PDA

View Full Version : The Major League Baseball thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RBP
12-11-2014, 03:55 AM
Joe Maddon's a pretty good manager. I had Montero in my fantasy lineup before. He's a decent catcher. He can be a bit inconsistent at the plate but he had good numbers last year. I wouldn't call Hammel great, he's a good pitcher, but he's not Kershaw. But then again, who is? Not a bad addition to your rotation. We'll see how it works out for you guys.

:dunno: You guys are always better at the stats and specifics than me, I never had the knack for it. My oldest brother can cite players and stats like crazy.

DemonGeminiX
12-11-2014, 04:03 AM
Here's what you really need to know: stats are great in-season, but they're no indicator of how a player is going to perform from one season to the next. So you can't really look at a player's numbers from last year and say he's going to be fantastic or be absolutely shit this season. You just have to wait and see. As far as numbers from previous seasons go, they're just a conversation piece... but if you're a rational human being, you know they really don't mean squat.

RBP
12-11-2014, 04:11 AM
Here's what you really need to know: stats are great in-season, but they're no indicator of how a player is going to perform from one season to the next. So you can't really look at a player's numbers from last year and say he's going to be fantastic or be absolutely shit this season. You just have to wait and see. As far as numbers from previous seasons go, they're just a conversation piece... but if you're a rational human being, you know they really don't mean squat.

I know Joe Madden thinks Lester is still hitting his stride. By all accounts, his addition relieves pressure on the other starters and adds to their confidence. The back end is solid. I consider it an organizational move as much as a player signing.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-11-2014, 11:24 AM
:fu:

They are poised! POISED!

I am very pleased with the moves so far.

:-s

Poised to suck for another season?

:nana:

:bwaha:

:burn:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-11-2014, 11:24 AM
too bad they still have to play the games during the season :shrug:

:rofl:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Vegas has moved the Cubs from 40-1 to 12-1 to win the World Series :facepalm:

DemonGeminiX
12-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Man, what the hell are the Dodgers doing?

DemonGeminiX
12-11-2014, 07:13 PM
The Tigers just acquired Cespedes from the Red Sox for Porcello in a 4 player deal.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Baseball Hall of Fame: Johnson, Martinez, Smoltz, Biggio elected (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24939150/baseball-hall-of-fame-johnson-martinez-smoltz-biggio-elected)

DemonGeminiX
01-16-2015, 02:40 AM
Things are gonna look a lot different come spring, based on the news I'm reading.

RBP
01-16-2015, 02:49 AM
Vegas has moved the Cubs from 40-1 to 12-1 to win the World Series :facepalm:

:woot:

Last I looked it was at 15 and the White Sox were at 30. :dance:

DemonGeminiX
01-16-2015, 03:08 AM
The Cubs' Rizzo is guaranteeing the Cubs take their division this year. Those kinds of declarations usually don't bode well.

The Astros traded for the Braves' Evan Gattis and a few others. It looks like they're gonna try and take a run at a pennant. The Braves have unloaded all of their power hitters, so they're pretty much gonna suck this year. A lot of players have been moving around.

RBP
01-16-2015, 03:13 AM
The Cubs' Rizzo is guaranteeing the Cubs take their division this year. Those kinds of declarations usually don't bode well.

The Astros traded for the Braves' Evan Gattis and a few others. It looks like they're gonna try and take a run at a pennant. The Braves have unloaded all of their power hitters, so they're pretty much gonna suck this year. A lot of players have been moving around.

I heard the interview. It was confidence not guaranteeing. It's Cubs convention weekend, there will be a lot of off the cuff comments from players.

DemonGeminiX
01-16-2015, 03:16 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/cubs-will-win-nl-central-in-2015--anthony-rizzo-says-001955288.html

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/12175720/anthony-rizzo-says-chicago-cubs-win-nl-central

RBP
01-16-2015, 03:33 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/cubs-will-win-nl-central-in-2015--anthony-rizzo-says-001955288.html

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/12175720/anthony-rizzo-says-chicago-cubs-win-nl-central

I see that and stand by what I said. Confidence. Do you really expect him to say they are not going to win?

DemonGeminiX
01-16-2015, 03:51 AM
No, but usually those declarations are reserved for the locker room. Like I said, you spew that junk to the media, it's bad news. I've seen tons of players across many sports declare they're gonna win and then lose. Only one time in my 39 years have I seen such a brazenly open declaration actually come true: Mark Messier leading the Rangers to the Stanley Cup in '94.

RBP
01-16-2015, 03:52 AM
:dunno: Cub's convention. You're reading too much into it.

But point taken.

deebakes
01-16-2015, 04:07 AM
:dunno: Cub's convention.

is that some sort of gay conference? :-k

RBP
01-16-2015, 04:14 AM
is that some sort of gay conference? :-k

Why do gay guys have sex doggy style?

So they can both watch the cubs game.

deebakes
01-16-2015, 06:24 AM
:rofl:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-16-2015, 10:30 AM
I heard the interview. It was confidence not guaranteeing. It's Cubs convention weekend, there will be a lot of off the cuff comments from players.

'Cubs' and 'confidence' in the same sentence :giggle:

http://i.imgur.com/g58KNWV.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
02-06-2015, 11:58 AM
Less than 2 weeks until pitchers and catchers start reporting for Spring Training :cheerlead:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-16-2015, 12:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ENNgvno.png

RBP
02-16-2015, 01:16 PM
'Cubs' and 'confidence' in the same sentence :giggle:

http://i.imgur.com/g58KNWV.jpg

Current 2015 odds: Cubs are at 6-1 to win the pennant and 12-1 to win the world series.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Consistantly
Useless
By
Summer

RBP
02-16-2015, 01:23 PM
Consistantly
Useless
By
Summer

:sad2:

http://i.imgur.com/qiChAL2.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
02-16-2015, 01:24 PM
:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-16-2015, 01:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/r1hSkrC.jpg

RBP
02-16-2015, 01:27 PM
I still hate Bartman! :x

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2015, 12:12 PM
By Matt Snyder | Baseball Writer - CBSSports

http://i.imgur.com/VLM8rNY.jpg

The Chicago Cubs are the "in" team right now.

After a 2014 season that saw Anthony Rizzo and Starlin Castro make the All-Star team as 24 year olds and Jake Arrieta look like a frontline pitcher, the Cubs went out and got Joe Maddon to manage the ballclub.

And then they signed ace Jon Lester, among a bevy of offseason moves, notably adding Miguel Montero and Dexter Fowler to the fray.

Team that with what many -- really, almost every prospect outlet -- consider the best farm system in baseball and we already have some saying this will be the year. Just off the top of my head I can think of a major outlet (Sporting News) and national writer I greatly respect (Scott Miller) who made the prediction the Cubs would win it all. They aren't alone, either.

I would like to respectfully take a step back here. Maybe it's because I'm a lifelong Cubs fan and I have to protect myself. I don't think that's the case, though. I think the realistic outlook is that 2015 is one final growing year before the window of contention flies open -- and stays open for quite a while.

Why? Well, let's do this. Here is a partial list of the questions that need to be answered:

• How will Kris Bryant adapt to the big-league level? When will he even be joining the Cubs?

• Will Miguel Montero's framing pay as much dividend as we've been assuming? Will his offense move closer to pre-2013 levels?

• Was Jake Arrieta's 25-start 2014 season the real thing, or was he a one-hit wonder?

• Is Jason Hammel going to pitch like he did for the Cubs last season or like he has for most of the rest of his career?

• Was Kyle Hendricks' 13-start performance as a rookie the real thing?

• Can Arismendy Alcantara and Javier Baez adapt to big-league pitching, which made them look overmatched last season for the most part?

• Was what we saw in 24 games from Jorge Soler a sign of things to come or will the league quickly adjust?

• Is the back end of the bullpen (Hector Rondon, Neil Ramirez, Jason Motte, Pedro Strop) strong enough to contend?

