PDA

View Full Version : NHL and other ice hockey discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2011, 10:10 PM
:shock::shock::shock: Jeff Carter got traded to Columbus for Jakub Voracek, plus first and third round draft picks.
EDIT: Phi trades Mike Richards to LA for Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds and a 2nd round pick ...wow
EDIT part deux: Bryzgalov contract with PHI is done. 9 years, $51 million.

Damn. Guess we won't see the playoffs next year... or the next 10 years for that matter.

:sad2:

samarchepas
06-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Oh come on now DGX! :lol: Voracek,1st round pick (8th overall) 2nd round pick,3rd round pick,Brayden Schenn(One of the best...if not the best prospect L.A had),Wayne Simmonds all that for just 2 players.You still have 7.57M$ in cap space.

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Oh come on now DGX! :lol: Voracek,1st round pick (8th overall) 2nd round pick,3rd round pick,Brayden Schenn(One of the best...if not the best prospect L.A had),Wayne Simmonds all that for just 2 players.You still have 7.57M$ in cap space.

The cap space is the best thing they got out of this deal. Voracek and Schenn are unproven and still developing, and Simmonds is gonna have to walk on water to prove himself worth it to the city of Philadelphia. 14 goals a year isn't gonna cut it.

And Bryzgalov better win.

Carter, I can understand... he's always injured in the playoffs, but Richards? This is twice in a row that Homer moved the heart and soul of the Flyers to somewhere else. He did it with Gagne last year.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2011, 10:35 PM
The cap space is the best thing they got out of this deal. Voracek and Schenn are unproven and still developing, and Simmonds is gonna have to walk on water to prove himself worth it to the city of Philadelphia. 14 goals a year isn't gonna cut it.

And Bryzgalov better win.

Carter, I can understand... he's always injured in the playoffs, but Richards? This is twice in a row that Homer moved the heart and soul of the Flyers to somewhere else. He did it with Gagne last year.

Bryzgalov averaged 33 wins a year the last 4 season with the Yotes....and the Flyers are a much better team than the Yotes. He may do really well for you :thumbsup:

samarchepas
06-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Maybe he had a reason to trade him (He had issues with other players within the team...won't happen with Pronger...I'm assuming he will get the C ) The trades will probably be great for the Flyers IF they draft right.

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2011, 10:57 PM
We'll see what they do with those draft picks. And really, now that they've gotten rid of their top 2 goal scorers, anything's possible. They could deal anybody now.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2011, 11:04 PM
The Flyers are hosting the Winter Classic this coming season :tup:

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2011, 11:05 PM
:-k

Who are they playing?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2011, 11:08 PM
The Rangers

samarchepas
06-24-2011, 12:15 AM
The Habs signed Andrei Markov for 3 years :woot:

Godfather
06-24-2011, 01:10 AM
What the hell did Phili do today? :lol: It's like some kid had his War Games version of NHL 12 where he was trading for real...

Seemed like a really, really aggressive trade. Hope it works for Phili and sucks for the Wild and LA (mostly just cus they're in the West :lol: )

samarchepas
06-24-2011, 01:32 AM
What the hell did Phili do today? :lol: It's like some kid had his War Games version of NHL 12 where he was trading for real...

Seemed like a really, really aggressive trade. Hope it works for Phili and sucks for the Wild and LA (mostly just cus they're in the West :lol: )

I'm guessing that there was an "internal war" in their locker room and they traded the or part of the problem away (happened for the Habs for Koivu and Kovalev...they didn't like each other...and we got rid of them both :lol:)

Godfather
06-24-2011, 02:46 AM
It's possible that was why. Although usually there are rumors of that, and I haven't found any in this instance.

I've read Richards wasn't leading any more and Phili felt they over-payed. And Carter is a one-dimensional hockey player even though some of his numbers are strong. In some ways it might have been a good idea to unload two guys who aren't rounded enough

Then again.... it could just prove to be a big mistake.

samarchepas
06-24-2011, 03:08 AM
It's possible that was why. Although usually there are rumors of that, and I haven't found any in this instance.

You don't follow much in the NHL outside the Canucks right?:lol: TSN made more than a few articles about them and said Richards specifically.I don't think Carter was a problem, just got an offer for him and decided it was good enough to do the trade.

Godfather
06-24-2011, 03:35 AM
I follow the NHL but it's the Flyers, they're off the radar from out here for obvious reseasons. I'd just heard Richards wasn't doing much in the locker room but I haven't seen the article you're talking about?

samarchepas
06-24-2011, 04:16 AM
It was last year (when the team was in a bad streak) Lets just say that he was doing much in the locker room...just not the right stuff :lol: or something I'm quite sure you remember, when he said that Subban should respect him just because he was a rookie.If he was the same for the new guys coming in for them...ouch.If the kid comes in and tell the veterans of the team to F*** off then ok but it was not the case there.

Godfather
06-24-2011, 04:43 AM
Funny, was just watching that video the other day :lol: Everyone hated PK for a while there though which was just funny 'cus he's hilarious

samarchepas
06-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Everyone...except for Habs fans :lol: He is probably one of the most fun defenseman to see play! (I know I said it already but he is the first rookie on defense for the Habs in 101 years) and plays great defensively too (was bad at the beginning but he greatly improved...plays against the best lines)

Godfather
06-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Hope the Oilers take Hopkins first. He'd be the first BC born 1st overall pick :mrgreen:

samarchepas
06-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Larsson would make more sense imo...they already have a lot of offense but their problem is on defense.

samarchepas
06-24-2011, 05:28 PM
It's done...The name for Winnipeg's team: Winnipeg Jets :woot:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Just got a text from the local sports radio station, the Avalanche traded John-Michael Liles to the Leafs for their 2012 second round pick

Teh One Who Knocks
06-25-2011, 12:28 AM
The Avalanche are already paper thin on defense...then today they trade away Liles to Toronto, a solid veteran defenseman. With the 2nd pick you figure they have to take Larsson who is a great D prospect. So that's who they take, right? :)

No, they take Landeskog instead. :|

Godfather
06-25-2011, 03:17 AM
Larsson would make more sense imo...they already have a lot of offense but their problem is on defense.

IMO You'd have to be crazy to pass up a prospect like Hopkins... people have said he's the best young player they have ever seen.

Man the leafs must be shaking their heads right now. Could be welcoming a very talented young man to their organization

DemonGeminiX
06-25-2011, 04:49 AM
Philly's 1st round pick, 8th overall:

Sean Couterier C 6' 4" 197 lbs

Midterm Rank: 2 (What does that mean, Sam/GF?)

NHL Central Scouting's Chris Bordeleau
“At his size, he'll be hard to pass up in the draft. He possesses a very good work ethic and he's out there for every important faceoff. He's very responsible in the defensive aspect of the game -- a rare quality for such a young player in junior hockey."

NHL Central Scouting's Chris Edwards
“Sean has excellent puckhandling and playmaking ability; he sees the ice and reads the play very well . . . He's extremely smart and gets himself into good scoring position. He plays a solid two-way game and is very responsible defensively.”

So I guess he's a good pick?

samarchepas
06-25-2011, 05:37 AM
I've seen him play DGX, being able to get him at 8th spot...definite steal! He was ranked 1st overall earlier this year (Center,6"4!!!) He dropped in ranking but so did Larsson (Midterm was in January, so half way to the draft) I'm very happy with the pick the Habs did too (Nathan Beaulieu) He was ranked 5th in North America, and we got him in 17 :).

samarchepas
06-25-2011, 05:46 AM
IMO You'd have to be crazy to pass up a prospect like Hopkins... people have said he's the best young player they have ever seen.

Man the leafs must be shaking their heads right now. Could be welcoming a very talented young man to their organization
For the Leafs they must be getting used to it :lol: (2 years in a row now) And about Hopkins that exactly what they did :lol: I guess he was too good to pass up but Larsson was said to be one of the best defenseman to come out of Sweden since Lidstrom!(And if there is 1 thing they need,it's defense.)

Godfather
06-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Ya I've read good things about Larsson too but like you said, too good to pass up on probably.

Then again, neither of them could work out :lol: That's the beauty of the NHL draft. You neeever know when you're going to get a Patrik Stefan or conversely a Henrik Lundqvist.

Godfather
06-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Canucks pick... another Dane :-k Interesting.

Nicklas Jensen

NHL Central Scouting's Chris Edwards
“Nicklas has adjusted very well to the OHL. His puck-handling and play-making ability are excellent. He has an excellent wrist shot that he gets off quickly.”

Oshawa Generals GM and coach Chris DePiero
“He's starting to take off, certainly after Christmas, after he returned from the World Junior B pool and spending some time at home, since he's been back he's been on fire. It's renewed confidence for him. He's proving that the accolades coming his way are well deserved. They feed off each other (Lucas Lessio, Andy Andreoff and Nicklas Jensen). It's not the pretty passing plays, it's the little touch passes. They utilize their size and their quickness. Their puck protection is excellent. … They have a chemistry, the three of them. It's been kind of neat.”

