Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: PGA/LPGA/Senior/Euro Tour

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Oops Former NCAA champion golfer disqualified from LGPA qualifying event after mom moves her ball

By Ryan Gaydos | Fox News

A former NCAA golf champion was disqualified from the LGPA’s qualifying tournament over the weekend after she played a ball her mother moved back in bounds.

A homeowner near the Pinehurst, N.C., golf course caught someone moving Doris Chen’s errant tee shot back in bounds and later reported the infraction, Golf Channel reported. The person who moved the ball was later identified as Chen’s mother, Yuh-Guey Lin.

Alex Valer, Chen’s caddie, tried to explain the situation to the Golf Channel.

“It’s a mess,” he said. “Doris did the wrong thing. I’m just trying to do the right thing, to be fair to all those players at Q-Series who have worked so hard for a whole year.”

Chen attempted to distance herself from the controversy Sunday, calling the incident a “misunderstanding.”

“I did not have any direct involvement, nor was it my intention for it to happen,” she said in the statement. “It was a stressful week and I did my best in terms of resolving it at the moment. Unfortunately, I did not have the best judgement [sic] at the moment and this resulted [in] a ruling. It was my responsibility as a player to call for a rules official at the time to investigate, whether the event to be true or mistaken.

“However, I thought I knew the rules clearly. I have to firmly clarify that my caddie, the volunteer nor I at the time we were searching for the ball saw anything suspicious. I did not hear or see anything, nor did I do anything that would interfere. I found the ball and hit it.”

The LGPA released a statement, saying Chen played the wrong ball.

“Doris Chen's drive on the 17th hole in round 7 came to rest out of bounds," the LPGA said in the statement, according to ESPN. “An outside agency moved her ball back in bounds. Ms. Chen and her caddie were made aware that the ball had been moved. Doris elected to play the ball, which was a wrong ball by definition, from its altered lie. Ms. Chen did not correct her error before teeing off on the next hole, thus resulting in the DQ penalty.”

Chen, who won an NCAA title with USC in 2014 and a U.S. Girls’ Junior title in 2010, defended herself in an interview with the Golf Channel, saying feels “hurt” over the situation and is not a cheater.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Zounds 2019 Masters: Tiger Woods storms leaderboard, wins fifth green jacket in furious finish

by Kyle Porter , Chip Patterson & Kyle Boone - CBS Sports

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- Tiger Woods has done it again. After an 11-year drought, golf's most polarizing and popular figure has added another major to his dossier, outlasting a star-studded leaderboard on Sunday by posting a final round 2-under 70 to win the 2019 Masters. It's his first major win since the 2008 U.S. Open, 15th of his career and first at Augusta National since 2005. With five green jackets now in his Augusta locker, Woods is second all-time at the pristine course behind only Jack Nicklaus, who won six times between 1963 and 1986.

Woods began the day T2 and in the final pairing for the first time since 2007, but he sat two strokes off leader Francesco Molinari, who had been steady all week. Molinari led throughout much of the day, in fact, until double-bogeys on No. 12 and No. 15 opened a small window for Tiger to pounce -- and pounce he did. Woods birdied the par-5 13th hole and par-5 15th for the third time this week, then birdied the par-3 16th with a near-hole-in-one. He walked up to No. 17 with a two-stroke lead on Dustin Johnson and Brooks Koepka, and when Koepka missed a birdie putt on 18 that would have put pressure on Woods, Tiger was able to clinch it with a bogey on the final hole.

"I was just trying to plod my way around the golf course all day, then all of a sudden I had the lead, and coming up 18, it was just trying to make a 5," said Woods. "When I tapped the putt in, I don't know what I did, but I know I screamed. And then I was just looking for Joey. I shook the guys' hands and then found Joey, and it was a pretty big embrace. To have my kids there, it's come full circle. My dad was here in 1997 and now i'm the dad with two kids there."

Woods becomes a five-time Masters winner on Sunday, which stands alone as the second-most in the sport's history ahead of Arnold Palmer. Only Jack Nicklaus, who won six, has more. The victory marks Woods' first at Augusta since 2005, when he capped an incredible decade of dominance at the event he also won in 1997, 2000 and 2001.