Obviously, lots of those questions could be answered in the positive. Just to name three, I think Arrieta is legit, I do believe in the bullpen and I'm going to pick Bryant to win the NL Rookie of the Year without even considering anyone else. Also, obviously, every single question doesn't have to be answered in a good way from the Cubs' perspective for a playoff run.

The broader point, though, is that the Cubs still need those questions answered. This overall isn't a "young" or "inexperienced" team, really, but in order to be a heavy hitter, lots of guys who haven't proven themselves for more than parts of a season at the big-league level -- or less -- need to step up in a big way. Take note of the names of several keys to the Cubs' possible success in 2015: Bryant, Soler, Hendricks, Baez and Alcantara, among others. None has more than a half-season of big-league experience.

This isn't to say there aren't veteran leaders. There are in Lester, Montero and David Ross. Rizzo, Fowler, Hammel and Castro have been around plenty, too. I'm simply pointing out there are important questions to be answered by players who we can't be sure can do it for a full season in the bigs.

A playoff run could well happen. I'm not counting it out. There's enough talent. Plus, if the Cubs just sneak into the second NL wild-card spot, it's always possible to get hot and make the World Series. We saw as much last season from a pair of wild cards.

I'm just saying that jumping straight to a World Series championship prediction from a 73-win team seems a bit of an overreaction. I would rather settle down a bit. I'll take mid-80s in wins in 2015 and will then be prepared to start thinking about that elusive World Series in 2016.

Shady
02-26-2015, 08:19 AM
A winning season is all that i am hoping for this season from the Cubs but by 2017 I expect a world series visit.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-26-2015, 11:54 AM
A winning season is all that i am hoping for this season from the Cubs but by 2017 I expect a world series visit.

I don't think you can buy tickets to the 2017 World Series yet :-k

:outtahere:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-26-2015, 01:43 PM
The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/ZEsQ11z.jpg

FORT MYERS, Fla. — David Ortiz has a deliberate routine at the plate.

He sounded prepared to pay for it.

"I might run out of money," Ortiz said during a colorful rant Wednesday about the new pace-of-play rule requiring hitters to keep at least one foot in the batter's box in some instances.

Ortiz said he felt this provision, announced last week, unfairly targeted hitters. One of the more radical alterations discussed, a limit on the number of seconds between pitches, was not implemented.

"I'm not going to change my game," the Boston designated hitter said. "I don't care what they say."

Major League Baseball can dock him, starting May 1, up to $500 per offense. Penalties were limited to warnings and fines, rather than allowing umpires to call strikes.

Another part of the initiative agreed to by MLB and the players' association will be the installation of clocks in stadiums to limit the length of pitching changes and between-innings breaks. Managers, too, are no longer required to leave the dugout to request video reviews.

In his first remarks to reporters since arriving at spring training, Ortiz said he wasn't aware of the batter's box rule.

"So after the pitch, you've got to stay in the box, basically?" he said, incredulously.

Yes, with one foot, unless there has just been a foul ball, wild pitch or other specified reason.

"One foot?" Ortiz said.

Yes, to speed up the game.

Ortiz then used a profanity to describe his reaction to the rule.

"When you come out of the box, you're thinking about what a guy's trying to do," he continued. "This is not like we go to the plate with an empty mind. No, no, no. When you see guys pitch coming out of the box, we're not doing it just for doing it. Our mind is speeding up. I saw one pitch, when I come out, I'm thinking, `What is this guy going to try to do to me next?' I'm not walking around just because there's cameras all over the place and I want my buddies back home to see me and this and that."

Ortiz blamed pitchers for wasting more time than hitters.

"How about the guy on the mound who goes like this for three hours?" he said, shaking his head back and forth to mimic the act of shaking off a sign.

Toronto's R.A. Dickey, one of the faster-working pitchers in the major leagues, said he loved the new rules.

"Bring on the pitch clock. Bring on whatever. I like it, because it makes the hitter feel uncomfortable," the 2012 NL Cy Young Award winner said. "I'm already fast, so it's only going to put more pressure on the hitter that has to get in the box and get ready before his routine. If you've got some guys who have a very deliberate routine -- (Robinson) Cano and Ortiz and others that have a very deliberate routine ... they're going to have to speed up a little bit and that may take just this much out of their game. You know, that could be a enough to get a pop out instead of a home run sometimes. I'm great with it."

Manager John Farrell stressed the importance of letting the new rules play out for a season.

"Anytime a game is played a certain way for as many years as it has, an adjustment is going to have some growing pains associated to it," Farrell said. "But I think as long as everyone is aware of what the attention is and what we're trying to get to, maybe those growing pains become less frustrating."

The 39-year-old Ortiz had an .873 on-base-plus-slugging percentage last season, still a robust number for almost any player in the majors but his second-lowest since joining the Red Sox in 2003. He hit 35 home runs with 104 RBI in 142 games, which is exactly what they've paid him to do.

Ortiz is set to make $16 million in 2015. His contract includes a $10 million club option for 2016 that could escalate to $16 million and become guaranteed, with the same provisions for 2017 based on plate appearances and passing a team physical exam.

As for how much longer he's planning on playing?

"You guys asked the same question to Tom Brady last year," Ortiz said, adding with a smile: "We are like the wine. Remember that."

Brady recently quarterbacked the New England Patriots to a fourth Super Bowl title. That's one more championship ring than Ortiz has received with the Red Sox.

"That's my motivation now," he said.

Ortiz, who is 34 home runs short of 500, wasn't ready to reflect on his legacy yet.

"Once you start thinking about that you're thinking about stopping," he said.

Ortiz acknowledged the need to conserve energy at his age, gaining more fuel from his mind these days than his body. He didn't sound like the end of his career was near, though, with "no date" or "no time" or "no years" to measure his track toward retirement.

"I signed a contract last year that basically tells me as long as you do what you're doing and keep on helping us out, you're going to play," Ortiz said, adding: "I need to have that anger. I need to have that cockiness when I'm playing. I need to be who I am. ... When that goes away, I guess it's time to go away, too."

DemonGeminiX
02-26-2015, 01:57 PM
I have a feeling strikeouts will be up in this coming season.

DemonGeminiX
03-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Spring training league play is in full swing.

DemonGeminiX
04-04-2015, 01:58 PM
The Cubs' home opener is Sunday night against Saint Louis, then regular season gates break open for the rest of the league on Monday.

Boston @ Philadelphia 3:05pm Monday. Buchholz vs Hamels.

Either the Phillies are gonna rise up and do unexpectedly well, or they're gonna have one of the shittiest seasons in Philly history. I'm betting on the latter.

RBP
04-04-2015, 10:25 PM
Very excited about this year's baseball season. I haven't been enthused in several years.

Although... I bet Wrigley looks like shit tomorrow night. :facepalm: Construction is way behind. No bleachers and a motherfucking Jumbotron. There's now a Jumbotron at Wrigley fucking Field. You cocksuckers. Blasphemy on Easter Sunday!!

You better win now.

RBP
04-04-2015, 10:31 PM

Yes, a lot of things have to go right. That article is looking for things in the shadows.

I have zero concerns about Bryant, other than the dumbass cry baby shit he pulled this week. But he's a stud and he'll be fine in 2 weeks when they bring him up.

I have a lighter higher expectations than Shady. I'm going in expecting a wild card this year, but I agree that if they aren't damn close to the big show by 2017, I'll kill the goat myself.

DemonGeminiX
04-06-2015, 02:59 AM
Doesn't look like the Cubs are getting off on the right foot.

RBP
04-06-2015, 03:22 AM
Based on tonight....

Jon Lester = Jay Cutler

Soler can neither hit nor field

No Cubs catcher can make a throw to 2nd, which doesn't matter because no Cubs infielder can catch the fucking throw anyway.

Ugh. Mistake after mistake.

But yay, we have a fucking Jumbotron! :|

Lastly. ESPN has reinvented the hockey blue line puck tracking debacle with the always on strike box. Fuck you. I am not a moron.

