Page 165 of 237 FirstFirst ... 65 115 155 163 164 165 166 167 175 215 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 3546

Thread: The Major League Baseball thread

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Wow.
    It was close, that's why they appealed to 1st base

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    You're staring straight forward. How the hell do you miss the swing?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    You're staring straight forward. How the hell do you miss the swing?

It was a judgment call, it's hard to tell if he broke the plane or not when it happens in real time

Even with this still frame view that we get to see after the fact, it's still almost too close to call whether he held up or not.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-23-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    definitely too close to call.

I learned something about that this weekend. Javier Baez asked for an appeal on a check swing. The umpire denied the appeal and called him out. I have never seen that before, but I checked the rule. The umpire can deny an appeal.

Baez and Joe Maddon both got tossed over that argument.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks

Cubs intervene after adult fan shamelessly steals a baseball from a child

There are few things that manage to cause adult sports fans to disregard common courtesy more than the prospect of receiving a $23 baseball for free in a stadium setting.

Sure, it’s a thrill to catch a baseball at a big-league game. And while an adult doesn’t need to go out of his or her way to give a baseball to a kid (though that would still be nice!), few take kindly to adults grabbing baseballs that were intended for children.

Seriously, don’t do what these two Cubs fans did during Sunday’s game at Wrigley Field.

When first base coach Will Venable tossed a baseball to a young fan seated in the first row, the ball got away and bounced beneath the seat. That was when a middle-aged man in the second row grabbed the baseball and gleefully handed it to the woman next to him.

Thankfully, the Cubs took notice to these fans’ behavior and made sure the young kid not only got himself a baseball but also one-upped those Adult Baseball Fans.

A separate baseball and an autographed Javy Baez baseball would certainly do the trick.

But please, let that be a reminder to all sports fans: Don’t be any of these people.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (07-23-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    People are assholes

I went to Bandimere on Saturday for the NHRA Mile High Nationals and in between races and stuff they have guys with t-shirt cannons shooting them into the various sections of the crowd. They shot one in our direction but they way overshot it and it ended up way back. A little later on there was a guy a few rows in front of us that came back to his seat telling the people he was with that there were adults that tackled a kid to get the stupid free t-shirt.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-23-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks

Taking a ball from a little kid is a bad look. But social media got it wrong.

The social media world teed off on an adult fan who snagged a baseball obviously thrown to a little kid in the Wrigley Field crowd at Sunday’s Cardinals-Cubs game.

Social media got it wrong.

Within 24 hours, the man condemned as selfish and unthinking because of the viral video was being hailed as selfless and thoughtful by the boy’s family, fans seated nearby and the Cubs organization.

All told, according to the Cubs, the man wound up with four balls during the game. Three went to kids, according to nearby fans, including the one who appeared to be slighted in the clip.

“I spoke to the boy’s mother today and can confirm the man did not steal the ball from the boy, based on information we received from his mother,” Cubs spokesman Julian Green said in a statement. “Unfortunately, a video that was quickly posted and unverified has made a national villain out of an innocent man who was attending his first Cubs game to celebrate his wedding anniversary.

“In fact, the man gave several balls to children in the same section and his wife as an anniversary present. We hope this first experience won’t ruin his trip to Chicago and Wrigley Field and we invite him to come back soon.”

The man does not wish to be exposed to the public more than he already has been, Green said. But he issued a statement through the Cubs.

“I would like to thank the Taylor family, Chuck Mycoff, and all the people around us at the game who spoke up on my behalf,” he said. “The story they share is what truly happened. I helped the young man get a ball at the beginning of the game. We were of the same mind that any more that came our way would be passed to the others next to us.

“Many foul balls came our way that day and were happily shared among the children in our area. The ball in question was passed on to one of those children. No one left disappointed. I am not ‘that guy’ that the media and social media made me out to be. Once again thank you to Chuck Mycoff, the Taylor family and everyone around me that came to my defense. You are all heroes to me.”

The mother of the boy, who sat in the first row along the right-field line with his grandparents, said it was OK to share the surname Taylor but hoped to protect her family’s privacy beyond that.

Through the Cubs, she issued a statement absolving the man in the second row of wrongdoing no matter that fans whipped themselves into a frenzy because of what they thought they saw in the video.

“What they didn’t see is that our son already had a foul ball and what they didn’t know is that our son had already decided that if he got another ball that he would toss it to the little boy behind him,” one of the boy’s parents said through the Cubs.

“There were many foul balls in that section that day and they were happily shared with many deserving fans. The fans in his section left the game giddy with excitement from a great game, most of all our son, who had one of the best days of his life.”

Corroborating that view was Chuck Mycoff of St. Charles, who was the bystander (or bysitter) with the folded arms and blue shirt next to the fan in question who grabbed the ball and handed it to the woman next to him in the damning viral video.

“The whole world is calling this guy the most evil guy in the world for being a ball thief,” Mycoff said by phone. “The fact of the matter is, he got balls for three kids.

“Television and social media read it the wrong way and made up a story. … It’s crazy. That guy helped that kid get a ball earlier and he got other kids balls.”

Viewers of the video saw Cubs first-base coach Will Venable clearly tossing a ball to the kid in the too-big cap, only to have the man in the second row take it from under the seats. And that can’t look good.

Condemnation of the grown-up was swift, strong and unwavering. He has yet to be publicly identified.