"It's overwhelming," said Woods of winning for a fifth time. "I think just because of what has transpired, and last year i was just very lucky to be playing again. The previous dinner, the champions dinner, I was really struggling and missed a couple years of not playing this great tournament. To now be the champion, 22 years between wins is a long time. But it's just unreal for me to experience this. My mom was here, she was there in 97 as well. So I just couldn't be more happy and more excited and i'm kind of at a loss for words, really."

Woods' fourth and final round was a roller coaster, much like the rest of the field. He began with consecutive pars before birdie-bogey-bogey on 3, 4 and 5. In his final four holes on the first nine, he tapped in two birdies to stay on pace with the leaders. His second nine was bookended by bogeys, but in between, he played the seven holes at 3-under, led by consecutive birdies on 15 and 16.

Following the victory, Woods made an appearance in Butler Cabin to receive his fifth green jacket from 2018 champion Patrick Reed. Sliding on the jacket, a wry smile crept across his face.

"It fits," he said.

CBS Sports was with you the entire way on Sunday for every hole of Tiger's incredible Masters win, updating this story with highlights throughout. If you are unable to view the live updates below, please click here.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Muddy (04-15-2019), RBP (04-14-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I fuckin missed it, never realised they were going out early due to the weather I normally switch on at 9pm or so for the Masters final day then watch the majority of the final round (usually finishes around midnight my time) - went to check the leaderboard at 8pm andd it had F next to all the names

Guess Tiger really is back this time

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    While it's a great story, I'm still gonna reserve judgement as to whether he's really back. Great story, great comeback, but he'll need to win another major this year (or at least come close) before I'll agree that he's back.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    While it's a great story, I'm still gonna reserve judgement as to whether he's really back. Great story, great comeback, but he'll need to win another major this year (or at least come close) before I'll agree that he's back.
    Winning 1 is enough for me tbh - even if he never wins another major id still say it was one hell of a comeback consisering what he's gone through the last few years

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

Muddy (04-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Winning 1 is enough for me tbh - even if he never wins another major id still say it was one hell of a comeback consisering what he's gone through the last few years
    Winning one tourney isn't being "back"

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Winning one tourney isn't being "back"

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again
    Yeah, coz its so easy to win a major.........

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I won one and it was my very first time trying but I gave the trophy back and said keep it and give it to the other guy because if it's this easy, I don't want it

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I won one and it was my very first time trying but I gave the trophy back and said keep it and give it to the other guy because if it's this easy, I don't want it
    Hmmm

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

See? It's a simple game

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks

See? It's a simple game
    President Trump's better

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    I know where you're coming from. Old Tiger was a monster. He won the Masters in 1997 by 12 strokes They 'Tiger Proofed' courses to make it tougher on him and try and even things out.

At his age, with 4 surgeries, I don't think we'll ever see him get back to that level of absolute dominance. But the way he played yesterday, I'd bet we see him win another couple Majors to prove any of the hold-out doubters wrong.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I know where you're coming from. Old Tiger was a monster. He won the Masters in 1997 by 12 strokes They 'Tiger Proofed' courses to make it tougher on him and try and even things out.

At his age, with 4 surgeries, I don't think we'll ever see him get back to that level of absolute dominance. But the way he played yesterday, I'd bet we see him win another couple Majors to prove any of the hold-out doubters wrong.
    He needs 4 more to be bullet proof. He can be faulted for accepting poor coaching that made his swing a horror. You never saw that with that classic champions.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    He needs 4 more to be bullet proof. He can be faulted for accepting poor coaching that made his swing a horror. You never saw that with that classic champions.
    4 more majors to be bullet proof as the GOAT? Or just 4 more wins to be considered 'back' like Lance was saying?

If it's the former I agree absolutely, he's got to beat Jack's Major's record to kill that debate. If it's the latter I think that's harsh to expect this season. Last year nobody won more than 3.
    Last edited by Godfather; 04-16-2019 at 06:29 AM.