DemonGeminiX
04-06-2015, 06:30 AM
If it makes you feel any better, the Phillies have been picked by a bunch of sports columnists to have the worst record in baseball this year.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Buncha whiners [-(

The Sox haven't won the World Series since 2013, you don't hear me complaining about my team :hand:

RBP
04-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Buncha whiners [-(

The Sox haven't won the World Series since 2013, you don't hear me complaining about my team :hand:

:slap:

DemonGeminiX
04-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Yep, it's gonna be a looooong season. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-06-2015, 09:53 PM
Undefeated season so far! :cheers:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-06-2015, 10:18 PM
Rockies and BoSox both win today with a combined score of 18-0 8-)

DemonGeminiX
04-06-2015, 10:42 PM
[-(

Don't get cocky.

RBP
04-07-2015, 12:32 AM
I said they weren't ready...

"An Absolute Shit Show": Tales From The Wrigley Field Bathroom Lines

http://deadspin.com/an-absolute-shit-show-tales-from-the-wrigley-field-b-1695920768

Teh One Who Knocks
04-07-2015, 10:25 AM
[-(

Don't get cocky.

:hand:

Based on the calculations after the 1st game of the season, the Rockies and Red Sox will both go 162-0 and score a combined total of 2916 runs with both having a team ERA of 0.00 :thumbsup:

RBP
04-07-2015, 11:08 AM

Based on the calculations after the 1st game of the season, the Rockies and Red Sox will both go 162-0 and score a combined total of 2916 runs with both having a team ERA of 0.00 :thumbsup:

Science and Math don't lie.

DemonGeminiX
04-07-2015, 02:44 PM

:nono:

You're gonna regret it.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Did you see what RBP said? :-s

DemonGeminiX
04-07-2015, 02:50 PM

Keep it up. Karma's a bitch.

RBP
04-07-2015, 03:02 PM

Teh One Who Knocks
04-07-2015, 03:08 PM

Keep it up. Karma's a bitch.

Statistics don't lie :hand:

DemonGeminiX
04-07-2015, 03:31 PM
You'll be sorry.

[-(

Teh One Who Knocks
04-07-2015, 03:47 PM
If there's some anomaly and they both finish at 161-1 I won't be disappointed :nono:

RBP
04-07-2015, 05:08 PM
If there's some anomaly and they both finish at 161-1 I won't be disappointed :nono:
Maybe a really bad umpire call.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-07-2015, 05:23 PM

Exactly :agreed:

DemonGeminiX
04-07-2015, 05:33 PM

[-(

Don't encourage him.

Oofty Goofty
04-10-2015, 02:01 PM
If it makes you feel any better, the Phillies have been picked by a bunch of sports columnists to have the worst record in baseball this year.
:nono: My Rangers are going to have something to say about who has the worst record in baseball.

DemonGeminiX
04-10-2015, 04:23 PM
Well, scratch Boston's perfect record. We took one game in the series.

DemonGeminiX
04-10-2015, 04:24 PM
:nono: My Rangers are going to have something to say about who has the worst record in baseball.

Gonna be that bad, eh?

Oofty Goofty
04-12-2015, 04:05 AM

Gonna be that bad, eh?

A buddy of mine in Jersey is a big Phillies fan. We've got a bet on who's team will end up with the worst season record. We're both betting for our team to be the worst.

RBP
04-12-2015, 11:31 PM
Dexter Fowler fucks his former Rockies teammates with a 2-out 2-run homer to right!

Go Cubs Go! :cheerlead:

RBP
04-14-2015, 03:38 AM
Go Cubs Go! :cheerlead:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-14-2015, 03:09 PM
Cubs fans are so cute in the early spring :giggle:

DemonGeminiX
04-14-2015, 04:18 PM
The Cubs are 4 - 2 and on top of their division. Colorado and Boston are both 5 - 2 and are both on top of their divisions. Philly's 3 - 4 and in the middle of their division.

KC is undefeated right now @ 7 - 0. Atlanta and Detroit both have the second best records right now @ 6 - 1.

Texas is 3 - 5 and in last place in their division.

RBP
04-14-2015, 05:18 PM
:nutkick:

First time in 6 years I have been able to say "the first place Chicago Cubs!" :woot:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-14-2015, 05:44 PM
I guess when you haven't won the World Series in 107 years, the little things do tend to make you happy :-k

RBP
04-15-2015, 03:57 AM
I guess when you haven't won the World Series in 107 years, the little things do tend to make you happy :-k

I can't argue that. :lol:

RBP
04-15-2015, 03:57 AM
http://i.imgur.com/uguZ2ow.gif

Teh One Who Knocks
04-15-2015, 10:36 AM
I can't argue that. :lol:

:dance:

deebakes
04-17-2015, 02:45 AM
looks like the twins season is over already :unimpressed:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2015, 12:38 PM
Rockies 6-0 start on the road is the best in franchise history :-k

deebakes
04-17-2015, 01:28 PM
there's always 2016 :woot:

DemonGeminiX
04-17-2015, 03:12 PM
Rockies 6-0 start on the road is the best in franchise history :-k

Too bad they suck at home.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2015, 03:14 PM
2nd best record in baseball right now :hand:

DemonGeminiX
04-17-2015, 03:31 PM
2nd best record in baseball right now :hand:

And 1 - 2 at home. This may be premature but half of the season's played at home. I don't care how good you are on the road, if you can't win at home, you're not going anywhere.

FBD
04-19-2015, 02:57 PM
http://www.futilitycloset.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/2015-04-16-the-bird-cage.png

In the 1870s baseball catchers played bare-faced, routinely suffering broken noses and teeth; to protect themselves they stood two dozen feet behind the batter, which prevented the pitcher from throwing his best pitches. Finally Fred Winthrop Thayer, captain of Harvard’s team, invented a “Safety-Mask for Base-Ball Players” to minimize the damage.

“It is not an unfrequent occurrence in the game of base-ball for a player to be severely injured in the face by a ball thrown against it,” he wrote in the patent application. “With my face-guard such an accident cannot happen.”

When catcher Jim Tyng first wore Thayer’s mask on April 12, 1877, it was roundly derided. Spectators yelled “Mad dog!” and “Muzzle ‘em!”, and opposing players greeted Tyng with “good natured though somewhat derisive pity.” The Portland, Maine, Sunday Telegram wrote, “There is a great deal of beastly humbug in contrivances to protect men from things which do not happen. There is about as much sense in putting a lightning rod on a catcher as there is a mask.”

Catchers finally submitted when sportwriter Henry Chadwick faulted their “moral courage.” “Plucky enough to face the dangerous fire of balls from the swift pitcher,” he wrote, “they tremble before the remarks of the small boys of the crowd of spectators, and prefer to run the risk of broken cheek bones, dislocated jaws, a smashed nose or blackened eyes, than stand the chaff of the fools in the assemblage.”

Today Thayer’s Harvard mask is in the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

I've got 6 stitches that agrees, its not a good idea as the day winds down :lol:

Oofty Goofty
04-25-2015, 12:15 AM
Reports are running wild here in DFW that the Angels are close to trading Josh Hamilton back to the Rangers. WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY THINKING!!!!! Rangers GM Jon Daniels hasn't done one good thing since Nolan Ryan left, and now he wants to bring back this dumb ass coke-head!

RBP
04-29-2015, 12:51 AM
Orioles-White Sox at Camden Yards on Wednesday closed to public

really? I hope it's televised. MLB has some balls making them go in there.

http://i.imgur.com/g67W6MI.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2015, 10:37 AM
MLB has some balls making them go in there.

Wouldn't be much of a game if they didn't bring the balls :dunno:

DemonGeminiX
04-29-2015, 11:02 AM

They've got official balls at Walmart. They could send somebody out to get a bucket or two of balls really quick and it would be game on.