DemonGeminiX
06-26-2011, 08:49 AM
What's going on with Steven Stamkos and the Lightning?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-26-2011, 10:51 AM
The winners and losers of the 2011 NHL Draft
By Sean Leahy - Yahoo! Hockey Blog

http://i.imgur.com/bemad.jpg

ST. PAUL -- The real winners and losers of the 2011 NHL Draft won't come into focus until about three or four years down the line, when some of these names are contending for NHL awards and others are footnotes in history.

But having watched all seven rounds of the draft at Xcel Energy Center, some winners and losers are apparent right away.

Winner: Winnipeg hockey fans

Jets fans were loud during Round 1 on Friday even before True North Sports and Entertainment chairman Mark Chipman subtly let loose the team name as he was introducing GM Kevin Cheveldayoff to announce their first round pick. The "Go Jets Go" and "We want Teemu" chants were abundant on Friday night and is just a signal of the passion we'll be seeing once again from the fanbase in Winnipeg.

Loser: Vancouver Canucks' Reputation

Minnesota Wild fans don't like the Canucks to begin with, but the post-Game 7 riots in Vancouver brought out some extra vitriol at the draft. References to the riots were shouted from the arena seats during Vancouver's picks, and the team was lustily booed every time it was mentioned.

Winner: Colorado Avalanche

They opted not to draft Adam Larsson at No. 2 overall but instead went for Gabriel Landeskog, who could be an offensive cornerstone for their team. Then, at No. 11, they snagged Duncan Siemens, who is considered one of the better shut-down defensemen in the draft.

Loser: Columbus Blue Jackets

The Jeff Carter trade was enormous for the fans, but he's been distant and disgruntled about getting dealt to Columbus. They didn't have an impact draft pick and had to cut the cord with bust Nikita Filatov (although the third-round pick coming back is solid). Carter could be a huge asset on the ice; off the ice, it's been a frustrating weekend from a public relations perspective.

Winner: The cities of St. Paul and Minneapolis

The Twin Cities played great hosts for the NHL Draft Weekend and showed why Minnesota is called the "State of Hockey". Wild fans were loud -- especially when the Devin Setoguchi/Brent Burns trade was announced -- and were given plenty to cheer when they saw 10 Minnesota high schoolers chosen on Saturday.

Loser: The City of Minnesota

Ottawa Senators assistant GM Tim Murray accidentally thanked "the city of Minnesota" during the first round on live TV, completely ignoring the state of St. Paul.

Winner: Stan Bowman

The Blackhawks GM found a taker for Brian Campbell's contract and flipped RFA Troy Brouwer for a first-round pick. Chicago has some cap room now to be a player on July 1.

Loser: Ryan Smyth

It came out this week that the Los Angeles Kings forward had asked to be traded closer to home in Alberta. Discussions between the Kings and Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames took place during the Draft, but fell apart. According to TSN, a deal to the Oilers was in line to be executed, but an injury to Gilbert Brule killed things. Smyth now must wait even further to find out if he'll be returning to Alberta.

Winner: Terry Pegula

The new Buffalo Sabres owner made noise about winning a Stanley Cup immediately after closing the sale. He worked to convince Calgary Flames defenseman Robyn Regehr to waive his no-trade clause for Buffalo and picked up Regehr's annual salary cap hit of $4.02 million.

Loser: Pick No. 69

There was no 69th pick in the Draft due to the fact that it was forfeited by the New Jersey Devils after the Ilya Kovalchuk contract saga last summer. New Jersey still has to forgo one first round pick in one of the next three drafts to fulfill the punishment laid down by the NHL.

Winner: Minnesota Wild

Flipping Brent Burns for what amounts to three No. 1 picks was an outstanding return for GM Chuck Fletcher. Burns will help the San Jose Sharks in a big way, but Fletcher made them pay for it.

Loser: Players With Long-Term Contracts

Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Robyn Regehr, Brian Campbell ... these are players who committed long-term to their teams (and in the case of the two Flyers, very, very long-term) and then were traded to other teams. With teams locking up talent before they hit free agency, trading long-term contracts is becoming the best way to acquire players in their prime.

Winner: USHL

The top junior ice hockey league in the United States produced 25 picks, behind the OHL (46) but ahead of Quebec Major Junior (22).

Loser: Johan Mattsson

Optimists will see him as a winner because he was drafted. But the Swedish goalie was this year's Mr. Irrelevant, taken at No. 211 by the Chicago Blackhawks (using a pick from the Boston Bruins).

Winner: Matt's Bar

Your humble editors of this here blog made it a point to visit Matt's Bar to see what the fuss about the Jucy Lucy hamburger was all about. Two beef patties with molten hot cheese on the inside made for a fantastic dinner on Thursday and a little bit of a mess for Wysh:

http://i.imgur.com/apizN.jpg

DemonGeminiX
06-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Loser: The City of Minnesota

Ottawa Senators assistant GM Tim Murray accidentally thanked "the city of Minnesota" during the first round on live TV, completely ignoring the state of St. Paul.

Hahahaha... that's funny.

:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-26-2011, 11:06 AM

I don't see any stories about it :-k

Godfather
06-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Cool post! I want to go to Matt's Bar now :lol:

Good for the USHL! Don't know much about that league.

samarchepas
06-26-2011, 07:18 PM

Nothing really he is going to be RFA on July 1st, (AKA Not going anywhere) Well some team could try to sign him but that would cost them 4 first round picks. And the Lightning could just even the offer (which they obviously will if it happens) and BTW Stamkos can refuse any offer sheets he gets.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-30-2011, 10:05 PM
:link: Penguins make offer to Jagr, still await word (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=ApwgyRcIK3SO6MTlNhsHrSk5nYcB?slug=ap-penguins-jagr)

samarchepas
07-01-2011, 12:34 AM
The Red Wings are also believed to be in the "Jagr Derby" and a mysterious, unnamed 3rd team...

Godfather
07-01-2011, 06:08 AM
I can hardly believe the contract Erhoff got :lol: Wow

Teh One Who Knocks
07-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Look like Miss Jagr decided on the Pens :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
07-01-2011, 08:29 PM
And the Avs traded for Varlamov....a first round pick in 2012 and a conditional 2nd round pick in 2012 or 2013. Seems pretty steep for an unproven goalie :wha:

Godfather
07-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Oh man, where is Richards going to sign :lol:

DemonGeminiX
07-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Look like Miss Jagr decided on the Pens :-k

No, he signed a one year deal with the Flyers.

http://www.csnphilly.com/07/01/11/Flyers-agree-to-contract-with-Jaromir-Ja/news_flyers.html?blockID=538697&feedID=704

:shock:

DemonGeminiX
07-01-2011, 10:00 PM
They also signed Max Talbot.

Ville Leino couldn't come to terms with the Flyers so he signed with the Sabres instead.

The Flyers’ flurry of moves continued on Friday when they sent winger Kris Versteeg to the Florida Panthers in exchange for a second-round pick in 2012 or 2013 and a third-rounder in 2012.

The Flyers have also agreed to a contract with free agent defenseman Andreas Lilja.

Veteran defenseman Sean O'Donnell has signed a one-year deal with the Chicago Blackhawks worth $850,000.

Brian Boucher, who had completed his third stint with the Flyers this season, won't be back for 2011-12. Boucher has signed a two-year, $1.9 million deal with the Carolina Hurricanes.

Jesus, they're making a lot of moves today.

samarchepas
07-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Erik Cole with the Habs (Budaj too...15 games max :lol:) and Lance, Varlamov will be 2nd goalie no worries...you got Giguère too. (Paid too much for Varlamov imo though)

Godfather
07-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Sabres went all out. Exciting day for those fans.

samarchepas
07-01-2011, 11:42 PM
They FINALLY have an owner willing to spend cash on their team! ('bout time)

DemonGeminiX
07-01-2011, 11:53 PM
I don't know about this Jagr thing. I know he's done well for his national team, but the dude's 39 years old, hasn't played in the NHL in 3 years, and well... I made a career of hating the fucker's guts for the past 25 years.

He doesn't play Flyer's style hockey.

samarchepas
07-02-2011, 12:10 AM
All you can do about it is wait and see :lol: He didn't play in the NHL but at least he was in the KHL.BTW What's with all the former Penguins going to the Flyers?!:lol:

DemonGeminiX
07-02-2011, 12:55 AM
:-s

All?

:nono:

Just 2 (so far).

I don't know what's going through Homer's head, but it better work.

Still can't get past it, Jagr's gonna be wearing a Flyer's jersey. Fuckin' Jagr, man.

:no:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-02-2011, 01:01 AM
No, he signed a one year deal with the Flyers.

http://www.csnphilly.com/07/01/11/Flyers-agree-to-contract-with-Jaromir-Ja/news_flyers.html?blockID=538697&feedID=704

That's what I meant...not sure why the Pens were in my mind. I wasn't even drunk yet :wha:

samarchepas
07-02-2011, 01:24 AM

All?