“Our son and family doesn’t consider that baseball stolen, and we hope that in the name of good sportsmanship, the fan who received that ball can be left alone,” the boy’s parent said in the statement.

Even as online outrage snowballed during the game, the Cubs sought a happy ending for the incident. They gave the youngster a ball signed by All-Star Javier Baez and posted a picture of him with two baseballs on the team Twitter feed.

What the Cubs’ tweet didn’t explain is from where the second ball came.

Some assumed the Cubs gave him two. Mycoff and others seated nearby tried to set the record straight on Twitter, but they didn’t make much headway in countering the popular narrative.

“Here’s what it was,” Mycoff said. “In the first inning, somebody fouled a ball off the screen over the Cardinals dugout. The guy jumped up. I tried to catch it too. He jumps up. It hits his hand and bounces right into where the tarp and the wall are, right in front of these people (in the front row), where the kid is. So he calls to the dad: ‘Hey! Hey, grab that ball real quick for your boy!’ So the guy grabs it and gets ball for the boy.”

Three innings later came the incident with Venable’s toss into the stands, which everyone saw.

“It fell down under the seat, was down between my legs,” Mycoff said. “The guy picked it up and the 12 seconds of video looks like he just callously gave it to his wife and ignored the kid. What it doesn’t show is the (grandmother) had already said: ‘He'’ already got a ball. If we get any more, we’ll give them to somebody else.’ And the guy turned and handed it to his wife, who then in turn handed to a kid next to her that she didn't know. They didn't keep it.”

Three innings later, according to Mycoff, the out-of-towner from South Carolina got another ball and gave it to yet another youth.

“So he gave two balls to the kids next to them that they didn’t know, helped the kid in front of us get a ball, and he’s being made out to be a villain,” Mycoff said. “He did the right thing. He gave the kids baseballs.”

The counterpoint to the stream of invective toward the fan didn’t gain much traction until David Kaplan of NBC Sports Chicago and WMVP-AM 1000 tweeted late Sunday night — seven hours after the incident — that Cubs sources told him the widely circulated video clip and subsequent media reports based on it didn’t tell the full story.

“The man who grabbed the ball on the widely seen video had actually already helped the little boy get a ball earlier,” Kaplan said on Twitter. “The young man has a game used ball and a Javy Baez ball. All is well. Guy is A-OK so let it go people.”

Kaplan and Eddie Olczyk had Mycoff on their ESPN 1000 show Monday, but it has been difficult to reverse first impressions that already have cut a wide swath across the national consciousness.

“The original video looked terrible,” Kaplan told the Tribune. “The amazing thing is we’ve reported all this now and there are still, I mean, tweet after tweet (saying) ‘This guy only gave the kid a ball out of guilt.’ He (got the kid a) ball before the video was even taken. People refuse to admit it.”

Mycoff, a ticket broker who provides corporate travel and hospitality to major events around the country, said he wound up at Sunday’s Cubs game with his wife because his tickets went unsold. The South Carolina couple got their tickets from another online source and it was mere chance he was sitting next to them.

So, too, was what happened, even if it wasn’t what it looked like. It followed an all-too-familiar pattern of taking what one sees at face value and passing judgment without necessarily knowing what happened before, during or after.

“Well, I’m getting a lesson in what happens in social media,” Mycoff said. “The only reason I got involved at all is because the story was so wrong.”

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (07-24-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Madden conceding the game AGAIN tonight. I'm just not sure I understand. They were only down by 6 (7-1) in the top of the 8th and he brings in the back up catcher to pitch again. He even let Rizzo pitch the last out of the 9th. All laughing and joking.

Here's an idea, stage a rally and fucking win the game with actual relief pitchers. You have the highest run total in the National league. You don't think you can get 6 in 2 innings?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Madden conceding the game AGAIN tonight. I'm just not sure I understand. They were only down by 6 (7-1) in the top of the 8th and he brings in the back up catcher to pitch again. He even let Rizzo pitch the last out of the 9th. All laughing and joking.

Here's an idea, stage a rally and fucking win the game with actual relief pitchers. You have the highest run total in the National league. You don't think you can get 6 in 2 innings?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Just read a stat that seemed a little unbelievable....at the current pace the BoSox are on track to win 113 games this year. Boston has only won 100 or more games THREE TIMES in club history and not since 1949. I would never have ever believed that if I hadn't read the stats.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-24-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Just read a stat that seemed a little unbelievable....at the current pace the BoSox are on track to win 113 games this year. Boston has only won 100 or more games THREE TIMES in club history and not since 1949. I would never have ever believed that if I hadn't read the stats.
    I just calculated that yesterday, oddly enough. I had them at a 112 pace. Amazing.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Cole Hammels & cash to the Cubs for a prospect and player to be named later.

Hopefully a change of scenery will do him good. Right now he sucks, despite his previous glory.

Also, if you get the chance, check out the end of the 9th in today's Diamondbacks/Cubs game. Wow.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Don't get me wrong, I love Cole Hamels and I always will, but he can't have much longevity left in the league. It's been 10 years since he won the World Series with the Phillies. He came into the league in '06. He's 34 now. Pitchers don't last forever.

Chase Utley's retiring after this season's done. He came into the league in '03 and is 39.
    Jimmy Rollins is out.
    Ryan Howard's done, even if he doesn't want to accept it. Currently a free agent, and the only contracts' he's fielding nowadays are minor league appointments.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 07-27-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Satchel Paige pitched until he was 59