RBP
04-29-2015, 11:10 AM
Wouldn't be much of a game if they didn't bring the balls :dunno:

:rimshot:

RBP
05-15-2015, 11:53 PM
Polanco goes full derp!

http://i.imgur.com/shZ45sJ.gif

Cubs win their 5th straight!! :woot: :cheerlead:

DemonGeminiX
05-21-2015, 09:37 PM
Check out the Astros. They finally woke up.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-22-2015, 10:28 AM
<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=124976883&width=720&height=403&property=mlb' width='720' height='403' frameborder='0'></iframe>

Holy shit, Bumgarner CRUSHED a pitch of Kershaw yesterday :lol:

DemonGeminiX
07-25-2015, 11:17 PM
Man, a no hitter one week before the trade deadline. See ya, Cole. Thanks for the years of service. :(

RBP
07-26-2015, 09:42 PM
Man, a no hitter one week before the trade deadline. See ya, Cole. Thanks for the years of service. :(

And a blowout today. :|

DemonGeminiX
07-27-2015, 12:37 AM
Well, you gotta figure, the Phillies are out of playoff contention so the pressure's off. They can just go out there and play for the hell of it. :idk:

RBP
07-27-2015, 01:57 AM
Well, you gotta figure, the Phillies are out of playoff contention so the pressure's off. They can just go out there and play for the hell of it. :idk:

Heard any rumors about Hamels' destination?

DemonGeminiX
07-27-2015, 02:44 AM
Rumors have included your Cubs, the Yankees, the Rangers, and the Dodgers. Lately, it seems that Texas is really interested and sources say they're the front runners. Of course, no one will really know until a deal is made. The Phillies are looking for top prospects and Cole's contract is pretty big compared to other SPs on the market. It's entirely possible he won't move at all. Personally, I think he's gone.

RBP
07-27-2015, 02:57 AM
Man, I would love for the Cubs to land him. They need one more stud starter, imho.

DemonGeminiX
07-27-2015, 03:33 AM
Everybody in contention needs SPs. Your bats need to come alive if you're gonna make a serious run. Especially with Pittsburgh and St. Louis doing so well right now. You could give the Pirates a good run for the wild card. I don't see the Cards falling apart any time soon.

RBP
07-27-2015, 03:42 AM
Oh no, the Cards are out of reach. i am hoping they make the wild card game, that's all.

DemonGeminiX
07-27-2015, 03:49 AM
On the flip side, KC seems to be doing really well. Which is cool by me, because they're usually a fun team to watch. At least they have been the past several years.

deebakes
07-27-2015, 03:53 AM
go twins :sad2:

DemonGeminiX
07-27-2015, 03:59 AM
According to the standings, the Twins are doing well. I haven't seen much of them on TV but I'll keep an eye out for them.

deebakes
07-27-2015, 04:02 AM
they had a great month a little while ago, really climbed up the standings. wild-card? :pray:

DemonGeminiX
07-27-2015, 04:06 AM
They're in position to win their division's wild card. They're not too far behind KC, they could put up a run for the division if they turn it on and KC stumbles. Detroit's not too far behind them. Right now, it's close in the division. There's a ton of games left and a lot can happen.

DemonGeminiX
07-27-2015, 11:46 PM
The Angels grabbed Shane Victorino from the Red Sox for Josh Rutledge. The Sox also send cash.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-28-2015, 10:24 AM
:woot: The Rockies are gonna start rebuilding again! :woot:

For about the 18th time in their 20 year history :|

DemonGeminiX
07-28-2015, 04:55 PM
It happens. Sometimes you've got great players, but they're just not enough to get it done.

DemonGeminiX
07-29-2015, 04:07 AM
Papelsmear's been traded to the Nats for a double A pitcher.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-29-2015, 04:05 PM

I may have been a tad off on my prediction this year :-k

DemonGeminiX
07-29-2015, 08:53 PM

Just a little.

RBP
07-30-2015, 12:45 AM
I hate, despise, did I say HATE, the jumobotrons at Wrigley.

Fucking constant commercials. :x

DemonGeminiX
07-30-2015, 02:51 AM
Cole Hamels is being traded to Texas. The deal's being finalized.

DemonGeminiX
07-30-2015, 04:12 AM
Can't believe I missed this one: Blue Jays acquire SS Troy Tulowitzki and RHP LaTroy Hawkins from Colorado for SS Jose Reyes and RHPs Miguel Castro, Jeff Hoffman and Jesus Tinoco.

That's a big ass trade.

Any thoughts, Lance? :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2015, 10:41 AM
Can't believe I missed this one: Blue Jays acquire SS Troy Tulowitzki and RHP LaTroy Hawkins from Colorado for SS Jose Reyes and RHPs Miguel Castro, Jeff Hoffman and Jesus Tinoco.

That's a big ass trade.

Any thoughts, Lance? :-k

:woot: The Rockies are gonna start rebuilding again! :woot:

For about the 18th time in their 20 year history :|

What did you think this post was about? :-k

DemonGeminiX
07-30-2015, 10:43 AM
I didn't see the trade before. Jose Reyes is no slouch but they were right to get the extras for Tulowitzki. Honestly, I wouldn't be happy either, but what can you do?

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2015, 10:50 AM
Tulo had become a whiner the longer he was here, even though in his rookie season they went to the World Series and then back to the playoffs a couple of years later, he has been whining about the losing that has happened the last 3 or 4 years which has seen the Rox come close to losing 100 games each year. He's a phenomenal fielder and the best hitting SS in the game....when he's healthy, but that's the rub, dude is always hurt, with some of the years he's been here missing significant portions of the seasons.

I dunno, the trade looks dumb and like a salary dump to me. Although their salaries are comparable right now, Tulo is owed a lot more long term. And most of the guys on local sports radio think the Rox are just gonna flip Reyes now.

DemonGeminiX
07-30-2015, 10:57 AM
The weirdest thing about the trade is that the Blue Jays needed pitching badly. They're not hurting for hitting, they're the highest scoring team in the league. They got a reliever in the deal, but he's nothing to write home about. The salary dump is really the only thing that makes any sense.

I've seen some speculation about Reyes going back to the Mets, but I seriously doubt it.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2015, 12:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSLNl2_tHNU

This put out in the 9th inning of the KC/Cleveland game on Tuesday night was amazing

DemonGeminiX
07-30-2015, 09:13 PM
Not exactly an unassisted triple play, but good play nonetheless. :tup:

deebakes
07-30-2015, 10:49 PM
The weirdest thing about the trade is that the Blue Jays needed pitching badly. They're not hurting for hitting, they're the highest scoring team in the league. They got a reliever in the deal, but he's nothing to write home about. The salary dump is really the only thing that makes any sense.

I've seen some speculation about Reyes going back to the Mets, but I seriously doubt it.

does david price then fit their needs? :-k

DemonGeminiX
07-30-2015, 11:53 PM
:lol: Missed that one too. Yep, he'll do.

MrsM
07-31-2015, 01:20 PM
does david price then fit their needs? :-k

I think we have a pretty good pitching staff now :)

DemonGeminiX
07-31-2015, 10:34 PM
Toronto could make a decent run this year after these moves.

RBP
07-31-2015, 11:32 PM
The Cubs acquired veteran pitcher Dan Haren from the Miami Marlins. Haren, 34, who can become a free agent after this season, is 7-7 with a 3.42 ERA with a 1.093 WHIP in 21 starts. Haren has made at least 30 starts in each of his past 10 seasons with Oakland, Arizona, the Los Angeles Angels, Washington and the Dodgers.

And the Dodgers are paying his salary. :giggle:

DemonGeminiX
08-01-2015, 12:49 AM
You have your ace. Haren, despite his current numbers, is a damn good pitcher. :tup:

RBP
08-01-2015, 03:05 AM
I saw Lester finally pitch like Lester Wednesday. It was glorious.

DemonGeminiX
08-01-2015, 11:44 PM
So who's gonna go on waivers?