Just 2 (so far).

I don't know what's going through Homer's head, but it better work.

Still can't get past it, Jagr's gonna be wearing a Flyer's jersey. Fuckin' Jagr, man.

You know...its only for a year :lol:

DemonGeminiX
07-02-2011, 01:38 AM
You know...its only for a year :lol:

Dude, he was a Penguin. Then he was a Capital. Then he was a Ranger. I made a career of hating the guy since 1990.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-02-2011, 01:39 AM
Dude, he was a Penguin. Then he was a Capital. Then he was a Ranger. I made a career of hating the guy since 1990.

And he has a vagina :tup:

samarchepas
You might be interested in RUMOURS going around that Gagné could go back in Philly.

Teh One Who Knocks

DemonGeminiX
07-02-2011, 02:33 AM

I know.

You might be interested in RUMOURS going around that Gagné could go back in Philly.

That seems to be more of a suggestion by sports writers when considering options for more offense. They said he might be a good option for the Kings as well. At the very least, I'm not seeing anything where they're saying that Homer and the top brass are seriously considering reacquiring him. They were also talking about bringing back Michal Handzus, but as of today, that's not gonna happen.

I feel like I've seen that before.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-02-2011, 02:36 AM
Damn double posts :x

The site is slow for me tonite :(

DemonGeminiX
07-02-2011, 02:37 AM

You sure you just didn't hit a speed bump?

Teh One Who Knocks
07-02-2011, 02:42 AM
I'm fairly sure I'm stationary :-k

DemonGeminiX
07-02-2011, 02:45 AM

Your building could've hit it.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-02-2011, 02:46 AM
I think I would have noticed if my building had moved :-k

I'm drunk, but not that drunk :hand:

DemonGeminiX
07-02-2011, 02:48 AM
It could've been a really small and fast speed bump. You could've missed it.

8-[

Teh One Who Knocks
07-02-2011, 02:54 AM
Can you feel this? :-k

:slap:

DemonGeminiX
07-02-2011, 02:57 AM

Um.... no.

samarchepas
07-02-2011, 02:40 PM
That seems to be more of a suggestion by sports writers when considering options for more offense. They said he might be a good option for the Kings as well. At the very least, I'm not seeing anything where they're saying that Homer and the top brass are seriously considering reacquiring him. They were also talking about bringing back Michal Handzus, but as of today, that's not gonna happen.

Handzus signed with San Jose, and about Homer...I don't remember hearing anything from him before he made all those trades lately :-k...:lol:
Brad Richards will sign with the Rangers. (He made his decision, not signed yet...58M$/9 years.)

Godfather
07-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Figured the Rangers would get him.... not too many guys are going to go elsewhere when a team says 'we will beat any other offer'

samarchepas
07-02-2011, 04:12 PM
They didn't "beat any other offer" btw :lol: Calgary offered 5M$ more than them but he decided to go there.

samarchepas
07-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Simon Gagné signs with the Kings for 2 years/7M$...pretty it for the "big" names (except for Kaberle...but his value went down a lot it seems)

Godfather
07-03-2011, 01:24 AM
They didn't "beat any other offer" btw :lol: Calgary offered 5M$ more than them but he decided to go there.

Strange :-k Media was reporting like crazy the Rangers promised to beat any offer :-k

Godfather
07-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Oh now I see (didn't have time to look until after work today). What a sloppy contract...

And I guess the prospect missing the playoffs every year in Calgary, and the huge signing bonus' in NY were pretty compelling deal-breakers.

samarchepas
07-03-2011, 01:35 AM
Sometimes...Medias say something and the GMs are saying otherwise :lol:

Godfather
07-03-2011, 03:21 AM
It's dodging the CBA if you ask me... sounds like the max contract will be lowered to 6 years next year (grandfathering existing ones of course). I'd be very happy to see that

samarchepas
07-03-2011, 03:34 AM
Front loaded contracts are QUITE popular these days, lowering the number of years won't do much imo.Just change the cap hit, salary of a certain year=the cap hit of that year.After that if they want to take the risk of signing a guy for 10 years...it's their problem :lol:

Godfather
07-03-2011, 06:01 AM
Yep. That would work well too but it is a far more fundamental change. I don't see it being agreed upon easily -it's too simple for these clowns :roll:

Which is one more reason why I'm thinking the chances of 2012/13 lock-out are sadly quite high

On a related note. It's insane how much money stupid-ass Bettman would have saved the owners if he had simply accept the ~54$ million hard cap hit unlinked to revenues he was first offered by the NHLPA :lol: Now we're up to $64 even though it started at $40ish... unreal.

NHL, NBA, NFL. Pro sports are fucked...

samarchepas
07-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Nothing much we can do about it until it happens sadly :wha:...already 2 leagues on lockout right now...but imo MLB is the worst (salary-wise)

DemonGeminiX
07-04-2011, 03:02 AM
You could always take in some minor league games.

:tup:

samarchepas
07-04-2011, 05:17 AM
If they were on TV I guess it could be an option :lol:...BTW Big trade tonight!!! Danny Heatley is going to the Wild for Martin Havlat!! :shock:

Godfather
07-04-2011, 04:29 PM
:rofl: Heatley for Havlat.....

samarchepas
07-04-2011, 05:07 PM
As much as I'm trying to see the point of this trade...can't do it :lol: the Sharks got robbed imo.Heatley is a potential 50 goals scorer every year.He did it twice and got 6 seasons with 39+ goals.Havlat on the other hand, only had a season with 29 goals and another with 31.

Godfather
07-04-2011, 06:18 PM
For sure. Just so funny... what a slap in the face for Heatley. He earned it though :roll:

Sharks have a good team on paper, but they choked in the playoffs yet again.

samarchepas
07-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Thornton has a reputation for not stepping up during the playoffs but he is still there, Heatley only had one season and is gone.The Wild will be his 4th team (Trashers,Senators,Sharks and Wild)...there is something about him that we don't know...:-k

Godfather
07-05-2011, 05:03 AM
probably. Everyone wants 50 goal Heatley. Not gonna happen again.

samarchepas
07-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Not gonna happen?Come on now :lol: The guy might be a douche all he want...his talent won't just go away like magic :lol: (He is just 30 after all) 26 goals last year (lowest in his career) 39 goals the other last 2.

Godfather
07-05-2011, 06:54 AM
Now he's on the Wild...where nobody scores. Watch him not crack the 20 goal mark this year and still be their highest scoring player :rofl:

samarchepas
07-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Well...he got 41 with the Thrashers...:lol: and they also got Setoguchi 2 weeks ago.

Godfather
07-06-2011, 05:08 AM
We'll see :lol: the Wild barley got 200 goals last year. It's either a perfect place and time for him to step up or just a city to end a paper-fire of a career.

samarchepas
07-06-2011, 05:22 AM
They just got 10 goals fewer than the Habs so I can't saw it's that bad (even if it is :lol:) My point was: WTH are the Sharks doing?! giving rid of a big part of their offense! And again back to Heatley, it's only one guy and hockey, last time I checked was a team sport so he can't do it all :lol:

Godfather
07-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Which comes right back around again to Heatley obviously not being someone you really care to have in your dressing room :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-06-2011, 04:47 PM
So, Kaberle off to the Hurricanes, huh?

I wasn't all that impressed with his stint on the Bruins after the trade.

samarchepas
07-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Nobody was impressed with his performance in the Playoffs and before that! :lol: That's why it almost took a week for him to get a team to sign him. The Bruins paid a lot do get that guy, for nothing (Yes they won the cup, but he was not much of a factor in it)

Teh One Who Knocks
07-06-2011, 05:14 PM
:link: Puck Daddy’s 2011 NHL Free-Agent Frenzy Report Card (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Puck-Daddy-s-2011-NHL-Free-Agent-Frenzy-Report-C?urn=nhl-wp8623)

Teh One Who Knocks
07-06-2011, 05:16 PM
And have fun with 'Red Light' Budaj up in Montreal :lol:

samarchepas
07-06-2011, 05:23 PM
That's one signing I absolutely do not care about Lance :lol:, he won't play more than 15 games anyway.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah, but unless he signed to play for free, you guys overpaid for him :dance:

samarchepas
07-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Paying him 150K less than the Avs did...:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Because he knew we weren't gonna re-sign him here ;)

Godfather
07-06-2011, 05:47 PM
:link: Puck Daddy’s 2011 NHL Free-Agent Frenzy Report Card (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Puck-Daddy-s-2011-NHL-Free-Agent-Frenzy-Report-C?urn=nhl-wp8623)

Nice, that's handy. I'm surprised they only gave Buffalo an A- :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
07-06-2011, 05:51 PM
I like what he said when going over the Jets draft:

The city is so nuts for the return of hockey, the Jets could go 0-82 and it wouldn't dampen the enthusiasm.

samarchepas
07-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Because he knew we weren't gonna re-sign him here ;)

Well, from what I heard, we HAD to pay him something because slavery is against the CBA :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Bwahahahahaha....I guess it was Nathan Horton's day with the Cup and he was supposed to bring it to Dunville, Ontario for a celebration. Seems that the Cup missed its flight and was delayed, but they still had the celebration anyway. But I love the way the story was covered.....the last line in the story by the reporter:

Tough break for the good people of Dunnville. Luckily, if you're going to have a frustrating wait for the Stanley Cup, might as well be in Ontario. They're used to it.

