument is that homosexual couples are statistically more "successful" that hetero couples? If you hadn't just completely just made that up, I'd argue it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oh so now the argument is that homosexual couples are statistically more "successful" that hetero couples? If you hadn't just completely just made that up, I'd argue it.
    Im not saying that at all, I was just responding to your comment "the goal should be to improve marriage performance." Maybe this would be an improvement

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Trip View Post
    I'll make one last comment on this thread. It's a good one

Society has ALWAYS avoided using words that cause people anguish. N*gger is an affront to black people so we avoid it. W*etback is an affront to Hispanics so we avoid it. Ch*nk is an affront to Asians so we avoid it.

The word "marriage" when describing the union of two gay people causes anguish to almost every religion in the world. So because it's religions that are offended it's somehow different than races of people?

Hello double standard!
    Even *I* disagree with you on that. It's not the word. It's mainstreaming an alternative lifestyle - even Lance gets sick of all the gay shit in TV shows.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    - even Lance gets sick of all the gay shit in TV shows.
    What are you talking about, he loves Glee