:-k

Teh One Who Knocks
08-10-2015, 11:50 AM
So, the Jays have won 8 in a row and 11 of 12 to pull 1-1/2 games behind the Yankees

RBP
08-12-2015, 11:40 PM

63-48 and on a fucking tear. Hottest team in the national league right now. HERE ME ROAR, MOTHERFUCKER!!

RBP
08-13-2015, 03:16 AM
make that 64-48. ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
08-13-2015, 10:28 AM
63-48 and on a fucking tear. Hottest team in the national league right now. HERE ME ROAR, MOTHERFUCKER!!

make that 64-48. ;)

8-1/2 games out of 1st place and in third place in their division :-s

Yeah, that's impressive :tup:

:sarcasm:

RBP
08-13-2015, 11:05 AM
8-1/2 games out of 1st place and in third place in their division :-s

Yeah, that's impressive :tup:

Which also happens to be the 3rd highest winning percentage in the National League and the 4th highest in all of MLB.

Very impressive, indeed.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-13-2015, 11:32 AM
Don't get your hopes up for nothing and make me have to tell you 'I told you so' in September/October :nono:

DemonGeminiX
08-13-2015, 04:08 PM
So, the Jays have won 8 in a row and 11 of 12 to pull 1-1/2 games behind the Yankees

Articles are claiming that they're the new World Series favorites.

MrsM
08-13-2015, 04:25 PM

I believe it's 10 straight now and 1st in the division :dance:

MrsM
08-13-2015, 04:26 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/2dw7pet.jpg

DemonGeminiX
08-13-2015, 04:31 PM
I'm not the biggest Blue Jays fan (1993 :axe:), but it would be really nice to see somebody aside from the usual suspects get to the Big Show.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-13-2015, 04:36 PM

:serious:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-13-2015, 04:36 PM
I'm not the biggest Blue Jays fan (1993 :axe:), but it would be really nice to see somebody aside from the usual suspects get to the Big Show.

http://i.imgur.com/Sxwxt95.jpg

8-[

DemonGeminiX
08-13-2015, 04:46 PM

What are the betting odds on the Blue Jays winning the World Series, Lance? :-k

RBP
08-13-2015, 04:56 PM
15-2

http://www.vegasinsider.com/mlb/odds/futures/

Teh One Who Knocks
08-13-2015, 04:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jpnxZPs.png

The have the Jays as the favorites now (Bovada Sports Book)

RBP
08-14-2015, 04:04 AM
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="nh2E1Ex"><a href="//imgur.com/nh2E1Ex">08/12/15: Initially ruled out of play, overturned for the out! Go Cubs Go!</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>...

RBP
08-14-2015, 04:06 AM
9-2 with 5 HR's today. :woot:

These guys are killing it. 7 game undefeated home stand. 12 wins in last 13 games.

RBP
08-14-2015, 04:26 AM
2013. Rizzo loves the tarp. :lol:

<iframe class="imgur-embed" width="100%" height="404" frameborder="0" src="http://i.imgur.com/QACkiXF.gifv#embed"></iframe>...

DemonGeminiX
08-20-2015, 04:00 AM
Aww, man... the Phillies have traded 2B Chase Utley to the LA Dodgers for 2 prospects. Who's left from the '08 World Series winning squad? Chooch, Howard, and that's it.

Thanks for the years of service and giving 110% whenever you were on the field, Chase. You were my favorite. As the late, great Harry Kalas once exclaimed: "Chase Utley, you are the man!"

:(

RBP
08-20-2015, 04:13 AM
JFC. 15 runs on 21 hits... in one game? :shock:

Fuck you Lance, this is NOT "I told you so"!!! :x

DemonGeminiX
08-20-2015, 05:14 AM

Bad night?

RBP
08-20-2015, 05:31 AM
kinda. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-20-2015, 10:26 AM
JFC. 15 runs on 21 hits... in one game? :shock:

Fuck you Lance, this is NOT "I told you so"!!! :x

:giggle:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-20-2015, 10:27 AM
http://i.imgur.com/aRxnwt9.jpg

deebakes
08-20-2015, 11:48 PM

RBP
08-21-2015, 12:11 AM
http://i.imgur.com/aRxnwt9.jpg

In Chicago, it's just called "Fall".

RBP
08-21-2015, 12:12 AM

Don't encourage him. :slap:

deebakes
08-21-2015, 03:37 AM
sorry, it was funny :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-21-2015, 10:28 AM

RBP
08-21-2015, 11:03 AM
The boys are back! :woot:

RBP
08-26-2015, 03:52 AM
Man! My Cubbies are playing lights out. HR machines!!

deebakes
08-26-2015, 03:53 AM
:rip: goat

deebakes
08-26-2015, 03:53 AM
:rip: bartman

RBP
08-26-2015, 04:39 AM
yes they are both dead... we can move on. :woot:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-26-2015, 10:51 AM
yes they are both dead... we can move on. :woot:

Top 10 Longest Championship Droughts in North American Pro Sports

10. San Diego Chargers – 51 Years

http://i.imgur.com/G6gsqIS.jpg

The peak of the Super Chargers’ powers came during the Air Coryell days of 1979 through 1982. The Chargers, behind a high flying passing attack, won three straight AFC West titles. Then, the bottom dropped out after 1982, resulting in nine straight years without a postseason appearance.

The Chargers’ return to prominence came in 1994, which resulted in their lone Super Bowl appearance. However, the monkey was off of Steve Young’s back and not San Diego’s in what was a 49-26 loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

9. Texas Rangers – 53 Years

http://i.imgur.com/sxskJFS.jpg

In the 53-year history of the Texas Rangers franchise, the club has made two trips to the Fall Classic, the most exciting of which was their second of back-to-back trips to the World Series in 2011. The Rangers came within one strike of claiming their first title in game six. However, Cardinals third baseman David Freese came through with a game-tying triple in the 9th inning and the game winning home run in the 11th. The Rangers were denied ultimate glory, dropping game seven to St. Louis.

8. Tennessee Titans – 53 Years

http://i.imgur.com/PuEDBKN.jpg

The former Houston Oilers won the 1960 and the 1961 AFL championships. Post-1970 AFL-NFL merger, the franchise has reached the title game once in 44 years. Since then, the team has departed the Lone Star State for Music City. The miraculous hook and ladder in the 1998 AFC Wild Card game against the Buffalo Bills is indelible. So is the image of Kevin Dyson’s outstretched arm, two yards away from glory in the closing seconds of Super Bowl XXXIV. Winless in the postseason since 2002, the Titans have been mired in the bottom of the AFC South for much of the last decade.

7. Philadelphia Eagles – 54 Years

http://i.imgur.com/yP5O4jT.jpg

Eagles fans are often media targets, especially when their team is not playing well. The legend of snowballs being hurled at Santa Claus is go-to ammunition for pundits. 54 years without a championship would make anyone cranky. Two Super Bowl appearances, coupled with a total of four conference title game losses only add to the angst.

The peak of frustration came in the 2004 Super Bowl against the New England Patriots. The agonizingly methodical pace by which the Eagles offense worked in the 4th quarter down 24-14 is a sore spot for this fan base and is the lasting memory many will have of the Andy Reid era. Flash forward to 2014 and the Eagles are lauded for their breakneck offensive speed. Time will tell if this is missing piece to the championship puzzle.

6. Atlanta Hawks – 56 Years

http://i.imgur.com/ZK9vJ9M.jpg

Since winning the 1958 NBA title, the Hawks have been one of the most consistent playoff participants in the league. However, that consistency has been met with more than a half century of disappointment. Just getting into the tournament has not been enough to soften the blows of defeat. 39 trips to the postseason in 56 years is an impressive ratio. However, the Hawks last advanced to at least the conference finals in 1970.