:lmao:

MrsM
07-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Bwahahahahaha....I guess it was Nathan Horton's day with the Cup and he was supposed to bring it to Dunville, Ontario for a celebration. Seems that the Cup missed its flight and was delayed, but they still had the celebration anyway. But I love the way the story was covered.....the last line in the story by the reporter:

:lmao:

:sad2: I have no comeback:coat:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-18-2011, 06:06 PM
:sad2: I have no comeback:coat:

:empathy:

There's always next year :tup:

MrsM
07-18-2011, 06:08 PM

Ya - not really - I'm a fan, but even I know that making the playoffs is not a given.

samarchepas
07-18-2011, 07:17 PM

...Since 1967 :lol: (and 1993 for us...:rant:)

Godfather
07-18-2011, 07:55 PM
I wonder if we're going to have to wait another 16 years to get to the finals :-k I need another team to really care about

samarchepas
07-18-2011, 08:03 PM
I wonder if we're going to have to wait another 16 years to get to the finals :-k I need another team to really care about

Could be soon imo...not much changes with the team itself (like the Blackhawks had to)
The Pens needed 2 tries to win it.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-18-2011, 09:00 PM

It was 21 years since the Bruins had last been in the finals....so nothing is a given

Godfather
07-18-2011, 09:03 PM
It was 21 years since the Bruins had last been in the finals....so nothing is a given

But you've cheered for the Avs for a while too right!?! They were a fantastic team for a while there!

Teh One Who Knocks
07-18-2011, 09:06 PM
But you've cheered for the Avs for a while too right!?! They were a fantastic team for a while there!

Oh for sure, but it's gonna be a long time before they even sniff the finals now :lol:

samarchepas
07-19-2011, 06:11 AM
Even harder now with the salary cap :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Even harder now with the salary cap :lol:

For some reason, the Avalanche were one of the teams that didn't adapt well to the salary cap era. They were a powerhouse back when they could spend what they wanted to, but as soon as the cap came in, they couldn't deal. Yet teams like the Wings had no problem and just kept moving right along.

samarchepas
07-19-2011, 03:53 PM
GMs now have to use their head a little more when signing guys :lol: (Sather for exemple, has issues with that....Drury,Redden,Gomez...etc)

Joebob034
07-19-2011, 04:42 PM
For some reason, the Avalanche were one of the teams that didn't adapt well to the salary cap era. They were a powerhouse back when they could spend what they wanted to, but as soon as the cap came in, they couldn't deal. Yet teams like the Wings had no problem and just kept moving right along.

That's what happens when you got the best GM in the league

Joebob034
07-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Chris Osgood announces his retirement. Sad to see him go but it was definitely time.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-19-2011, 04:44 PM
That's what happens when you got the best GM in the league

Shouldn't you have won more than 2 Cups in the last 10 years then if he's that good? :-k

;)

Joebob034
07-19-2011, 04:44 PM

cheer for the Tigers

Joebob034
07-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Shouldn't you have won more than 2 Cups in the last 10 years then if he's that good? :-k

;)

I'd say 4 in 11 years is pretty good in itself

Teh One Who Knocks
07-19-2011, 04:47 PM
I'd say 4 in 11 years is pretty good in itself

The Islanders and Habs would laugh that it took that long to win 4 :hand:

Joebob034
07-19-2011, 04:50 PM
and I'd laugh at them since it's been almost 20 years for one and the other may not be a franchise much longer with the way they're going.

samarchepas
07-19-2011, 05:11 PM
The Islanders...worst example possible here :lol: (Their dynasty is long gone) Habs are doing good...but nothing like it was :lol:.About Osgood...it was announced YESTERDAY that he was supposed to be the 2nd goalie...and now he retires?:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-19-2011, 05:15 PM
and I'd laugh at them since it's been almost 20 years for one and the other may not be a franchise much longer with the way they're going.

You're missing the point :nono:

Joebob034
07-19-2011, 06:00 PM
The Islanders...worst example possible here :lol: (Their dynasty is long gone) Habs are doing good...but nothing like it was :lol:.About Osgood...it was announced YESTERDAY that he was supposed to be the 2nd goalie...and now he retires?:lol:

Well they signed MacDonald and then news got out that Holland was calling for a press conference with Osgood today so I think some reporters jumped the gun and assumed it was gonna be about resigning him.

You're missing the point :nono:

:hand: I make my own points.

Joebob034
07-25-2011, 04:44 PM
http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/winnipeg_hockey_gets_bellicose.php

The Jets new logos. Personally I like the old ones better, these new ones remind me of beer logos.

Godfather
07-25-2011, 04:47 PM
The old Jets symbol had a crummy looking outline of a passenger plane :lol:

I think the new one cool! It pays a lot of respect to the old Royal Canadian Air Force logo, and incorporates symbolism from our current Forces in the CF-18's which it pretty bad-ass.

Think I'll get a jersey, or at very least a hat.

Joebob034
07-25-2011, 05:11 PM
http://www.yourwinnipegjets.com/pictures/wpg.gif

:thumbsup:

samarchepas
07-26-2011, 03:39 AM
Honestly...I was not a fan (at all) of the new logos...maybe it's just me but the more I look at them...they get better :lol: (better than the Trashers logo at least...)

Joebob034
07-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Kris Draper hangs 'em up. That leaves Holmstom and Lidstrom as the last of the old guard left on the team. RIP Grind Line :(

Teh One Who Knocks
08-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Canucks center Ryan Kesler has hip surgery
The Associated Press

VANCOUVER, British Columbia – Vancouver Canucks center Ryan Kesler has had hip surgery, the team said on Tuesday.

The Selke Trophy winner is expected to make a full recovery in 10 to 12 weeks.

Kesler had a career-high 41 goals and added 32 assists in 82 games with the Canucks, who lost to the Bruins in the Stanley Cup finals. In 25 playoff games, he added seven goals and 12 assists.

Kesler needed the operation to repair his labrum, which is a type of cartilage that surrounds the socket of ball-and-socket joints. It helps to provide stability to the joint while allowing flexibility and motion.

"After consultation with our team physicians following the playoffs, it was deemed that Ryan would require a procedure on his hip," GM Mike Gillis said.

"We expect a full recovery and determined this procedure would best serve both Ryan and the team's long-term goals."

Kesler, a Michigan native, also had surgery to repair a torn hip labrum in late January 2007, and was expected then to be out 12 to 16 weeks, but returned just 10 weeks later for the first game of the playoffs.

The 26-year-old Kesler, a 2010 U.S. Olympian, got hurt in the final game of the Western Conference final against San Jose and limped off the ice.

He returned to score the tying goal late in the game, and played all seven games against Boston in the Stanley Cup finals. But he wasn't the same, getting just one assist against the Bruins after seven goals and 18 points during his first 18 games of the playoffs.

Godfather
08-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Hope he recovers well... my fear is still that his break-out season this year won't be repeated :wha:

samarchepas
08-16-2011, 01:44 AM
The RCMP in Coleman, Alberta confirmed on Monday night that former Vancouver Canucks forward Rick Rypien has been found dead in his home.

Rypien was 27.

The six-year NHL veteran played in only nine games with the Canucks last season before leaving the team for personal reasons and eventually being put on injured reserve.

Rypien was loaned to the Manitoba Moose of the AHL late in the season for conditioning, and signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Winnipeg Jets this off-season.

The Coleman, Alberta native had 16 points and 226 penalty minutes in 119 career regular season games, all with the Canucks.

This is the second death of an NHL player in the last three months. Former Minnesota Wild and New York Rangers tough guy Derek Boogaard died in May because of a fatal mix of alcohol and oxycodone.

:rip:

deebakes
08-16-2011, 01:45 AM
wowsers :shock:

Godfather
08-16-2011, 04:10 AM
RIP Ryper... one of the toughest SOB's in the league :(

Guy was obviously struggling.. there were a lot of rumors flying around after the incident last season. Word around here is that it was suicide. Hope he's in a better place now.

Noilly Pratt
08-16-2011, 05:03 AM
Man, I just heard about Rick Rypien. Early last month he signed a contract with the newly formed Winnipeg Jets, so that puts in question the suicide theory.

Gone WAY too soon, regardless. :rip:

Joebob034
08-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Chris Drury retires, kind of shocker to me thought the guy still had a lot left in the tank.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I heard that on local sports radio on the way home from work. Worst trade in Avalanche history getting rid of Drury.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-25-2011, 11:42 AM
I thought this was a great story and worth posting:

Thomas never gave up on ‘American dream’
By Nicholas J. Cotsonika, Yahoo! Sports

http://i.imgur.com/P03jM.jpg

DAVISON, Mich. – If you know Tim Thomas(notes), you know the legend of the wedding rings. Yes, it’s true. When he was 7, his parents hocked his mother’s precious jewelry because they needed money to send him to a select tournament. They had two boys in travel hockey. Times were tough.

But did you know Thomas peddled apples? That he worked at a grocery store and a car lot? That he delivered pizzas for Domino’s? Did you know he played high school football and baseball, too? That he caught the winning touchdown pass on Homecoming? Sure, it was just the first score of a 36-0 blowout, and it was the only catch of his career, according to his father, Tim Sr. Still, his father said with a smile, “What other hockey player can say that?”

What other hockey player can say any of this?

Thomas’ rise has been well-chronicled: how he climbed from college to the minors to Europe to the NHL, then won the Vezina Trophy as the league’s best goaltender in 2008-09, lost his starting job with the Boston Bruins the next season, then had hip surgery, won the Vezina, the Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoff MVP and the Stanley Cup last season.

But the details are richest and most meaningful here in his hometown, where Thomas returned with his hardware Wednesday. He held the Cup over his head as he crossed the Davison High football field, setting it between the Vezina and Conn Smythe before hundreds of fans in the stands.

This is where his fierce competitiveness first came out. This is where he learned persistence and first explored his athletic talent. This is the place that helped make the man, and he said kids need hope and inspiration that this kind of place can help make more like him.

“I think the Midwest work ethic was highly instilled in me growing up,” Thomas said just miles from the empty auto factories of Flint. “I was also taught that if you want something bad enough and you’re willing to work towards it that you can get it. It’s kind of the American dream, so to speak, which I think a lot of people, actually, to be honest, have kind of given up on. But I’m proof that you still can. If there’s anything that the younger generation that’s watching here today takes out of it, it’s that it’s up to you.”

As Thomas received gifts and proclamations from politicians – and even had a little bridge named for him – the Davison High hockey team stood in the background. Steven Arterburn, 17, a senior defenseman, wore a black construction helmet he adorned with Bruins logos; stickers of Thomas and his trophies; and a red light on top that flashes, he said, “for the other team’s goalie.”

Asked what the tale of Tim Thomas meant to him, he said: “If you keep working hard, you can go anywhere.”

More than anything, Tim Thomas wanted to play hockey. Whether it was on the ice or the street, whether it was with a puck or a tennis ball, he always wanted to be in goal. Ken Morrow came from Davison, but Thomas idolized another member of the “Miracle on Ice” team that won gold at the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics: goaltender Jim Craig. He joked that he and his buddies wore out the parking lot of the store across the street from his house.

“Even as a little kid, it was personal for Timmy to get scored on,” said Tim’s uncle Philip Thomas, wearing a Bruins championship hat and a black shirt with the silhouette of the Stanley Cup and the words: “Jesus Saves … Tim Thomas saves MORE!” As a 6- and 7-year-old kid, he was emotionally distraught.”

Thomas’ parents supported him, even going as far as hocking those wedding rings for hockey. He didn’t have to buy his own gear until after high school. But they pulled him from travel hockey at age 11 because it was just too much, and he always worked because, he said, “it was just something you did.”

His family ran fruit stands. So he started helping out around age 8 and started going door-to-door around age 12. He never gave up, even when a door closed on him – a pattern that would carry through his hockey career. His father said if no one answered but he knew someone was home, he would knock on the window. He would take seven bushes of apples and turn them into $50 in three or four hours.

“Most people his age were working at a store making a little bit of money,” his uncle said. “He was working a few hours a week. He was such a good salesman that he was making lots of money selling apples.”

But Timmy did work at a store. He also worked at a car lot like his father – washing the cars, making sure they started in the morning, putting air in the tires, learning the business. When he was old enough, his father bought him an old car for about 90 bucks. He sold that car for about $175, and his father bought him another one. That continued until he had a four-by-four pickup he used to deliver pizzas. Thomas said he saw some of his former Domino’s coworkers in the crowd Wednesday.

“He was very self-sufficient,” his father said.

Most top players don’t play high school hockey. They play for elite travel and junior teams instead. But Thomas’ experience allowed him to be a normal kid and prepared him for his abnormal career track. As he spoke at one point Wednesday, he stood on the field where he had practiced football (“pushed me past my limits of what I thought I could do”). He pointed to the baseball field (“probably sharpened my hand-eye”). He said he played on the tennis courts, too.

“All those things add up to help make you a better athlete, and I’m known as an athletic goalie,” Thomas said. “You don’t get that way by accident.”

Tom Barrow, Thomas’ coach at Davison, tried to channel his competiveness and harness his athleticism. In addition to the high school hockey, he used to pick up Thomas early every Sunday morning and take him to scrimmage with former pro and college players. He taught him not to stomp his feet and break his stick after every goal against. He tried to teach him to be patient and not roam so far out of his crease, though that has remained, well, a work-in-progress.

“I think he failed somewhat at that,” Thomas said, laughing.

Thomas was born in Flint. He moved around the area growing up – from Mt. Morris to Davison. He returned to the area in the off-seasons as he moved up the ranks – ECHL, IHL, AHL, Finland, Sweden. He would see family and friends. He would hunt and fish.

When he was maybe 30, he ran into an old teammate, Al Sumner, who was the senior goaltender when Thomas arrived at Davison as a sophomore. Sumner said at that point Thomas was uncertain how much longer his career would last. Thomas thought he might become a schoolteacher.

The rest is history. Thomas finally landed a steady NHL job at age 32, and he just had one of the best seasons of any goaltender ever while turning 37. Which is why he came home to thank those who believed in him and to inspire others to believe in themselves, taking the Cup to his church in the morning and high school in the afternoon, before heading off for a gathering at his cousin’s house.

“Nothing fancy,” Thomas said.

You might wonder what Thomas possibly could do next. Even though he has spent much of the off-season secluded at his place in Colorado, he seems spent. He said the summer has been overwhelming.

“Winning the Stanley Cup takes more emotional, physical and mental energy than I would have ever believed,” Thomas said. “I mean, I’ve been tired after seasons before, but after this run, it’s a hard recovery.”

The Bruins will face the same issues all defending champions do – fatigue, satisfaction, distraction. They will be the hunted in a league that is becoming known for parity. Thomas also shares the crease with a young, hungry backup, Tuukka Rask(notes), who has taken his job once already.

But the Bruins return relatively intact, and why would anyone give up on a guy who never gave up on himself?

“Whenever there were really challenging times – times when I was playing in the minors, when it was just hard to find a job for another minor league team the next year – I just always asked myself, ‘Do you enjoy going to practice?’ ” Thomas said. “I always enjoyed going to practice, and that’s why I never quit. I still enjoyed playing – any way in any league I could. I just wanted to play.”

He still does. His aunt Judy Torok said she asked him what is next goal would be. His response? “To do better next year.”

“I think there’s more to come,” Barrow said. “If you know Tim … “

Godfather
08-26-2011, 05:43 AM
Woops! Missed that. Great article

In other news... the media is still wetting its pants with Sydney Crosby's health being so up in the air still!! I hope he is ok, but damn it's not worth being a babbling idiot if his brain is so damaged from concussions already at age 23 :wha: Maybe retirement would be best. It sure would be a shame, he's a great hockey player who could break a lot of records.

But you read about Lindros, waking up with nigh terrors and being ill all the time. The man is sick because of the toll some unlucky hits took on him, and there are more like him. Not worth it.

samarchepas
08-26-2011, 06:14 AM
He plans on coming back...but he takes all the time he needs to heal (best thing to do)...you can replace an arm or a leg...not a brain.

Godfather
08-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Yep. Obviously he's not going to quit that easily. He loves the game and still has a lot to do.

But all he'd have to do is ask a doctor to say he can't play and that would settle it for him. And if I were him, I'd probably be strongly considering it. I'd bet his family is worried as hell. The game isn't worth forgetting the faces of your parents and friends :wha:

samarchepas
08-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Former NHLer Wade Belak has been found dead in Toronto, according to a Nashville Predators spokesman.

The cause of his death is as of yet undetermined.

The team released the following statement:

“The entire Nashville Predators organization and family is shocked and saddened by the sudden and untimely passing of Wade Belak. Wade was a beloved member of the organization, a terrific teammate and wonderful father and husband who will be greatly missed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife Jennifer and children Andie and Alex. We offer our full support to them at this very difficult time.”