5. Detroit Lions – 57 Years

http://i.imgur.com/o8oB4mA.jpg

Before the days of becoming the laughing stock of football, the Detroit Lions were a proud franchise. The 1950s were their greatest era, winning three NFL titles in six years. After backup quarterback Tobin Rote led the Lions to the title, injured starter Bobby Layne was unceremoniously traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the offseason. After delivering two NFL titles, the disgruntled Layne was rumored to have said that the Lions “would not win for 50 years” on the day that he was dealt. 55 years and one playoff win later, the Curse of Bobby Layne is paying extra dividends at the expense of Lions fans.

4. Sacramento Kings – 63 Years

http://i.imgur.com/KKiXs2j.jpg

It has been 63 years since the Sacramento Kings have been NBA royalty. The former Rochester Royals won the NBA championship in 1951 in seven games over the New York Knicks. A pattern of failure to retain star players led the franchise down the path to mediocrity.

Despite bringing future hall of famer Oscar Robertson into the fold in 1960, the decade was wrought with close, but no cigar playoff finishes. Eventually, Robertson’s name would be added to the list of castoffs from the Royals franchise. Robertson was traded to the Milwaukee Bucks in 1970, and, in a cruel twist of fate, won the NBA title that year.

Hopping from Kansas City, where they became the Kings, to Sacramento, the franchise has been in search of the glory days ever since. The Kings’ resurgence from 1998 to 2006 was highlighted by a trip to the Western Conference Finals in 2002, which they dropped in six games to the Los Angeles Lakers. Sacramento last saw a winning season in 2006.

3. Cleveland Indians – 66 Years

http://i.imgur.com/8HtfE9q.jpg

Since winning their last world championship in 1948, the Cleveland Indians are synonymous with the word, slump. From 1960 to 1993, the club only managed a best finish of third place once. Other than that, the club inhabited the bottom of the standings for much of those thirty three years. The perpetual losing made the franchise an easy mark for the “Major League” movie franchise.

Cleveland returned to the Fall Classic in 1995, losing to the Atlanta Braves. Since then, the closest the club came to a return trip was the 2007 American League Championship Series, losing to the eventual world champion Boston Red Sox.

2. Arizona Cardinals – 67 Years

http://i.imgur.com/cCZ900H.jpg

Being the oldest continuously run NFL franchise, you are bound to accumulate an exorbitant amount of losses. Going strong since 1898, the Cardinals have migrated from Chicago to St. Louis and, finally, to their current nest in Arizona. In 1925, the Chicago iteration won their first NFL Championship. However, their first title was not won in a head to head championship. The Pottsville Maroons, who were suspended by NFL commissioner Joseph Carr for playing in an unapproved game against the University of Notre Dame All-Stars, claimed to be the rightful champions. The Maroons not only had the best record in the NFL, but beat the Cardinals that year, too.

The first true championship won by the Cardinals came in 1947. Since then, the franchise has endured six decades of losing seasons and the longest championship drought among active NFL franchises. In the 67 years since their last title, the Cardinals have won a total of six playoff games. Half of those victories came in 2009 en route to Arizona’s lone Super Bowl appearance, a loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII.

1. Chicago Cubs – 106 Years

http://i.imgur.com/VILI2Y7.jpg

Curses are supposed to haunt the cursed until the day they pass on. In the case of the Chicago Cubs franchise, whatever bad mojo that has been working against them for 106 years is of the ultra-strength variety. It seems that no amount of cleansing practices will ever get rid of the mark of the “Lovable Losers” from the head of the Cubs.

Lost in the shuffle of all of the losses are the years 1929 through 1938 in which Chicago won the National League pennant every three years for a total of four NL titles. In 1945, the Cubs made the World Series once again, but the prophetic words of Billy Sianis live on to this day: “The Cubs, they ain’t gonna win no more.” Sianis, the fan ejected from Wrigley Field after refusing to remove his goat from the ballpark, is believed to be the source of the infamous Curse of the Billy Goat. For the next two decades, the Cubs were the bottom feeders of the National League.

No overview of the Cubs’ uncanny misfortune would be complete without the Bartman game, or as it is officially known, the 2003 National League Championship Series game number six. However, minutes after the infamous moment occurred, Cubs shortstop Alex Gonzalez’s error on a surefire inning-ending double play proved to be the killer. After eight Florida Marlin runs in the eighth inning, post-Bartman and Gonzalez flubs, the Cubs went on to drop both games six and seven. Thus, another curse was etched into the Cubs’ long legacy of losers.

RBP
08-26-2015, 11:12 AM
We're Number 1! :woot:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-26-2015, 11:13 AM
We're Number 1! :woot:

:facepalm:

:snapout:

RBP
08-26-2015, 11:20 AM
Rockies 50-74
Red Sox 57-69

:empathy:

Cubs 73-51

Teh One Who Knocks
08-26-2015, 11:23 AM
Do I have to post how many World Series titles the Red Sox have won recently? :nono:

RBP
08-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Do I have to post how many World Series titles the Red Sox have won recently? :nono:
No just post how many Theo Epstein won. :woot:

RBP
08-31-2015, 03:22 AM
Jake Arrieta throws a no hitter.

I'll be in my bunk. :wank:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-31-2015, 10:34 AM
Nolan Ryan threw 7 of them and he was a barely above .500 pitcher so :dunno:

RBP
08-31-2015, 11:30 AM
Nolan Ryan threw 7 of them and he was a barely above .500 pitcher so :dunno:

It was fun to watch. :tup:

DemonGeminiX
08-31-2015, 05:38 PM
That's because Nolan Ryan was a great pitcher, despite his record. A no hitter is hard to get.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-01-2015, 01:51 PM
He was overrated :hand:

DemonGeminiX
09-01-2015, 06:05 PM

7 no hitters isn't overrated.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-01-2015, 06:11 PM
I say it is, so :nana:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-01-2015, 06:12 PM
Roger Clemens has 7 Cy Young Awards, does that make him awesome too? :-s

DemonGeminiX
09-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Regardless whether you feel he cheated or not (which I believe he did), the stats don't lie. The man is third on the all time strikeouts list with 4672, he was an all-star 11 times, he has 354 all-time wins, a lifetime ERA of 3.12, he got the pitching triple crown twice, and he helped the Yankees win 2 World Series titles.

The MLB liked him enough to put him on their All-Century team, even though he's a piece of shit.

All of that is the mark of an awesome pitcher, even if he's a shitty human being.

DemonGeminiX
09-01-2015, 10:43 PM
I still don't get how all of these steroid junkies can get a slap on the wrist yet they still won't reinstate Pete Rose.

:dunno:

deebakes
09-01-2015, 11:12 PM
:idk:

RBP
09-01-2015, 11:58 PM
I still don't get how all of these steroid junkies can get a slap on the wrist yet they still won't reinstate Pete Rose.

:dunno:

The new ledger showing he was betting while a player after repeated strong denials may have played a part. :lol:

DemonGeminiX
09-02-2015, 01:23 AM
The new ledger showing he was betting while a player after repeated strong denials may have played a part. :lol:

And that's more ban worthy than repeated denials by steroid junkie players after they're caught red-handed?

RBP
09-02-2015, 02:15 AM

And that's more ban worthy than repeated denials by steroid junkie players after they're caught red-handed?

I wasn't really comparing, just saying his situation got worse.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Regardless whether you feel he cheated or not (which I believe he did), the stats don't lie. The man is third on the all time strikeouts list with 4672, he was an all-star 11 times, he has 354 all-time wins, a lifetime ERA of 3.12, he got the pitching triple crown twice, and he helped the Yankees win 2 World Series titles.

The MLB liked him enough to put him on their All-Century team, even though he's a piece of shit.

All of that is the mark of an awesome pitcher, even if he's a shitty human being.

I fully believe he cheated, it's obvious looking at how he bulked up when steroid use became all the rage, just like when you look at Barry Bonds. And because Clemens cheated, that negates everything he did on the field, at least after he started using. And the sad thing is, just like with Bonds, Clemens didn't need to cheat. he was a great pitcher before the steroids. It's a shame that he had to taint everything he did by cheating. And because he cheated, he is NOT a great player and doesn't deserve the accolades. He needs an asterisk by his stats, just like Bonds does and Sosa, and McGwire do.

I will agree with you on one thing though, he definitely is a piece of shit.

RBP
09-13-2015, 04:13 AM
Wow. The Cardinals are within striking distance. I never thought it would get this tight.

20-21 games to go and they all play each other. This is going to be fun. I have Cub Cardinal tickets for next Sunday.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ehxmck.png

RBP
09-23-2015, 03:18 AM
Cubs Magic Number for a playoff spot: http://i.imgur.com/21fjElP.jpg?1

Jake Arrieta became MLB's first 20-game winner of the 2015 season as the Cubs beat the Brewers 4-0 at Wrigley. Jake is the Cubs' first 20-game winner since Jon Lieber's masterful 2001 season on the North Side. Arrieta's line: CG, 9 IP, 11 K, 0 ER. The guy is nails! Kris Bryant had a big night at the plate, going 2-for-4 with a 2-run HR and 3 RBI, and Kyle Schwarber went 2-for-3 with an RBI and 2 runs scored.

I'm about to pee myself with excitement. :oops:

DemonGeminiX
09-23-2015, 06:52 AM
Yogi Berra has died at age 90.

:rip:

Goofy
09-23-2015, 07:01 AM
Booboo will be heartbroken :(

RBP
09-26-2015, 12:05 PM

Don't get your hopes up for nothing and make me have to tell you 'I told you so' in September/October :nono:

CUBS MAGIC NUMBER:

http://i.imgur.com/rIZaZU3.jpg

:woot: :cheerlead:

Also the Cubs had a lottery for playoff tickets. Everyone I know got rejection emails, but one: ME!

http://i59.tinypic.com/674pib.png

Teh One Who Knocks
09-26-2015, 12:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6dBvzt5.jpg

RBP
09-26-2015, 12:24 PM
:nutkick: :axe: :fu:

That's like showing Holocaust pictures to a Jew. :sad2:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-26-2015, 12:26 PM

RBP
09-26-2015, 12:41 PM
This will be fun, Lance. I'll post pictures from the Cubs' NLDS game I go to and you can post pictures from the Red Sox and Rockies' games!

Oh wait... never mind.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2csb4t4.png

http://i58.tinypic.com/2d6l7c9.png

Teh One Who Knocks
09-26-2015, 12:43 PM
I know, it's gonna be tough again this winter for us BoSox fans, they haven't won the World Series in 2 years now, when will the drought end? :sad2:

RBP
09-26-2015, 12:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/BQsnPME.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
09-26-2015, 12:53 PM
I'll try and not be too harsh on you when the Cubs follow their usual SOP when managing to make the post season....getting eliminated :lol:

:daisy:

RBP
09-26-2015, 01:35 PM
I am just amped they did this well this year. Massive turn around. The rest is a bonus.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-26-2015, 01:42 PM
Do or do not, there is no try :nono:

DemonGeminiX
09-26-2015, 07:25 PM

CUBS MAGIC NUMBER:

http://i.imgur.com/rIZaZU3.jpg

:woot: :cheerlead:

Also the Cubs had a lottery for playoff tickets. Everyone I know got rejection emails, but one: ME!

http://i59.tinypic.com/674pib.png

Congrats, bro. :tup:

RBP
09-28-2015, 03:11 AM
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="Hl9xeu9"><a href="//imgur.com/Hl9xeu9">Favorite to win the World Series at the beginning of the year, 2nd half collapse, and within the last couple days... Jonathan Papelbon getting ejected for throwing at a player intentionally and 3 day suspension, eliminated from playoffs and watching Mets celebrate led to this</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>...

DemonGeminiX
09-28-2015, 05:09 AM
Papsmear's a douchebag.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-28-2015, 12:24 PM
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="Hl9xeu9"><a href="//imgur.com/Hl9xeu9">Favorite to win the World Series at the beginning of the year, 2nd half collapse, and within the last couple days... Jonathan Papelbon getting ejected for throwing at a player intentionally and 3 day suspension, eliminated from playoffs and watching Mets celebrate led to this</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>...

Papelbon, Harper explain their fight in Nationals dugout
Chase Hughes - CSN Mid Atlantic

Saturday night was supposed to be rock bottom for the Nationals. They were officially eliminated from playoff contention, thus putting to rest preseason expectations of a dominant team destined to win a World Series. But little did they know, just one day later matters would indeed get much, much worse.

Closer Jonathan Papelbon grabbed superstar Bryce Harper by the throat and drove him into the wall of the Nationals' dugout in Washington on Sunday in one of baseball's uglier incidents in recent years. The spat apparently began because Papelbon did not think Harper hustled his way to first on a flyout to right field in the eighth inning.

Harper walked back to the dugout as Papelbon stood on the top step and yelled at him. The two exchanged words before Papelbon took the incident to an unexpected level.

Both players described the fight as an isolated incident afterwards. Both players said it had nothing to do with Harper questioning Papelbon's decision to plunk Manny Machado in the team's game against the Orioles just days prior. Both players said it was simply a matter of tensions boiling over, of family members losing their cool.

Papelbon opened his discussion with reporters after the 12-5 loss with an apology and his explanation of what happened.

"First of all, I'll say I'm in the wrong there," he said. "You know, I grew up with brothers, he grew up with brothers. I view him as a brother of mine. Sometimes in this game there's a lot of testosterone and there's a lot of intensity that spills over and I think that happened today. For me, I can't allow that to happen in the middle of a game. You handle that after the games or allow the manager to handle that. In that light of it, I'm wrong."

Manager Matt Williams - who has come under fire this season for his team's underachievement - would not give much information on the matter whatsoever.

"Certainly there is a lot of testosterone flowing among young men competing. What I can tell you is this is a family issue and we’ll deal with it that way. There was an altercation in the dugout and we’ll leave it at that," he said.

Harper and Papelbon had a discussion before the media was allowed into the clubhouse and both players said they will be able to get over their differences.

"It was a good conversation that you need to have when the situations and the heat of the battle spills over," Papelbon said. "'Hey look, I'm wrong, you're right. You're right, I'm wrong.' Let's come back together and keep fighting together and come back next year and keep doing the same thing.' I think Bryce understands where I'm coming from and it's squashed and it's good and we're gonna move on."

"He apologized so whatever. I really don’t care," Harper added. "It’s like brothers fighting. That’s what happened. And hopefully move forward and do what I can for the next six days to have fun and play the game."

Papelbon, in fact, insists he and Harper's relationship will grow stronger from this incident. Papelbon is under contract for the 2016 season and, barring something unforeseen, will remain the team's closer for another year.

"We'll be good and we'll get better from this. I truly do think that we'll get better from this, our relationship will get better from this. Next year when we are in the thick of it and we are grinding together and big games mean something, we'll pick each other up," he said.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Papsmear's a douchebag.

Pretty sure that's why the Sox didn't make a bigger effort to keep him when he ended up leaving for the Phillies...and he wasn't nearly as bad as he is now (attitude-wise) back when he was with Boston.

RBP
09-29-2015, 03:07 AM
Wow. Cubs walk off HR in the bottom of the 11th in a scoreless game against KC.

And the Cardinals beat the Pirates.

I had considered the Cubs out of contention for hosting the wildcard... never considered STL sweeping in PIT. Man. This is going to be an interesting week.