Another one....:wtf:

Oops...I forgot...:rip:

Godfather
09-01-2011, 01:15 AM
What the ef :( Three enforcers in one off-season. Time to do some serious looking into how the league deals with depression and head-injuries

Speaking of which... Savard has been written off for the entire next season already, and his career sounds like it's probably done :(

samarchepas
09-01-2011, 01:28 AM
Reports say that he killed himself, and about Savard...he should really just retire (His situation looks a LOT worse than Crosby)

Godfather
09-01-2011, 02:28 AM
I can still picture that hit from Cooke *shudders*

samarchepas
09-01-2011, 02:44 AM
I had to go check the hit tbh...I'm not against checks (AT ALL...they are part of the game) but he was without a doubt aiming the head on that play, which should be banned (And will be this year ) Another thing to do...Less armor on the players! Their equipment is ridiculously hard...so no harm for the player himself...but for his adversary it's not the same thing.

Godfather
09-01-2011, 03:01 AM
It's the definition of a Rule 48 -illegal lateral check to the head banned last year from how I read it. Savard was going towards the net, Cooke was coming from the side and got in his way, just about popped his head off. That has been against the rules for over a year now.

I still think a hit from straight in front should not be punishable by suspension just because a player is caught looking down or not paying attention, especially behind the net or coming across the blue line. But... the words 'lateral' and 'blindside' are now gone... Now the rules say that if a player puts his own head down to stare at the puck (something he has been taught since day one not to do) and he gets hit in the head because he stuck it out in front of him, the fault is on the hit-ee as opposed to the hit-ed regardless of how dumb or obvious it was. I don't get that...

So a d-man needs to veer off when he's about to check a center, dead ahead, coming across the blue-line because the center suddenly puts his head down? That's bizarre.

It's the blindside hits like Cookes that really are bad. These east-west, blindsided hits are lethal.

samarchepas
09-01-2011, 03:32 AM
Yup...He could not see the hit coming...and Cooke knew too well what he was going to hit (the head) HEADS UP should always be rule #1 in hockey (always the case in junior ...should be the same in the NHL.It's like players that turn when they see someone about to hit them just not to be hit...that should be worth a 2 minutes penalty.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Anyone interested in getting a fantasy league going this year? Tried 2 years ago at AS but there wasn't enough interest, All we'd need is a minimum of 6 teams, so we would need at least 5 more people that are interested.

Figured I'd ask early this year to give people enough notice about it.

DemonGeminiX
09-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Fuck it, I'll do it. I'll get my ass kicked because I'll just be drafting as many Flyers as I can, but what the hell.

8-[

MrsM
09-06-2011, 04:06 PM
I'll be in - how do we pick and what kind of rules are we looking at?

samarchepas
09-06-2011, 04:16 PM
I was in for the last 2 attempts...I guess I will this time too! :lol:

Godfather
09-06-2011, 04:23 PM
I'd be in for this for sure!! :D That's 5 too, and I'm sure we could get any one of Joebob, RBP or Hal?

What website would be the best to use?

Teh One Who Knocks
09-06-2011, 04:38 PM
:woot:

We'd do it through Yahoo, they are the easiest and simplest to use :thumbsup:

I'll get it set up :dance2:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-06-2011, 04:39 PM
I'll be in - how do we pick and what kind of rules are we looking at?

I usually set the leagues for auto-draft. All the players are already ranked based on past performance, but if there's players you like better that you want on your team, you just adjust those rankings.

samarchepas
09-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Didn't get enough people 2 years in a row...third time's a charm huh? :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Didn't get enough people 2 years in a row...third time's a charm huh? :lol:

:shhh: Don't jinx it :P

samarchepas
09-06-2011, 04:51 PM
:oops: technically we still need one more...:(....:lol:

RBP
09-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Oh fuck it, I'll play. This will be hard.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-06-2011, 04:54 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Oh fuck it, I'll play. This will be hard.

It's actually not any harder than the baseball league

RBP
09-06-2011, 04:58 PM
It's actually not any harder than the baseball league

I suppose I can interpret stats like anything else.

DemonGeminiX
09-06-2011, 05:01 PM

I suppose I can interpret stats like anything else.

If they're in French, I'm not playing.

RBP
09-06-2011, 05:03 PM
If they're in French, I'm not playing.

RBP
09-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks. My team is "On Thin Ice"

Joebob034
09-06-2011, 05:43 PM
In - I believe I'm the defending champion

Teh One Who Knocks
09-06-2011, 05:51 PM
In - I believe I'm the defending champion

Defending champion of what? :-s

:slap:

Joebob034
09-06-2011, 05:52 PM
of life

DemonGeminiX
09-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks. My team is "On Thin Ice"

Did he create the league already?

samarchepas
09-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Did he create the league already?

4 teams created so far...:lol:

MrsM
09-06-2011, 06:32 PM
4 teams created so far...:lol:

Is there a link? Where do I signup?

Teh One Who Knocks
09-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Is there a link? Where do I signup?

http://tehbasement.com/showthread.php?13884-2011-2012-NHL-Fantasy-Hockey-League

Godfather
09-07-2011, 02:37 AM
2 weeks till exhibition starts :mrgreen:

Should be an interesting season. Like one sports writer said earlier, there are at least 10 teams that could win the cup and and not shock the world this year :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-07-2011, 12:30 PM
2 weeks till exhibition starts :mrgreen:

Should be an interesting season. Like one sports writer said earlier, there are at least 10 teams that could win the cup and and not shock the world this year :lol:

I know that repeating is a very tough thing to do, but now that the B's have the monkey off their back and were able to win the Cup last season, I do like their chances this year to go for back-to-back. Barring injury, they remained pretty much intact over the off season and if Timmy can play anywhere near the level he did last season, they should be able to make a good run.

Of course now that I said that, they will finish dead last this year :lol:

Godfather
09-07-2011, 03:41 PM
I know that repeating is a very tough thing to do, but now that the B's have the monkey off their back and were able to win the Cup last season, I do like their chances this year to go for back-to-back. Barring injury, they remained pretty much intact over the off season and if Timmy can play anywhere near the level he did last season, they should be able to make a good run.

Of course now that I said that, they will finish dead last this year :lol:

All you and I can really hope for is that our teams get all the way back to the finals again. :lol: It happened just a couple years ago with Detroit and Pittsburgh getting a rematch!!!

Oh... and *knocks on wood*

samarchepas
09-07-2011, 03:43 PM
All you and I can really hope for is that our teams get all the way back to the finals again. :lol: It happened just a couple years ago with Detroit and Pittsburgh getting a rematch!!!

Oh... and *knocks on wood*
No major changes on both teams, could happen :lol:

Godfather
09-07-2011, 03:47 PM
No major changes on both teams, could happen :lol:

Here's hoping :lol:

According to one sports writer: Canucks, Sharks, Red Wings, Blackhawks, Kings, Capitals, Flyers, Bruins, Sabres, Rangers, Lightning are all contenders who wouldn't surprise anyone by winning (at least starting into the season)

I'm going to order a Jets jersey/hat (new ones were announced yesterday) and try cheering for an underdog this year :mrgreen:

MrsM
09-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Here's hoping :lol:

According to one sports writer: Canucks, Sharks, Red Wings, Blackhawks, Kings, Capitals, Flyers, Bruins, Sabres, Rangers, Lightning are all contenders who wouldn't surprise anyone by winning (at least starting into the season)

I'm going to order a Jets jersey/hat (new ones were announced yesterday) and try cheering for an underdog this year :mrgreen:

What - the Leafs aren't on that list

:) sorry - Even I couldn't say that with a straight face

Teh One Who Knocks
09-07-2011, 04:01 PM
What - the Leafs aren't on that list

:) sorry - Even I couldn't say that with a straight face

The Leafs are always on the list for a chance at #1 :tup:

Draft pick that is :P

:outtahere:

samarchepas
09-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Until they trade that said draft pick for an overrated player later :lol:

MrsM
09-07-2011, 04:14 PM

Until they trade that said draft pick for an overrated player later :lol:

I have no comeback for either of these - well played gentlemen, well played :sad2:

Godfather
09-07-2011, 04:22 PM
I think the Leafs make the playoffs this year :-k

samarchepas
09-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Sorry but I can't say that they will make the playoffs (My 2nd most hated team in the NHL...after the Bruins :lol: )

MrsM
09-07-2011, 05:40 PM
playoffs would be sweet :dance:

samarchepas
09-07-2011, 05:45 PM
playoffs would be sweet :dance:

In most Canadian team if they don't make it to the playoffs = instant outrage...except Toronto....:outtahere:...ok I'm shutting up now...:lol:

MrsM
09-07-2011, 06:26 PM
In most Canadian team if they don't make it to the playoffs = instant outrage...except Toronto....:outtahere:...ok I'm shutting up now...:lol:

That's because some Canadian team supporters whole lives revolve around their team winning to give them meaning in their own lives. Toronto fans enjoy and applaud a good game even if we lose because we truely love the game.

At least that's what we keep telling ourselves :)

Teh One Who Knocks
09-07-2011, 06:35 PM

samarchepas
09-07-2011, 06:38 PM
That's because some Canadian team supporters whole lives revolve around their team winning to give them meaning in their own lives. Toronto fans enjoy and applaud a good game even if we lose because we truely love the game.

Not all of you :lol: (Many people are wearing paper bags at each games...and I won't even talk about that guy that threw a waffle on the ice last year :lol:.) But I kinda wish that this "Win or else!" mentality was not in Montreal...you get better players in the draft when you finish in 15th in your conference...it sucks when it happens but its better than finishing 7th or 8th in your conference and get kicked out of the playoffs in the first round
every year (on the long term)

Teh One Who Knocks
09-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Not all of you :lol: (Many people are wearing paper bags at each games...and I won't even talk about that guy that threw a waffle on the ice last year :lol:.) But I kinda wish that this "Win or else!" mentality was not in Montreal...you get better players in the draft when you finish in 15th in your conference...it sucks when it happens but its better than finishing 7th or 8th in your conference and get kicked out of the playoffs in the first round
every year (on the long term)

Oh just hush now, the Habs have won the most Stanley Cups of all time and for the longest time, they made the playoffs every year and always went deep into the playoffs. It's about time you guys have a little bit of mediocrity to deal with :nono:

(Most) Habs fans are just as bad as Yankees fans, they consider the whole season a waste if it doesn't end in a championship. :P

Try being a fan of a team like the Islanders or the Sabres or the Leafs....then you can start to complain about bad seasons :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-07-2011, 06:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LyN4V.png

:cheers:

I wish I could be at the game when they raise the banner...it will be nuts there :sad2:

samarchepas
09-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Oh just hush now, the Habs have won the most Stanley Cups of all time and for the longest time, they made the playoffs every year and always went deep into the playoffs. It's about time you guys have a little bit of mediocrity to deal with :nono:

(Most) Habs fans are just as bad as Yankees fans, they consider the whole season a waste if it doesn't end in a championship. :P

Try being a fan of a team like the Islanders or the Sabres or the Leafs....then you can start to complain about bad seasons :lol:
The Leafs had a great opportunity to get better...but the Bruins had the better of it...For the Islanders, it was a great team...bad management messed it up (BAD :lol: ) But I would not put Buffalo on your list...they changed owner and they finally will be able to spend like they should.And no I will not disagree one bit with what you said about most Habs fans :lol:...its just that I was 4 years old when they won their last one :lol: (But I'm realistic, unlike some fans...30 teams now...easier to win it when there was just 8 )

DemonGeminiX
09-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Go Flyers!!!

:cheerlead:

8-[

Teh One Who Knocks
09-07-2011, 06:58 PM
The Leafs had a great opportunity to get better...but the Bruins had the better of it...For the Islanders, it was a great team...bad management messed it up (BAD :lol: ) But I would not put Buffalo on your list...they changed owner and they finally will be able to spend like they should.And no I will not disagree one bit with what you said about most Habs fans :lol:...its just that I was 4 years old when they won their last one :lol: (But I'm realistic, unlike some fans...30 teams now...easier to win it when there was just 8 )

Buffalo still needs to prove that they want to be one of the big boys on the block. Even though they have new ownership, the money spent won't mean anything until they can back it up on the ice.

And I put them on the list because they haven't ever won anything and they have had some damn good players and their fans are always great. They could just not break through.....only 2 trips to the Cup finals in their history, and both losses.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Go Flyers!!!

:cheerlead:

8-[

They should be ready for the season, it's not like they used much energy up in the playoffs last year :nana:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Man, I just read that Marc Savard will miss the whole season and his career may even be over because of that concussion he suffered last season :wha:

DemonGeminiX
09-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Man, I just read that Marc Savard will miss the whole season and his career may even be over because of that concussion he suffered last season :wha:

It's probably for the best if he does retire. You don't want to be messin' around with concussions.

samarchepas
09-07-2011, 07:27 PM
He made some money anyway....better retire now than suffer from it for the rest of his life (Like I said earlier when the news came out like 2 weeks ago...you can replace an arm but not your head)

Godfather
09-08-2011, 02:31 AM
Buffalo still needs to prove that they want to be one of the big boys on the block. Even though they have new ownership, the money spent won't mean anything until they can back it up on the ice.

And I put them on the list because they haven't ever won anything and they have had some damn good players and their fans are always great. They could just not break through.....only 2 trips to the Cup finals in their history, and both losses.

For sure. I kinda want to see them crash and burn after throwing around ridiculous amounts of cash. That Erhoff contract? :rofl: Oh boy...

Teh One Who Knocks
09-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Chelios Named To U.S. Hockey Hall Of Fame
CBS Chicago

(CBS) Former Blackhawks defenseman Chris Chelios was named to the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Monday.

Chelios is part of a class that also includes former Blackhawks defenseman Gary Suter.

Chelios played a record-tying 26 seasons in the NHL, including nine with the Blackhawks. He won three Norris Trophies and was a four-time Olympian. Chelios also played six seasons in Montreal, 10 with Detroit and finished his career with the Atlanta Thrashers in 2010.

Suter played a little over four seasons with the Blackhawks.

Other members of the latest Hall of Fame class include Keith Tkachuk and broadcaster Mike Emrick.

Joebob034
09-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Wings way of honoring their fallen brothers

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/wings/story/2011-09-17/red-wings-honor-mccrimmon-salei/50444958/1

samarchepas
09-20-2011, 03:57 PM
First preseason game tonight! :cheerlead::cheerlead::cheerlead:!

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Boston doesn't play until tomorrow and the Avalanche on Thursday :(

MrsM
09-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Toronto played Ottawa last night and WON! - :woohoo:

Godfather
09-20-2011, 04:31 PM
First Canucks exhibition game tonight too :mrgreen: Not too many faces out there who will be on the main squad but it'll be good to watch some hockey no less

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2011, 04:53 PM
It's hard to get excited about pre-season games tho :lol:

samarchepas
09-20-2011, 05:01 PM
It's hard to get excited about pre-season games tho :lol:

False! I'm quite excited by it...not the games themselves, its just that it's the only time of the year that you get to see the young players that you don't get to see otherwise.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-27-2011, 10:46 PM
GLAAD calls for Simmonds apology for anti-gay slur

NEW YORK (AP)—The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation is calling for Philadelphia Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds(notes) to apologize for a slur that appeared to be directed at Sean Avery(notes) of the New York Rangers.

The organization also wants the NHL to educate its fans about such hate speech.

Video replay appeared to catch Simmonds making an anti-gay slur against Avery during a preseason game in Philadelphia on Monday night. Avery confirmed that Simmonds made the remark, and Simmonds didn’t deny saying it.

“Hate speech and anti-gay slurs have no place on the ice rink,” GLAAD acting president Mike Thompson said in a statement. “The word that Simmonds used is the same word that is hurled at LGBT youth on the playground and in our schools, creating a climate of intolerance and hostility.

“He should not only apologize for this anti-gay outburst, but the Philadelphia Flyers and the NHL have a responsibility to take action and educate their fans about why this word is unacceptable.”

GLAAD said it is talking to the Flyers and the NHL about what specific steps can be taken.

The NHL didn’t immediately comment.

GLAAD said it has worked with sports leagues such as the NBA, Major League Baseball, and the World Wrestling Federation to address issues of homophobia in sports

:ffs:

Godfather
09-28-2011, 01:56 AM
You know what the worst part is... everyone was all up in arms less than a week ago about someone throwing a banana at Simmonds and police are still investigating that incident :roll:

samarchepas
09-28-2011, 02:20 AM
:ffs:

Yup, seeing who the "victim" is...Sean Avery, probably the worst player to say shit like that! :lol:

Godfather
09-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Sounds a more and more like Mason Raymond might never play hockey again after breaking his back on a freak hit during the playoffs :(

Should be interesting to see the start of this season with no Raymond or Kesler and Malhotra fresh off two more operations on his eye :-k I think combining that with a very on-the-road November and the Canucks would be happy to start December just above .500 :-k

DemonGeminiX
09-30-2011, 03:22 AM
Let the pussification of the league continue.

Godfather
09-30-2011, 04:45 AM
:lol: Shanahan bringing down the hammer eh.

samarchepas
09-30-2011, 08:24 PM
:lol: Shanahan bringing down the hammer eh.

Doing what his job...nothing more :lol:...clear changes were made to rule 48...he enforces it perfectly.On a business perspective here...when a guy miss almost a year because of a head shot (for example Sydney Crosby) That is BAD for a league.Hockey is a contact sport...we all love it this way and it should not change to the point of not having any checks at all (Its not a ice skating competition after all :lol: ) I'm not against banning head shots though...remember that you only have a brain and you can't replace it (Ask Savard how he feels right now)

Godfather
10-01-2011, 01:22 AM
The no-head shots thing isn't my problem sam. Obvious the players need protection. I'm still of the opinion that if a player gets caught head-down and is hit by someone who keeps his arms low and didn't attack from the blind-side, that it just can't be suspendable... That's moronic. But whatever.... I haven't seen any poor enforcement yet. It's so far all obviously "intentional" and high that has earned suspentions so I'm good with how it's being called.