Oh, and I totally fucked up on the playoff tickets. :facepalm:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-29-2015, 10:39 AM

:(

Teh One Who Knocks
09-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Not a good week for Papelbon....been suspended for the rest of the season, all his jerseys have been pulled from the Nats team stores and the fans have a petition pledging to donate money to a charity if the team cuts him.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-29-2015, 12:40 PM

Don't feel too bad, when the Rockies and Red Sox were both in the World Series, the Rockies fucked up the process of selling World Series tix so badly, that almost nobody got tickets except for ticket agents. So, most likely the only time I would have had a chance to see the Sox in the World Series (without having to travel and spend a buttload of money), the Rockies royally fucked it up for me. At least you live close to your favorite team and if they can keep the nucleus together, they should be able to make the playoffs for years to come :thumbsup:

RBP
09-29-2015, 03:14 PM
Hopefully. I didn't realize the lottery was so overdrawn that it would sell out in like 10 minutes. I had 2 seats and thought I could redraw for 2 more and ended up with none.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-30-2015, 12:34 PM
by Cameron McDonough - NESN

Apparently, the New York Yankees’ struggles carried over to one unfortunate fan Tuesday night. A man, who was sitting in the first row at Tuesday’s Yankees-Boston Red Sox matchup at Yankee Stadium, had not one, not two but three chances to catch a foul ball. The results? Well, embarrassment might be a good place to start. Take a look for yourself.

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=508346983&topic_id=6479266&width=600&height=336&property=mlb' width='600' height='336' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

That’s right, the fan failed to catch all three foul balls. He immediately became a social media sensation, although not exactly in the good kind of way. Regardless, it looks like he was a good sport about it, and he finally got a ball after fumbling the third try.

RBP
09-30-2015, 12:48 PM

If he were in the upper deck, she'd leave him. Front row... acceptable.

RBP
10-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Cubs Rookies. :rofl:

Love it!

http://i.imgur.com/NRv8dL0.jpg

DemonGeminiX
10-03-2015, 09:20 PM
It's too bad the Ranger's bullpen blows. They blew it today.

RBP
10-04-2015, 12:04 AM
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="MVTYM01" data-context="false"><a href="//imgur.com/MVTYM01">That&amp;#039;s some Neo-level base stealing. Full speed play: &lt;a rel=&quot;nofollow&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot; href=&quot;http://i.imgur.com/os7rT13.gifv&quot;&gt;http://i.imgur.com/os7rT13.gifv&lt;/a&gt;FP edit: This is my first time, be gentle.</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>...

deebakes
10-04-2015, 12:06 AM
whoa, sick :lol:

RBP
10-04-2015, 11:13 PM
The NL wild card game will be played in Pittsburgh. Came down to the last day.

The Cubbies won 97 regular season games. :shock:

If I heard it correctly, this is the first time in MLB history that the best 3 records in all of baseball have been in the same division.

Fun fact: Despite the historic rivalry, if the Cubs win the wild card game, the Cubs and Cardinals will face each other in the playoffs for the first time.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-05-2015, 10:30 AM
http://i.imgur.com/O64HLBQ.jpg

Speaking of the World Series, here, as of Sunday morning, Oct. 4, are the odds of winning the World Series that the the SportsLine Projection Model gave to each of the 10 playoff teams ...

Royals: 22.2 percent
Cardinals: 16.7 percent
Blue Jays, Dodgers: 14.3 percent
Mets: 11.1 percent
Yankees: 10.0 percent
Astros, Pirates: 7.7 percent
Cubs: 6.7 percent
Rangers: 3.2 percent

deebakes
10-05-2015, 11:57 AM
twins actually made a bit of a run at it in the end :shrug:

DemonGeminiX
10-05-2015, 05:21 PM
I'm rooting for KC. :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Either KC or Toronto for me :tup:

Unless it's the Rockies in the World Series (against anyone except Boston) I'm an AL fan all the way (unless it's the fucking Yanke$$ :x )

DemonGeminiX
10-06-2015, 04:28 PM
I just think KC's a fun team to watch. :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Yankees are out :cheers:

RBP
10-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Yankees are out :cheers:

I didn't watch the entire game, but the Yankees looked lethargic to me. I like they didn't give a fuck either way.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Big game for you guys tonite bud....shame that one of these two teams will be out after tonite, both deserve better than a 1 game playoff after the season they both had.

RBP
10-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Big game for you guys tonite bud....shame that one of these two teams will be out after tonite, both deserve better than a 1 game playoff after the season they both had.

:agreed:

Should be a good one. I am slightly nervous and very excited. :woot:

DemonGeminiX
10-07-2015, 12:09 PM
Arrieta's pitching tonight. Lights out for the Pirates if he's on.

DemonGeminiX
10-08-2015, 01:57 AM

Y'all got lucky in the 6th.

deebakes
10-08-2015, 02:57 AM
impressive work joe madden

RBP
10-08-2015, 03:53 AM

Arrieta is such a fucking stud.

GO CUBS GO!

RBP
10-08-2015, 04:13 AM
The bar was full of the date and time superstitions.

Game on 10/7? What? It was 107 years ago that the Cubs won the World Series!

The start time is 7:08? What? That 19:08! The last year the Cubs won!

RBP
10-08-2015, 04:18 AM
Holy shit. I had a $60 ticket to Monday's NLDS. I could only get one so I decided to take the cash and sell it on StubHub. Strike while the iron's hot and sell it after the win right?

I listed it for $300 and it sold literally in 2 minutes. Listing time 11:07. Sales time 11:09.

deebakes
10-08-2015, 04:23 AM
should have listed it for more :lol:

RBP
10-08-2015, 04:25 AM
Apparently! but that's exactly what I wanted, a quick sale.

deebakes
10-08-2015, 04:29 AM
money on the table :lol:

RBP
10-08-2015, 04:35 AM
:lol: This is going to get out of control quickly if they keep playing like that.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Holy shit. I had a $60 ticket to Monday's NLDS. I could only get one so I decided to take the cash and sell it on StubHub. Strike while the iron's hot and sell it after the win right?

I listed it for $300 and it sold literally in 2 minutes. Listing time 11:07. Sales time 11:09.

You are not a fan

RBP
10-08-2015, 11:07 AM
You are not a fan

whatever. :hand:

DemonGeminiX
10-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Watch the Cubs not make it to the playoffs for another 100+ years now.

#RBP'sRegret

Teh One Who Knocks
10-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Watch the Cubs not make it to the playoffs for another 100+ years now.

#RBP'sRegret

The new curse :shock:

RBP
10-08-2015, 04:31 PM

Teh One Who Knocks
10-08-2015, 05:03 PM
I can see the headlines now:

"Cards Sweep Cubs, Cubs Don't Score The Entire Series"

RBP
10-08-2015, 06:04 PM
Well then you'd have no reason not to bet me on that, Mr Clairvoyant McClairvoyantson.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-08-2015, 06:09 PM
I'm not going anywhere near you Mr Cursey McCurserson :hand:

RBP
10-08-2015, 07:32 PM

Cub fans are SO superstitious. Last night the bar, saying anything about the Cardinals before the game was over was met with the same level of scorn as a cat call at a fourth wave feminist convention.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-08-2015, 07:37 PM
How do you guys keep track of all the curses? :-k At least Boston only had the Curse of the Bambino to break, you guys have way too many and it's confusing [-(

RBP
10-08-2015, 10:40 PM
We have none! Joe Maddon was asked about the curses and he replied that he "doesn't operate on that frequency". :lol:

RBP
10-10-2015, 02:31 AM
Lance. No. I know you want to, but just no. It was one game. period. the end. :lol:

deebakes
10-10-2015, 02:34 AM
:haha:

RBP
10-10-2015, 02:38 AM
:haha:

deebakes
10-10-2015, 02:40 AM
:excellent:

RBP
10-10-2015, 02:45 AM
Granted that makes the task exponentially harder.

RBP
10-10-2015, 02:46 AM
I am more stunned at the Blue Jays down 2-0, and KC barely squeaking out from the same fate.

DemonGeminiX
10-10-2015, 02:56 AM
Them Texas teams are good.

DemonGeminiX
10-10-2015, 03:00 AM
The Mets just got on the board.

deebakes
10-10-2015, 03:01 AM
boom

DemonGeminiX
10-10-2015, 03:06 AM
shakalaka