It's the late-hit thing I can see the league getting carried away with. That's my concern. Guys aren't going to hit if they're worried that it'll be considered 'late' when the puck was just passed or coughed away. It could change the look of the game in a boring way

samarchepas
10-01-2011, 01:33 AM
The no-head shots thing is a no-brainer. Obvious the players need protection. I'm still of the opinion that if a player's head is down and he gets hit by someone who kept his arms low and didn't attack from the blind-side, that it just can't be suspendable... If a forwards comes up the middle or behind the net and is paying attention, you're obviously allowed to stand him up face-on and knock him on his ass. But if he looks down or away, you have to ease off? That's moronic. But whatever....

But the late-hit thing I can see the league getting carried away with. That's my concern. Guys aren't going to hit if they're worried that it'll be considered 'late' as the puck was just passed or coughed away. And then we'll have soccer on ice :roll:

I see your point here but we have not seen that so far (Shanahan has been in this league for 20+ years...knows what it is to play in the NHL in the first players 656 goals more than Campbell :lol:) Might take a while for the players to get used to the rule (to see what is and what is not legal)

Godfather
10-01-2011, 01:56 AM
For sure. Going to be a bit of an adjustment. I'm shocked at how many games Shanahan has already suspended players from :lol: But I haven't seen any hits that were necessary to the good of the game being punished yet so for now I'm just being a worry-wart

samarchepas
10-01-2011, 02:35 AM
For sure. Going to be a bit of an adjustment. I'm shocked at how many games Shanahan has already suspended players from :lol: But I haven't seen any hits that were necessary to the good of the game being punished yet so for now I'm just being a worry-wart

ALL of the suspensions he gave COULD have been bad...you have to consider the play itself...not it's consequences.

deebakes
10-01-2011, 03:33 AM
when does the season even start? seems like a lot of build up :-k

DemonGeminiX
10-01-2011, 03:42 AM
Thursday.

deebakes
10-01-2011, 03:44 AM
next thursday or a week from thursday or yesterday?

DemonGeminiX
10-01-2011, 03:44 AM
Next week, October 6th.

samarchepas
10-01-2011, 03:46 AM
next thursday or a week from thursday or yesterday?

Thursday October 6th 2011...precise enough? :lol:

deebakes
10-01-2011, 03:49 AM
Next week, October 6th.

:tup:

Thursday October 6th 2011...precise enough? :lol:

samarchepas
10-01-2011, 04:02 AM
:facepalm:....forgot the time...7 PM Eastern Time :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Let the pussification of the league continue.

This ^^

Godfather
10-02-2011, 02:05 AM
This ^^

It's sam's fault :x

DemonGeminiX
10-02-2011, 02:19 AM
When I said that pussification thing, I was referring to the Wayne Simmonds "gay-slur" article. I thought it was ridiculous to make an issue out of it. Godfather kinda snuck a post in before mine before I noticed it.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Shady
10-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Crosby is back on the injured list.

Godfather
10-04-2011, 03:50 PM
When I said that pussification thing, I was referring to the Wayne Simmonds "gay-slur" article. I thought it was ridiculous to make an issue out of it. Godfather kinda snuck a post in before mine before I noticed it.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Ahh that was ridiculous... it doesn't take any imagination to know how bad the language is out there on the ice :lol:

samarchepas
10-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Speaking of Avery...he will be put on waivers in the next 9 minutes :lol:

Godfather
10-04-2011, 03:56 PM
If the Canucks picked him up I would fucking lose my mind

Teh One Who Knocks
10-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Ahh that was ridiculous... it doesn't take any imagination to know how bad the language is out there on the ice :lol:

Take that back you poophead :x

samarchepas
10-04-2011, 03:57 PM
If the Canucks picked him up I would fucking lose my mind

They got Burrows and Lapierre already :lol: no need for that guy (I'm hoping the same for the Habs tbh :lol:)

Teh One Who Knocks
10-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Pat Tillman tribute featured on Jason LaBarbera’s stunning mask
By Greg Wyshynski - Puck Daddy NHL Blog

Like many National Hockey League goaltenders, Jason LaBarbera(notes) of the Phoenix Coyotes was in the market for a new mask design for the upcoming season. Previously, he had worn inventive color schemes that honored disparate muses like Metallica and pro wrestling. This year, he came to artist David Arrigo with a much different kind of inspiration:

http://i.imgur.com/S7AX3.jpg

LaBarbera wanted a mask that honored both the U.S. and Canadian Armed Forces serving overseas. More specifically, he wanted one side of the mask to honor the late Pat Tillman; the defensive back for the Arizona Cardinals who left the NFL to enlist in the U.S. Army with his brother after 9/11, and who was killed by friendly fire on April 22, 2004 in Afghanistan.

The mask depicts Tillman and his brother in military gear, along with an image of Pat Tillman as a member of the Cardinals, who like LaBarbera's Coyotes play in Glendale.

"I had read a book about Tillman prior to the request and had taken great interest in the story," said Arrigo, whose goalie mask creations are found on his official website.

Tillman's death in action was a controversial one, as the Army covered up the details of his shooting. That led to a congressional inquiry about it, and eventually an award-winning documentary called "The Tillman Story" that examined the scandal.

"With all circumstances leading up to the passing of Pat Tillman aside, I felt that he put a face to the everyday soldier," said Arrigo.

http://i.imgur.com/FkREG.jpg

The opposite side of the mask features a single, faceless solider with helicopters above his head. Throughout the mask is a red-and-sand-colored camouflage that matches the Coyotes' team colors.

Pat Tillman tribute featured on Jason LaBarbera’s stunning maskPart of the design: Multiples stars and maple leafs that serve as a tribute to "both Canadian and American forces serving in their respective theaters," said Arrigo.

On the front of the mask is a yellow ribbon, an acknowledgement that those serving overseas are in the thoughts of those back home.

This isn't the first time Tillman's been honored by the Coyotes. In 2004, forward Mike Ricci changed his sweater number to No. 40 in honor of Tillman. In 2007, Coyotes captain Shane Doan(notes) and his wife received the Pat Tillman Community Leadership Award.

Arrigo said the mask was a perfect way to honor Tillman and the rest of the men and women still serving around the world.

"Personally, whether or not you agree with the actions overseas, I feel we need to support, to no end, our brave forces," he said.

For information about the Pat Tillman Foundation, visit its official site. Visit Arrigo on Facebook for more goalie designs.

http://i.imgur.com/bsIBn.jpg

Godfather
10-05-2011, 03:01 AM
Oh my god it's so fuggin cool :lol: I was disappointed when we let LaBarbra go... he was a cool guy. Pretty bad ass

deebakes
10-05-2011, 03:03 AM
that helmet is pretty sweet.

samarchepas
10-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Great helmet! :tup: (Season starts TODAY!!! :cheerlead: :cheerlead: :cheerlead: )

Godfather
10-06-2011, 02:27 PM
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY HOCKEY :mrgreen:

Let's do this shit :cheerlead::cheerlead::cheerlead:

Joebob034
10-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Wow didn't even realize it was the Wings opener tonight. I can't remember the last time they were the third most talked about team in town.

samarchepas
10-09-2011, 03:19 PM
First season game tonight in Winnipeg in over 15 years! (against the Habs)

samarchepas
10-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Beat the Jets 5-1 but the fans still gave their team a standing ovation at the end of the game...ONLY IN CANADA!! (Not saying that some USA teams don't have a great fanbase)

Godfather
10-13-2011, 01:44 AM
Awesome Canucks-Phili game on right now. 4-4 and still almost an entire period to go.

Godfather
10-13-2011, 01:45 AM
Eek, 5-4 phili! Damn this game is nuts

Teh One Who Knocks
10-18-2011, 11:37 AM
I wonder who won the Leafs/Avs game last night :shifty:

MrsM
10-18-2011, 01:58 PM
At least we got a point :) - Leafs did not deserve to be in that game - too many turnovers - very sloppy

Teh One Who Knocks
10-18-2011, 02:06 PM
The Avs are 5-0 on their road trip :shock:

Godfather
10-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Yeah what the hell are the Avs doing :lol: Unreal.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-18-2011, 03:59 PM
It's crazy :shock:

samarchepas
10-18-2011, 04:11 PM
It's crazy :shock:

You don't win the Stanley Cup in October BUT its still quite an achievement considering that they finished 14th in the west conference last year. (still trying to digest that 6-5 against the Habs :lol: )
its a young team...will probably have it's up and downs all season long (Hejduk and Hejda being the only 2 players over the age of 30! :shock: )

Teh One Who Knocks
10-18-2011, 04:12 PM
I think the Avs started out last season red hot too...and we know how that ended :lol:

Godfather
10-18-2011, 04:31 PM
:lol: Who knows, I hope there is more competition in the Northwest division this year. The Canucks need some fire under their asses...

samarchepas
10-18-2011, 04:32 PM
The Leafs did the same last year (4-0) if I remember correctly :-k...we also know how it ended :lol: